posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Thinning Epoxy

A small amount of acetone will work but it does change the strength and
porosity of the epoxy. A better idea would be to heat the cracks and epoxy
with a hair dryer. That will make the resin a lot less viscous without
effecting the cured properties.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"James" wrote in message
A while back someone mentioned that you could thin epoxy with acetone.
I need to pour some into some cracks.I'm using System 3 epoxy. Thanks,
Jim

"James" wrote in message
A while back someone mentioned that you could thin epoxy with acetone.
I need to pour some into some cracks.I'm using System 3 epoxy. Thanks,
Jim

--

In a word, don't. Get some "Creeping Crack Cure," which is meant for what
you are doing.

http://www.epoxyproducts.com/capt.html

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
A small amount of acetone will work but it does change the strength and
porosity of the epoxy. A better idea would be to heat the cracks and epoxy
with a hair dryer. That will make the resin a lot less viscous without
effecting the cured properties.

Glenn,
Do you have a target completion date on your sailboat?
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 10:26:39 -0500, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

A better idea would be to heat the cracks and epoxy
with a hair dryer. That will make the resin a lot less viscous without
effecting the cured properties.

*less* equals *more* ?

"Glenn Ashmore" writes:

"James" wrote in message
A while back someone mentioned that you could thin epoxy with acetone.
I need to pour some into some cracks.I'm using System 3 epoxy. Thanks,
Jim

I would suggest you try heating the epoxy. Its viscosity
is very temperature dependent. Be careful not to overheat
the epoxy, no smoke! :-)

Use a heat gun and heat up the area you are treating. Air
in the cracks will expand and bubble up through the epoxy
and the when things cool the epoxy will be sucked into
the cracks.

--
Martin Schöön "Problems worthy of attack
show their worth by hitting back."
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

I used to work in a paint locker for the coast guard I remember we used
to use a MOPOXY thinner for the 2 part mare island paints, Amron PSX
paints had their own thinners, The 235 series had the T-10 thinners.
There was pretty much a thinner assigned to each paint series there
should be one designated for the paint system that you are using.

Marty

www.knotstuff.com

Thinning Epoxy Glenn Ashmore General 6 December 23rd 06 11:41 PM
Thinning Epoxy James Boat Building 3 December 23rd 06 07:03 PM
Thinning Epoxy Meindert Sprang General 0 December 15th 06 04:39 PM
Thinning Epoxy Ron Magen General 0 December 15th 06 04:38 PM
The Epoxy Test Results Mic Cruising 1 July 6th 05 10:38 PM