Steve

Default WaterMaker, at-the-dock??

I realize, under normal harbor conditions, it is not recommended to run your
watermaker inport. Due, I assume, to the probability of contaminated sea
(harbor) water..

However, I have been planning on living aboard my boat at a marina dock over
this winter.. I just realized that they turn off the fresh water to the dock
and all outside faucets in mid Oct/early Nov. until about May. I hate to
consider filling water cans in the head and hauling water all winter..

Yet, I have abundant shore power (pay a flat rate) and a 8 gph watermaker
that needs to be operated periodically. I may be upgrading to 24 gph. Also,
I have a UV sterilizer in the product water line, FWIW.

I'm not a squimish guy and have confidence that there aren't any other boats
dumping sewage at the marina (I will be the only liveaboard). All the other
boats have potta potties.

The marina is located in the pristine waters of Hood Canal, where there are
extreme tidal flows daily. Only during the spring floods of the Skokomish
river, is the water ever cloudy to the point I can't see my prop.

From my cruising of the Puget Sound, this summer, I find I average about 2
gal of water per day. That includes several (boat) showers a week, onboard.
Laundry was done onshore. The marina has no showers and no hot water in the
shore heads.

Thoughts, comments, experiences??

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Glenn Ashmore

Steve wrote:
[...]

From my cruising of the Puget Sound, this summer, I find I average about 2
gal of water per day. That includes several (boat) showers a week, onboard.
Laundry was done onshore. The marina has no showers and no hot water in the
shore heads.

Thoughts, comments, experiences??

Move South! :-)

Seriously, the problem is not the quality of the product water but the
possibility of sucking oil and other contaminants into the membranes and
damaging them. If your intake is deep in the hull and the marina has
good circulation you may get away with minimum damage but it is not
going to do them any good. YOu might want to add an oil separator
upstream of the prefilters and be sure to check the prefilters regularly.

Also I think you will find live aboard water consumption considerably
higher than cruising consumption. I sure hope you have some shore side
friends who will let you use their shower or you are going to be really
ripe come March at 2 gal/day. :-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Steve

Thanks for the 'heads-up' on the potential damage from oil..

The marina has only about 20 boats during the winter and they are, for the
most part, outboard run-abouts. Not much likelyhood of an errant bilge pump
dumping oily water overboard..

The Hood Canal is non commercial with no waterside or upland industries. Not
even a gas station or gas dock withing 30 miles. The water is tested and
blessed on a weekly basis because of the shell fish beds/industry. Right
now, they have shut down all but salmon and crab fishing because of low
oxygen content.. I see the marine biologists going out every day to monitor
the water quality..

Regarding the 'frequent' showers comment. My house is only 2 mile away and I
go there frequently for laundry and freezer access and to use my shop.. Main
reason I'm living onboard is to get more work done and to save the cost of
heating my 'barn-of-a-house' all winter..

Most of all, I love living on the boat, even when there is ice on the deck
and snow in the Olympic Mountains, within easy view. God Bless that
Dickinson galley stove..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

LaBomba182

Subject: WaterMaker, at-the-dock??
From: "Steve"

Thanks for the 'heads-up' on the potential damage from oil..

They make prefilters for that.

Capt. Bill

MIDEMETZ

Find a way to blow the water out of the hose after you fill your tanks. Any
way never let the water stop moving in the hose.

Mike
*******************

run a hose when you need to and fill your tanks - life will be easier
and cheaper

Steve

Nah! The whole water system at the marina is turned off and drained for the
winter to prevent freezing the pipes.

The only water is in the head on shore. Way to far to run a hose.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Lew Hodgett

"Steve" writes:

Nah! The whole water system at the marina is turned off and drained for

the
winter to prevent freezing the pipes.

Time to head south.

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Steven Shelikoff

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 12:48:38 -0700, "Steve" wrote:

Thanks for the 'heads-up' on the potential damage from oil..

The marina has only about 20 boats during the winter and they are, for the
most part, outboard run-abouts. Not much likelyhood of an errant bilge pump
dumping oily water overboard..

Outboard runabouts are always dumping oily water overboard if they are
classic 2 stroke engines.

Steve
Glenn Ashmore

Steven Shelikoff wrote:
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 12:48:38 -0700, "Steve" wrote:

Thanks for the 'heads-up' on the potential damage from oil..

The marina has only about 20 boats during the winter and they are, for the
most part, outboard run-abouts. Not much likelyhood of an errant bilge pump
dumping oily water overboard..

Outboard runabouts are always dumping oily water overboard if they are
classic 2 stroke engines.

That's why I said that the intake should be as deep as possible so the
surface scum can't get to it.