Jim Woodward

Default WaterMaker, at-the-dock??

Too bad you're the only live aboard.... At Petrinis in Annapolis, the
winter of 1995-6, we had a watering party every other Saturday. We
all (four boats) got out our hoses, connected them together to the
hose bib at the head, and filled up one at a time. When done, the
hoses got hoisted on halyards from their middles to drain -- much
better than trying to blow them out. Hose is cheap at Home Despot.

To answer your original question, I would have no hesitation running
the watermaker under the circumstances you describe. It likes being
run and the risks are low. We used ours pretty much everywhere
without any trouble. Water intake about five feet down, not on the
same side of the keel as the discharge from the Lectra-San. UV
sterilizer. Unit was a Sea Recovery 25GPH, 1995 model. Put 800 hours
on it in three years. RTFM carefully, as I remember that low
temperature requires special settings.

Oil is a theoretical risk, but the local Sea Recovery dealer (Ocean
Options) refused to sell me an oil prefilter on the grounds that oil
floats and wouldn't make it down to the input. For health issues you
have the UV.

Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

"Steve" wrote in message ...
Nah! The whole water system at the marina is turned off and drained for the
winter to prevent freezing the pipes.

The only water is in the head on shore. Way to far to run a hose.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions