Default food for thought

Im looking for any and all recipes out there that keep you going! Best of
all are single burner recipes that use ingredients which dont require
refrigeration, have the least amount of preparation required, are fast to
cook and have enough nutritional value to be considered as a daily meal~

Most 'camp recipes' i come across seam to be smores based or similar ie. a
nice treat to have on a weekend campout, but not what youd really call food.
What im really hoping for is as many recipes as possible of things you
actually cook while cruising, especially things you'd cook on longer
cruises, like more than 2 weeks for example.

Recipes that require two burners are still great, as are recipes that
require fish, or some that require meat that can be refrigerated,m but the
best recipes of all are the ones that you can still have when at sea for an
extended period of time.....

Im also hunting through cookbooks of everyone i know and searching the net
for recipes (any links greatly appreciated!). The results will be published
as a free website that will hopefully be a good resource for us in future.

Thanks,
Shaun

Bob Bob is offline

Shaun Van Poecke wrote:
Im looking for any and all recipes out there that keep you going! Thanks,
Shaun

Organic soy milk and oatmeal. Cheep, very healthy, stores forever. The
soy aint milk so dont whine. COnsider it a tasty drink with a year
shelf life.

Cuscus. Not the **** in a box. Get plain bulk grain. It looks like
cornmeal. Add warm water and anything else. Very tasty. And the fastest
cooking grain Ive found. That is, just add hot water and let sit
covered.

Pan bread. Mix water and whole wheat flower. Maybe a llittle salt.
Basically make a pan cake and fry it in olive oil. Ummmm. Got cheep
tasty bread. Of course you should add spices and maybe a little
parmisan cheese on top. I think ya got focata then.

Cabage, onions, carrots, beets etc. If yoiur in that part of the world.
They last forever if hung........ maybe 3 weeks in the tropics. Then ya
got vegi soup.

Pickled fish?
Pickled eggs?
Pickled pickles? and other veggies............. I wouldnot go too far.
You might end up with kimchi.

Corn tortillas. They never rot. I wonder why?!?!?
Can of chicken breast
Spice well. Bada Bing yas got tacos.

lots of fruits

SEA VEGTABLES FOOL ! Its only called sea-weed by us. Every one else
considers that stuff that goes floating by a free lunch. There are
several books on gathering and preparing sea vegies of the worlde. For
example, That green stuff that wraps Shushi is called Nori by us and
sp. Ulva Ulva by the marine botanist and lunch by everyone else.

lentals soften fastest of all the dried beans. Soup them, mash them for
a paste on your pan bread, sprout them for fresh greens.
Wow....... grain and legume a complimentary combination.
Read that old book titled, "Diet for a Small Planet" Excellent advice.

Once you get traveling you'll see how the rest of the world
lives............ sleep on the floor, either use hands or sticks to
eat, and no refrigeration. It aint rocket science, its called poverty.

Oh, just eat less. Youll lose weight and be healthier. Ever calclate
you BMI? Bleive me we can ALL eat less and be healthier.

Dude, by your question I get the feeling ya havnt cooked much for
yourself. How many times a week do you eat out or open a can or a box
and call it a meal? You may need to learn how to cook. If it comes in a
box or can it ainit cookin.

I dint metion air dried fish or even eating your fish RAW for fear of
getting all the it aint safe fish wimps and haters.

have fun. be adaptable. live longer cheeper.

Shaun Van Poecke wrote:
Im looking for any and all recipes out there that keep you going!

Get a copy of M Greenwald's book, "Cruising Chef Cookbook".

Equipment:

6 qt, S/S pressure cooker
4 qt, cast Iron Dutch Oven
8 qt, stock pot with strainer for cooking and draining pasta.
Dehydrator
Pepper mill
Cheese grater
Additions as required.

Supplies:

Legumes, pasta, rice, canned chopped clams, canned meats, canned
tomatoes, flour, sugar, chocolate, popcorn, hard cheese.

Fresh onions, cabbage, carrots, etc, store well, potatoes don't.

Spices:

Salt, pepper corns, bay leaves, additions as required.

Bay leaves in flour, rice, etc, keep the bugs out.

Have fun.

Lew

In article ,
"Shaun Van Poecke" wrote:

Im looking for any and all recipes out there that keep you going! Best of
all are single burner recipes that use ingredients which dont require
refrigeration, have the least amount of preparation required, are fast to
cook and have enough nutritional value to be considered as a daily meal~

Most 'camp recipes' i come across seam to be smores based or similar ie. a
nice treat to have on a weekend campout, but not what youd really call food.
What im really hoping for is as many recipes as possible of things you
actually cook while cruising, especially things you'd cook on longer
cruises, like more than 2 weeks for example.

We've cruised up to three weeks with what we had on board, other than
incidentals that don't keep well, like bread. We didn't have to, but it
was a good exercise that could be done while we found out how far we
could go in 3 weeks on the ICW (ans: over 900 nm).

Starting with a pretty efficient main ice box and frozen meats, we had
meat of some sort almost every dinner. The fresh fish, of course, went
first, and we were down to foil packets at the end, but we found we
could eat about the same we do at home, sometimes better, such as when
we got crabs or shrimp straight from the watermen -- ambrosia.

We do most of our heavy cooking on the propane grill on the rail, as the
cabin gets too hot. The grill works as an oven to some extent, but that
takes practice.

For most cruising, say coastal, ICW or most of the Caribbean, planning
for a week is sufficient, as you're rarely more than a day or two from
somewhere where people live. They'll have food -- and ice ;-) Might not
be what you're used to, but sampling local fare is one reason we travel.

That said, there are *many* possible totally unrefrigerated meals,
starting with most of what you eat at home, but there will be some
adaptations. Stroll down your supermarket's aisles. See how many meats,
vegetables, fruits, pastas and so forth are stored at room temps. Read
some cruising guides to find out how to keep eggs, fresh veggies and
such. There are even cruising and backpacking cookbooks.

And don't forget that you don't have to cook everything at once. Thus,
that single burner can cook the contents of multiple pots. Don't limit
yourself to meals that are all mashed together.

You will eat as well or poorly as you choose.

--
Jere Lull

How fancy do you want to go? On the high end, there are the "Ship to
Shore" series of cookbooks, which compile recipes from crewed charter
boats who compete to see who can cook the fanciest with the minimal
accommodations available. Nice for a change or special event, or
simply to pamper yourself.

I have found that my collection of backpacking cookbooks have been
equally helpful on boat. Some are quite a bit more advanced than
s'mores (although don't forget sweet snacks), and many of the recipes
require little refrigeration or preparation. In fact, I discovered
that my backpacking cookware (a nesting set of stainless pots) also
worked best for the boat too.

The key thing is to plan your meals in advance. Unlike home, where you
can keep a stocked pantry, I don't have the space for ingredients "just
in case." Planning the meals and then packing just what I need works
the best. I pre-package bulk ingredients when possible, (another
reason to have a foodsaver vacuum). If I carry spares, it is the
freeze dried meals that I would also use for backpacking (they store
really well) or repackaged beans and rice mixes. I also make
accommodations -- on shore, I like coffee; at sea, a strong British
blend of tea is far easier and somehow seems more appropriate. If you
do want to keep "stores" then rice keeps great and you can keep flour,
salt, etc. in hard sealed, vacuum sealed containers.

With all respect to those of different persuasions, do your best to be
imaginative and not create boring meals. I have lived on beans and
rice and been happy (another great staple), but there's much to be said
to making the meal as much a part of the sailing positive memories as
well.

Steve

The classic cookbooks for cruising are Corinne Kanter's The Galley KISS
Cookbook and The Cruising KISS Cookbook. Her philosophy is to use a
limited number of readily available ingredients to create healthy and
easy-to-cook meals. This is her "KISS: Keep It Simple System" of
cooking onboard!

Diana Doyle

Shaun Van Poecke wrote:
Im looking for any and all recipes out there that keep you going! Best of
all are single burner recipes that use ingredients which dont require
refrigeration, have the least amount of preparation required, are fast to
cook and have enough nutritional value to be considered as a daily meal~

ps.com...

Shaun Van Poecke wrote:
Im looking for any and all recipes out there that keep you going! Best
of
all are single burner recipes that use ingredients which dont require
refrigeration, have the least amount of preparation required, are fast to
cook and have enough nutritional value to be considered as a daily meal~

One of my old stand-bys for quick and easy boat food (though I wouldn't want
to eat it every day) is very simple:

Stovetop Tuna & Noodles

For two healthy servings, boil one cup of elbow macaroni til it's almost
done, drain. Add a can of condensed Cream of Mushroom soup and a can of
water (if you're on low water rations, retain the drain water from the
macaroni and use that instead of new). Mix well and bring back to a simmer,
then add in a can of albacore tuna. Season to taste.

Simple and tasty. You can also do lots of variations on this theme by using
different canned meats (turkey, chicken, dried beef, cooked beef or pork)
and different condensed soups. Or you can substitue cooked white rice or
quinoa for the macaroni. Mix and match these simple ingredients and you can
have quite a range of 'three ingredient stovetop meals."

I don't have any neat "boat recipes", but my experience is most things
that are simple to cook at home won't be too bad on the boat. A small
pressure cooker may come in handy - we had a large one that was just
too cumbersome to use on a daily basis, and we recently bought a small
one specifically for the boat. The real issue will be living without
refrigeration, but with a good icebox you can make do.

One "trap" we fell into went we took off for a year was assuming we
would change our habits to suit boat life. Its easy to have special
food for a few days, but on longer trips you'll probably find you want
to eat the same food you eat at home. In other words, if you like
pasta, or rice, or chicken, or beef, those will be the same foods
you'll want on the boat. So while its fine to look for recipes, you
shouldn't forget to figure out how to cook your favorite comfort foods
while onboard.

One more thing - coffee is important to us, and we've found that we
don't have to compromise on that at all. Fortunately, I'm not an
espresso fan, because for regular coffee, a French Press or a simple
pour-over makes as good a brew (if not much better) than any automatic
drip or percolator. The only real issue is a grinder, but there are
some good manual coffee mills, and an electric only uses a fraction of
an amp-hour per use. For the real devotee, you can even roast your
own on a grill (don't do it down below!) using a whirly-pop popcorn
pot. We left for out trip with 25 pounds of unroasted green beans,
and ordered more halfway through.

Very good subject! Food!!

I've been working on bread, but [propane] oven time is much to
wasteful. So, some
alternatives below;

1] Currently, I'm working on Sopapillas [soap-a-pee-ya's]
Kind of a frybread puffed up into a big hollow ball, into which you
pour honey, ummm
2] Also, this is pretty much the recipe for tortilla's also, only just
use a few drops of
frying oil per tortilla [side] in a slightly cooler pan [if inflations
result in a pop, pan is to hot]

There are several other recipes on internet, but this [pasted below] is
closest to
how I've 'perfected' it so far [milk instead of water, butter instead
of shortening when in port, after 'let stand' add "roll to just thicker
than a tortilla", and change 'squares'
to 'triangles', I use a pan of oil 1-1.5 inch deep which must be hotter
- cause it doesn't
take 30 secs]

Also, if you run out of honey, fill a frying pan one inch high with raw
sugar, fairly low
heat. it melts right into syrup,
CAUTION : Hot oil and high seas, don't mix!! Heave to, it's desert
time!

=-==below is stolen from cooks.com=-==
SOPAPILLAS

2 c. flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. shortening
Oil for deep frying

Sift dry ingredients together in bowl. Cut in shortening until crumbly.
Add 1/2 cup warm water gradually, stirring with fork. Dough will be
crumbly. Turn onto lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth. Divide
in half. Let stand for 10 minutes. Cut into 3" squares. Fry, several at
a time, in deep fat at 400 degrees for 30 seconds on each side. Yield:
40 sopapillas.

Shaun Van Poecke wrote:
[...]

"KLC Lewis" wrote in
et:

Stovetop Tuna & Noodles

Thanks! I'll take that one with me in case the gourmet chefs I sail with
pull cooking duty on me again. I'm the dishwasher/galley cleaner on
crew. Two of the guys are trained, gourmet cooks so it's a great trade.
We eat better 200 miles offshore than at a restaurant downtown. Many
times I've been on watch and this plate of amazing
meats/cheeze/breads/etc., appears up the hatch by magic. "Here, Archie
got bored.", the hand will say from under the plate.

Our coffee, too, comes from a French Press. We've a great blue camping
coffee pot, but it's usually filled with some "hot toddy" concoction from
the booze bunker. I've never actually seen coffee made in it....might
spoil the flavor of the toddy.

I'll clean the galley, again, when I come off watch. Just like Julia
Childs, gourmet chefs make an awful mess and dirty everything they can
find!

--
http://www.epic.org/privacy/rfid/verichip.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VeriChip