BoatBanter.com

-   -   Boat Show Shoes? (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/7653-boat-show-shoes.html)

LaBomba182 September 16th 03 11:47 PM

Boat Show Shoes?

Subject: Boat Show Shoes?
From: Peggie Hall

It suddenly occured to me that the simplest solution MIGHT just be a
huge pair of socks or a pair of tyvek booties that can be slipped on
over your shoes easily.

Just a thought...

We could sell them just outside the gate. Or better yet, just inside with the
show logo on them. :-)
What do you think Peggie?

Capt. Bill

Larry W4CSC September 17th 03 02:06 AM

Boat Show Shoes?

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 20:12:46 GMT, Peggie Hall
wrote:

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
The first couple of years I went in bluejeans and
teeshirts and nobody but Peggie and Peter Kennedy would give me the time
of day.

I treat everyone the same way, 'cuz you never know who's "somebody" and
who isn't unless they're a celebrity. One year at the Annapolis show, I
spent about 45 minutes going over the relative merits of various toilets
with someone who was just a nice man in slacks, tee shirt and pair of
WELL worn topsiders. If he hadn't given me his card to send him
literature, I'd have had to have memorized the entire "who's who" of
whole Fortune 500 to know I'd just spent 45 minutes with the COB of a
major airline.

Peggie

This is true. My friend Dan and I went to the little Charleston Boat
Show at the North Charleston Coliseum a couple of years back. Dan had
sold his Hatteras 56 and wanted a "small boat" with outboard to cruise
around the harbor in.

I warned him not to dress in his MUSC Doctor's Suit so we could poke
around in the boats and be ignored by the hawks. The lawn boy
uniforms worked great. We finally narrowed it down to a couple and
were poking around in a Grady White 20' runabout with a walk-through
windshield and nice bow seats with Yam 150 EFI engine on a nice
aluminum trailer. I was poking around in a cabinet when this nice
young man came over to see if he could help us.

Dan says to me in the cabinet, "What do you think?" To which I
snapped my fingers and said, from still inside the cabinet,
"Checkbook!" They had a nice discount on it for the show as most
Grady-White buyers want a CC for fishing Dan could care less about.
He turns to the astonished kid and says, "Can we pay for it now and
pick it up Monday from your store on Savannah Highway?" By that time
the "important suits" had taken more of a passing interest, about the
time Dan and the kid were sashaying over to the card table to complete
the contract. The looks on their faces having just lost a $35,000
sale on a hard-to-move boat was.....well.....Priceless...(c;

Myself, I thought the grass stained sneakers he was wearing at the
contract table went well with the green card table and foldin'
chairs....The kid seemed to like them, too!....(c;

Larry W4CSC

3600 planes with transponders are burning 8-10 million
gallons of kerosene per hour over the USA. R-12 car air
conditioners are responsible for the ozone hole, right?

Larry W4CSC September 17th 03 02:12 AM

Boat Show Shoes?

From: Peggie Hall

It suddenly occured to me that the simplest solution MIGHT just be a
huge pair of socks or a pair of tyvek booties that can be slipped on
over your shoes easily.

Just a thought...

We could sell them just outside the gate. Or better yet, just inside with the
show logo on them. :-)
What do you think Peggie?

Capt. Bill

God, they'd have a kanipshion fit if you SOLD something outside the
gate at any boat show around here......probably sic the cops on you!

We stopped at the IN-the-water boatshow for a beer with Mr Cannon of
Halsey-Cannon Boatyard about his pristinely restored "Boatyard Blue"
his yard bought for almost nothing from an insurance company after it
bashed up against a bridge for a whole hurricane. It's a nice sport
fisher yacht, now, and he uses it to sell his yard's capabilities.
The before pictures are awful.

The boat show crowd didn't seem to like the "good ol' boy" attitude
out there on the docks where the Hackercrafts and Azimuts were rocking
in the current....(c;

Halsey-Cannon Boatyard, Cainhoy, SC, up the Wando River if you're in
Charleston and your boat's broke. It's where Lionheart went the day
after it got here......

Peggie Hall September 17th 03 02:58 AM

Boat Show Shoes?

It suddenly occured to me that the simplest solution MIGHT just be a
huge pair of socks or a pair of tyvek booties that can be slipped on
over your shoes easily.

Just a thought...

We could sell them just outside the gate. Or better yet, just inside with the
show logo on them. :-)
What do you think Peggie?

Forget the show logo...the show won't pay us squat to put their name on
'em. Let's make some money doing the same thing pro tennis players,
skiers, and race cars do--get every mfr we can find room for to pay big
bucks to put their logos on 'em!

You put up the money for the booties, I'll find the sponsors. :)

--
Peggie
----------

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Gerald Simons September 17th 03 03:16 AM

Boat Show Shoes?

My son says New Balance are about the only brand he can find to fit his wide feet.

(Jim Woodward) wrote in message . com...
First, bring your own brief case, so you don't balance literature. I
have a nylon one that weighs next to nothing and will hold hat,
shades, sunscreen, little tape measure, digital camera, etc. as well
as tear sheets and catalogs. Warm shirt, too, if the weather is iffy.

As for shoes, I favor comfort over convenience and wear the same five
eyelet, Vibram sole Timberlands that I race in -- Newport and
Annapolis are better than Miami and New Orleans in that there's less
concrete underfoot (Ft. Lauderdale is in between), but I'm always sore
at the end of the day, and the short boots help a lot. Sure, I have to
take them off when I go on a boat (sometimes I just leave them off and
go barefoot on the floats), but it beats being lame by 1600.

Jim Woodward
www.mvfintry.com

Glenn Ashmore wrote in message ...
I need suggestions for the best boat show shoes. Regular deck shoes
look nautical and you can keep them on while inspecting many boats but
they leave a lot to be desired when you have to walk around in them for
10 or 12 hours. Loafers are not much better and you have to take them
off every time you board. Tennis shoes have to be unlaced every time
you board a boat that allows no shoes.

I am looking for a pair of white rubber soled shoes that have good
support and can still be slipped on and off without having to tie and
untie them while balancing half a ton of sales literature.

Glenn Ashmore September 17th 03 03:24 AM

Boat Show Shoes?

Peggie Hall wrote:
It suddenly occured to me that the simplest solution MIGHT just
be a huge pair of socks or a pair of tyvek booties that can be
slipped on over your shoes easily.

We could sell them just outside the gate. Or better yet, just
inside with the show logo on them. :-) What do you think Peggie?

Forget the show logo...the show won't pay us squat to put their name
on 'em. Let's make some money doing the same thing pro tennis
players, skiers, and race cars do--get every mfr we can find room for
to pay big bucks to put their logos on 'em!

You put up the money for the booties, I'll find the sponsors. :)

You know, that's not a bad idea! The Official r.b.c. boat bootie!

A slip on Tyvek bootie with an elastic ankle band and lots of logos. A
box of 200 Tyvek shoe covers with nonslip soles cost $100.00 at
Grainger. Polypropylene is $40. For a few thousand pair direct from
the manufacturer we are probably talking under a quarter a pair. Two
bucks a pair to cover the production, sellers pay and expenses and all
the logo fees are profit.

To late for this year but we need to remember that for next year's show
season. :-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Rosalie B. September 17th 03 03:34 AM

Boat Show Shoes?

x-no-archive:yes Peggie Hall wrote:

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
The first couple of years I went in bluejeans and
teeshirts and nobody but Peggie and Peter Kennedy would give me the time
of day.

I treat everyone the same way, 'cuz you never know who's "somebody" and
who isn't unless they're a celebrity. One year at the Annapolis show, I

It's polite to treat everyone with respect. The fact that you do
shows that you are a class act. (which we all know of course). The
fact that so few people know that being polite and helpful to everyone
regardless of their appearance or station in life is a sad commentary
on the upbringing and manners and maybe even the ethics of the
majority.

spent about 45 minutes going over the relative merits of various toilets
with someone who was just a nice man in slacks, tee shirt and pair of
WELL worn topsiders. If he hadn't given me his card to send him
literature, I'd have had to have memorized the entire "who's who" of
whole Fortune 500 to know I'd just spent 45 minutes with the COB of a
major airline.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

grandma Rosalie
http://www12.virtualtourist.com/m/4a9c6/

Rosalie B. September 17th 03 03:40 AM

Boat Show Shoes?

x-no-archive:yes
Glenn Ashmore wrote:

Peggie Hall wrote:
[...]

Having used Tyvek booties, I would be concerned that they would be
slippery which wouldn't be good on a boat. My husband slipped on some
aluminum dust that was on his shoes (due to putting in mast steps) and
fell down the companionway into the main saloon dislocating his
shoulder. Plus were you thinking that people would wear them from
boat to boat? They'd get just as dirty as shoes.

Even socks are slippery unless you put non-skid on them, which would
rachet the cost up.

To late for this year but we need to remember that for next year's show
season. :-)

Not that I want to throw cold water on the project - just a thought.

grandma Rosalie

Peggie Hall September 17th 03 04:14 AM

Boat Show Shoes?

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
To late for this year but we need to remember that for next year's show
season. :-)

Annapolis isn't the only boat show...there are a whole BUNCH starting
after the first of the year. There is time to at least test market the
idea at one or more of 'em...and Annapolis would be a good place to find
out whether Rosie's concerns are a deal breaker.

So...where in Annapolis shall we hold the first board meeting? :)

Peggie

Larry W4CSC September 17th 03 04:23 AM

Boat Show Shoes?

Tyvek won't breathe and will make your feet sweat something
awful.......

How about that nice soft material with the plastic soles Cathay
Pacific gives out for "cabin booties" on their most wonderful flights
from Gatwick to the Middle East and Asia? There's something soft in
the soles on the inside which make your feet feel wanted, not all
sweaty!