Default food for thought

For those of us who enjoy eating pasta, and are also concerned about
eating "healthy" food, the whole wheat spiral noodles are a great way
to enjoy any of the pasta dishes, and the pasta stretches further
because you fill up faster and eat less of it. Ezekiel 4:17 sells
*sprouted* whole wheat noodles which I adore, but they're only
sporadically kept in Publix. They also make a "kashi" (usually in the
hot cereal section) which is a to-die-for mixture of about 8 different
grains, which I use instead of brown rice sometimes. Very Yummy and
really gives you a sense of "substance". Let's not forget our fiber!!

Meanwhile, as Pam Wall says, take what you like to eat!!! Most people
live on a very small variety of meals, repeating the same menus over
and over. That's probably what you should have on board.

I'm about to go shopping for my "canned goods" as we set out to the
Bahamas where we won't be found eating out very much!

Lydia
S/V Flying Pig

KLC Lewis wrote:
"Semi-Local" wrote in message
ps.com...

The classic cookbooks for cruising are Corinne Kanter's The Galley KISS
Cookbook and The Cruising KISS Cookbook. Her philosophy is to use a
limited number of readily available ingredients to create healthy and
easy-to-cook meals. This is her "KISS: Keep It Simple System" of
cooking onboard!

Diana Doyle

Shaun Van Poecke wrote:
Im looking for any and all recipes out there that keep you going! Best
of
all are single burner recipes that use ingredients which dont require
refrigeration, have the least amount of preparation required, are fast to
cook and have enough nutritional value to be considered as a daily meal~

One of my old stand-bys for quick and easy boat food (though I wouldn't want
to eat it every day) is very simple:

Stovetop Tuna & Noodles

For two healthy servings, boil one cup of elbow macaroni til it's almost
done, drain. Add a can of condensed Cream of Mushroom soup and a can of
water (if you're on low water rations, retain the drain water from the
macaroni and use that instead of new). Mix well and bring back to a simmer,
then add in a can of albacore tuna. Season to taste.

Simple and tasty. You can also do lots of variations on this theme by using
different canned meats (turkey, chicken, dried beef, cooked beef or pork)
and different condensed soups. Or you can substitue cooked white rice or
quinoa for the macaroni. Mix and match these simple ingredients and you can
have quite a range of 'three ingredient stovetop meals."

Jeff wrote in news:_4-
:

If you want real Kona, you might try one of the farmers listed he
http://konacoffeefarmers.org/

For the last few years I've used this small farm:
http://www.smithfarms.com/

Thanks. I get lots of 100% Konas in my care packages. Mavro was just one
that wasn't.

--
http://www.epic.org/privacy/rfid/verichip.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VeriChip

"Bob" wrote in news:1167502568.674020.151100
@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

But then again I wish I just had a friend.
Bob

Poor Bob!

It's 2007, soon. The IRS will be your friend, then....until April.

--
http://www.epic.org/privacy/rfid/verichip.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VeriChip
http://www.verichipcorp.com/
Tracked like a dog, every license/product/tax.
Revelation 13:16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor,
free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their
foreheads:
17 and that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the
name of the beast, or the number of his name...

The following is not necessarily a boat recipe; however, it can be
considered a traditional kind of New Year's Day dish.

Enjoy
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++
Cabbage And Spuds

From The Warped Mind And Inclined Galley Of Lew Hodgett

INGREDIENTS:

1 Lb, Sliced Bacon, cut in 1" wide strips
6, Medium White Potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2" cubes
1 Head, Green Cabbage, cleaned, quartered, cored and sliced into 1/2"
strips.
46 Fl Oz, Can of V8 Juice.
Kosher Salt and fresh cracked black pepper.

DIRECTIONS:

Using a 6 qt, cast iron Dutch oven, render bacon crisp, then remove and

pour off excess grease, retaining about 2 tablespoons.

Return bacon to pot, add potatoes, toss with bacon and season to taste.

Add cabbage to potatoes and bacon, then toss and season to taste.

Add V8 juice, then stir and season to taste.

Cover and cook on top of stove over low heat for 20-30 minutes or until

potatoes are done, stirring often.

Remove from heat, let rest for 15 minutes before serving.

Serve with crusty pieces of French bread.

Try a cookbook called The Two Burner Gourmet by Terry Searfoss, I have used
this on many voyages and it is not only useful, its funny.

Sterling

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 14:16:44 GMT, "Shaun Van Poecke"
wrote:
el sniperino
I've heard mixed things about potatoes, maybe it depends on the climate?
Some old sailing literature shows that they were carried on longer coyages,
joshua slocum carried a couple of barrels of potatos on the spray, but he
got a bad deal on rotten nasty potatoes in south america. He cant say
enough good things about potatoes.

yes, but what about that welsh salt who eat nothing but "burgaboo" or
something. A layered mixture of whiskey soaked oatmeal and pureed
sardines. He also fed this to a dog. Can you imagine the stench?