BoatBanter.com

-   -   Boat Show Shoes? (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/7653-boat-show-shoes.html)

Rosalie B. September 16th 03 07:25 PM

Boat Show Shoes?

x-no-archive:yes "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

"Glenn Ashmore" writes:

I need suggestions for the best boat show shoes. snip

Got a Payless in your area?

I buy low cut white tennis shoes with Velcro straps to use a "resin" shoes
when I'm laying glass.

$12-$15/pair.

Will provide adequate support for a couple of days at a show.

That's what I'd suggest - I've got white tennis type (I don't think
they are really for tennis) velcro closure sneakers from Blair (men's
shoes) that I've worn almost to shreds. (Since I don't shop anymore
except by mail.) My husband goes to Payless and sometimes finds the
women's shoes are cheaper but work perfectly OK if you don't mind the
little aqua logo on them.

Actually for the boat I wear L.L. Bean boat shoes. For walking I wear
my sneakers.

"show duty". Been there, done that, never want to do it again.

HTH

grandma Rosalie

Larry W4CSC September 16th 03 07:28 PM

Boat Show Shoes?

Oh, I forgot......I met someone who always goes to boat shows in
street shoes wearing socks with holes in them. He agrees with me that
you should always look at boats wearing the same clothes you mow the
lawn in so they stop hovering around you like a pack of wolves around
a lamb.

Many ask him to put his shoes back ON before going aboard!....(c;

The funny part is there isn't a boat in the show he couldn't simply
write a personal check for in the full amount and it wouldn't bounce
Monday morning.....

Larry W4CSC

3600 planes with transponders are burning 8-10 million
gallons of kerosene per hour over the USA. R-12 car air
conditioners are responsible for the ozone hole, right?

Peggie Hall September 16th 03 07:51 PM

Boat Show Shoes?

It suddenly occured to me that the simplest solution MIGHT just be a
huge pair of socks or a pair of tyvek booties that can be slipped on
over your shoes easily.

Just a thought...

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Jim Woodward September 16th 03 08:01 PM

Boat Show Shoes?

First, bring your own brief case, so you don't balance literature. I
have a nylon one that weighs next to nothing and will hold hat,
shades, sunscreen, little tape measure, digital camera, etc. as well
as tear sheets and catalogs. Warm shirt, too, if the weather is iffy.

As for shoes, I favor comfort over convenience and wear the same five
eyelet, Vibram sole Timberlands that I race in -- Newport and
Annapolis are better than Miami and New Orleans in that there's less
concrete underfoot (Ft. Lauderdale is in between), but I'm always sore
at the end of the day, and the short boots help a lot. Sure, I have to
take them off when I go on a boat (sometimes I just leave them off and
go barefoot on the floats), but it beats being lame by 1600.

Jim Woodward
www.mvfintry.com

Glenn Ashmore wrote in message ...
I need suggestions for the best boat show shoes. Regular deck shoes
look nautical and you can keep them on while inspecting many boats but
they leave a lot to be desired when you have to walk around in them for
10 or 12 hours. Loafers are not much better and you have to take them
off every time you board. Tennis shoes have to be unlaced every time
you board a boat that allows no shoes.

I am looking for a pair of white rubber soled shoes that have good
support and can still be slipped on and off without having to tie and
untie them while balancing half a ton of sales literature.

Glenn Ashmore September 16th 03 08:09 PM

Boat Show Shoes?

Larry W4CSC wrote:
Oh, I forgot......I met someone who always goes to boat shows in
street shoes wearing socks with holes in them. He agrees with me that
you should always look at boats wearing the same clothes you mow the
lawn in so they stop hovering around you like a pack of wolves around
a lamb.

So very true. The first couple of years I went in bluejeans and
teeshirts and nobody but Peggie and Peter Kennedy would give me the time
of day. Then I changed to Duckheads and a Ceasar's Palace golf shirt
and the Hunter people almost kidnapped me. The Hunter salesman cornered
me in the head and wouldn't let me out until he got my address and phone
number. Still didn't get much help at the Harken booth. I think they
have to have seen your picture in a sailing mag before they will talk to
you.

I hope this year will be different. I have $30K to order hardware,
rigging and spars between now and the first of the year and a bunch of
questions. I wonder if it is possible to call in advance and arrange an
appointment?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Skip Gundlach September 16th 03 08:52 PM

Boat Show Shoes?

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
I hope this year will be different. I have $30K to order hardware,
rigging and spars between now and the first of the year and a bunch of
questions. I wonder if it is possible to call in advance and arrange an
appointment?

absolutely. They'd much prefer that, usually before or after the show
hours, unless it's absolutely dead. A list of what you're shopping for will
get them both salivating and sharpening their pencils if you let them know
who *else* you'll be seeing.

Been there, done that...

L8R

Skip

Peggie Hall September 16th 03 09:12 PM

Boat Show Shoes?

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
The first couple of years I went in bluejeans and
teeshirts and nobody but Peggie and Peter Kennedy would give me the time
of day.

I treat everyone the same way, 'cuz you never know who's "somebody" and
who isn't unless they're a celebrity. One year at the Annapolis show, I
spent about 45 minutes going over the relative merits of various toilets
with someone who was just a nice man in slacks, tee shirt and pair of
WELL worn topsiders. If he hadn't given me his card to send him
literature, I'd have had to have memorized the entire "who's who" of
whole Fortune 500 to know I'd just spent 45 minutes with the COB of a
major airline.

Peggie
----------

Jack Rye September 16th 03 11:20 PM

Boat Show Shoes?

I have found that K-Swiss Verstad Slip-on Casual Shoes with Dr. Scholl's
Massaging Gel Insoles. Are about the best combination of quick on and off
while leaving your feet comfortable and supported. even after walking all
day on concrete.

Jack

LaBomba182 September 16th 03 11:40 PM

Boat Show Shoes?

Subject: Boat Show Shoes?
From: Glenn Ashmore

I am looking for a pair of white rubber soled shoes that have good
support and can still be slipped on and off without having to tie and
untie them while balancing half a ton of sales literature.

Slip on canvas boat shoes?

Capt. Bill

LaBomba182 September 16th 03 11:44 PM

Boat Show Shoes?

From: Glenn Ashmore

I hope this year will be different. I have $30K to order hardware,
rigging and spars between now and the first of the year and a bunch of
questions. I wonder if it is possible to call in advance and arrange an
appointment?

Just tow the cash behind you in a glass safe with a little red wagon. That
should get their attention. :-)

Capt. Bill