posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing
Dave Royal Dave Royal is offline

Default GibSea 33

Jan wrote:

That's the one. The classification is European, and built up as you
indicate, but comparing to other similar boats of same size I do not
understand why it is this category.

In my French almanac, a Category B boat is designed for 'offshore' ("au
large") up to wind force 8 and waves up to 4m. A Cat A boat is for
further, windier, and wavier.

This site (in French)
http://perso.orange.fr/etoiledelune/...u_armement.htm
- which seems to be up to date - gives correspondance between the
category of the boat (A to D) and the category of navigation (1st to
6th). That suggests that 'offshore' is up to 200m from shelter.

None of which says what category a GibSea 33 should be in, but B sounds
reasonable.

Neither does it explain why the Jeanneau 35, for which I have a brochure
in front of me, says: Category A-8/B-8/C-10! Maybe it depends on the
type of keel.

Dave
--
(Remove any numerics from my email address.)