Default Iridium phones

I purchased one last year for our trip up to Alaska and down to Mexico.
I have never used it, and in hind sight wished I had used that money
to buy a PACTOR III modem for my SSB radio. You can recieve the same
info/emails via the pactor modem that you would with the iridium data
connection.

If your thought is that you would call someone if you got in trouble,
the nearest help to you is going to be contacted by radio no by a phone
call.

On 21 Dec 2006 00:13:34 -0800, "Mark R."
wrote:

If your thought is that you would call someone if you got in trouble,
the nearest help to you is going to be contacted by radio no by a phone
call.

Yes but if you just want to find out how much SeaTow is going to
charge to pull you in from 60 miles out, it might be ideal. :-)

Hi,

I intend to sail from Trinidad and the Panama canal through the
Pacific back to Australia and New Zealand next year, unfortunately
solo.

I am contemplating the purchase of an Iridium phone to receive daily
emails such as buoyweather.

My question is- does anyone know how long the connect time taken
before the actual upload and download of email or data takes place.

I suppose one could call it "handshake time". I presume one has to pay
for this time.

Any experience using Iridium would be much appreciated

Peter Hendra
N.Z. yacht Herodotus
Bob Bob is offline

wrote:

If your thought is that you would call someone if you got in trouble,
the nearest help to you is going to be contacted by radio no by a phone
call.

Yes but if you just want to find out how much SeaTow is going to
charge to pull you in from 60 miles out, it might be ideal. :-)

Good morning,

Alaska and south bound most people give ya tow cause its the right
thing to do.Seems I think the ColRegs say something about that
someplace. Besides the USCG last I heard still give free tows off the
AK WA OR coast. But I think the coasties around here stil have a search
and rescue component to their mission.
But I think that is on theway out too. Has any one looked at their
fleet budget and the type of boats the USCG are building now??? Say
good by to the doubleended 44' lifeboat turned 47" aluminum speed boat
search and rescue mentality. Its now full on 400'+ cutter time.

Wayne.B wrote in
:

Yes but if you just want to find out how much SeaTow is going to
charge to pull you in from 60 miles out, it might be ideal. :-)

What if it's "too much"? Do you just abandon ship?

Larry

i did a one year stint in the new zealand coastguard about 2 years ago and
had mixed feelings about policy.... thankfully most things were still done
on a common sense basis. Im not sure what the status of coastguard bases in
the states is like, but in new zealand, they have some coastguards that are
fully subsidised by the government, and some that the government is only
partially willing to subsidise. In my unit, we were not subsidised at all,
except in cases where police called us directly to act on their behalf. we
acquired funds for running by donations, and partially by renting out one of
our deep sea response vessels to the local port authority as a pilot vessel
and sometime tug. costs per hour are high, at least $60 per hour per vessel
which covers only fuel and maintenance, forget about equipment, training,
upgrades, repairs and the like.

Our charter specifiedsthat we were required to give assistance where we
could to vessels in imminent danger. The application of that is vessels far
from shore that had engine failure or what have you were not strictly
speaking, covered. The theoretical result is that we pick up the people and
leave the vessel behind. In most cases, we gave private vessels free tows
as required, regardless of the cause (for example, even if they were too
stupid to top up their tanks before heading offshore). The cost for us to
do that in fuel is pretty significant. do you really think we should be
required to shell out from our limited funds to cover people who were just
plain selfish? I still cant decide.

In reality, we were quite often required by our board to charge commercial
vessels such as fishing boats for tows at the same rates as a prviate tow
(which is not cheap, at nz$50~nz$100/hr depending on the vessel attending).
there was some pressure to also charge private vessels depending on the
circumstances.

The ultimate reality will depend i guess upon your local situation. In the
case of out particular unit, all the workers were vollunteers, several with
20+ years experience, most were already coxswains. Most of our members had
other skills to bring to the unit, a couple were tug drivers, a couple
qualified divers, one was a boat builder, one was a qualified underwater
diver. Various people amoung us had many years experience more than I did in
specially dealing with certian types of craft. What we received in return
was pretty minimal. Each of us got (to keep if we had more than 2 years in
the service) a wetsuit in 6mm neoprene (NZ is cold, even in summer) and an
inflatable life jacket. the equipment we got to use (but not to keep) was a
waterproof VHS radio, and a signalling light. A small budget was available
for training.

what we gave was a lot more. I turned up 2 days a week for patrol hours on
my circuit, which also doubled as training time if nothing was happening.
depending on the weather (which in NZ is variable, we were close to
antarctica) we might be practicing man overboards, navigation, craft
handling over bars, or handling in rough seas. Part of our patrol area was
a beach, and the seas got to be so big i was scared to go out in them. our
primary response craft for that area was a 6.5 metre jet boat with an
inboard V8, and being out in that thing when the seas were up to 10 feet was
scarey. I know when we replaced that vessel with a purpose built vessel it
cost us around NZ$150,000. Most of that money came from renting out one of
our larger vessels to the port authority.

We all carry a pager. Most of us have agreements with our bosses that when
that pager goes off we have to go, no matter what the time. some of us get
paid for that time by our benevolent employers, some of us dont. We all
risk the same thing when we respond, and the ironic thing is that the first
response vessel will leave with minimum crew. If your'e the one after the
mimimum, you just wasted your time. We all race to get there just the same.

Take the time to find out what the situation is in your area. If its fully
government subsidised, breath easy, lavish words of thanks upon your
rescuers and know that as a taxpayer you're doing the right thing. If the
government has decided that the cost of saving lives in your area is just a
bit more than they're willing to pay, then ask yourself what your boat is
worth. I say boat because life is too hard to put a price on. consider
donating a few dollars to the organisation that rescued you. if in doubt,
find out what the equivalent private sector tow service would have charged
(if they'd been willing to take the risk at all in the weather) and give at
least a part of that. rest assured that the money donated will not go
towards wages, but towards the absolute necessities, like fuel, or engine
maintenance that might save someone elses life.

Alaska and south bound most people give ya tow cause its the right
thing to do.Seems I think the ColRegs say something about that
someplace. Besides the USCG last I heard still give free tows off the
AK WA OR coast. But I think the coasties around here stil have a search
and rescue component to their mission.
But I think that is on theway out too. Has any one looked at their
fleet budget and the type of boats the USCG are building now??? Say
good by to the doubleended 44' lifeboat turned 47" aluminum speed boat
search and rescue mentality. Its now full on 400'+ cutter time.

Default C.A.R.D radar detection

Hi,
Has anyone any knowledge or experience of the C.A.R.D radar detection
system?

I have had a look at the web site but would appreciate any comments or
feedback. It seems as if it may be a way for me to be sensibly be able
to get more than 20 minutes at a time of sleep even though I know it
will not pick up any ships or fishinjg boats not using radar.

Several times at sea I have talked to shipping who could see me
visualy but could not pick me up on radar due to sea clutter
especially when seas were high.

Thanks

Peter Hendra
N.Z. yacht Herodotus

Mine
is currently inactive as the crystals got fried by an overdose of
radiation, or so says the manufacturer.

You're not alone. A couple of friends have the same complaint about the
CARD. One unit was friend when he turned on his own radar.

I have a very old Combi unit (no longer made) which works great. But
AIS is so much better that I rarely turn the Combi on any more.

Jack

Would a car radar detector work?

I probably should know this answer but don't.

Car detector would not give direction or be as waterproof, but maybe
many times cheaper?

wrote:
Mine
is currently inactive as the crystals got fried by an overdose of
radiation, or so says the manufacturer.

You're not alone. A couple of friends have the same complaint about the
CARD. One unit was friend when he turned on his own radar.

I have a very old Combi unit (no longer made) which works great. But
AIS is so much better that I rarely turn the Combi on any more.

Jack

FS: Iridium 9505 in Austria, Tyrol mation Marketplace 0 October 4th 05 02:47 PM
Iridium sat phones Peter Hendra Cruising 2 September 1st 05 12:01 PM
Used Iridium Phones Dick Locke Cruising 0 June 26th 04 05:19 PM
Iridium Ayesha Cruising 4 February 17th 04 10:08 AM
FS: Iridium Satellite Phone in London, UK Stephen Denham Marketplace 0 October 14th 03 06:27 PM