Default Slip fees

We have a great deal on the current slip for our 26' sailboat
($5.25/ft/month with power and water). Our future "home port" would
also be in that general price range (+/-).

But as we look around for a liveaboard / cruising boat, we're curious
about slip and mooring fees along the East Coast, Gulf of Mexico and
some destinations in the Carribbean.

It seems pretty obvious that it isn't going to be $5.25/ft/month. ;-)

TIA for any info.

On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 10:02:08 -0600, Cal Vanize
wrote:

But as we look around for a liveaboard / cruising boat, we're curious
about slip and mooring fees along the East Coast, Gulf of Mexico and
some destinations in the Carribbean.

It seems pretty obvious that it isn't going to be $5.25/ft/month. ;-)

Closer to $10 or $12 here in SWFL.

krj krj is offline

wrote:

But as we look around for a liveaboard / cruising boat, we're curious
about slip and mooring fees along the East Coast, Gulf of Mexico and
some destinations in the Carribbean.

It seems pretty obvious that it isn't going to be $5.25/ft/month. ;-)

Closer to $10 or $12 here in SWFL.

Stuart Fl. is $20/ft/mo

Most of the Caribbean seems to be in the $12 to $17 range for monthly
rentals. Slightly less for the season.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

wrote:

But as we look around for a liveaboard / cruising boat, we're curious
about slip and mooring fees along the East Coast, Gulf of Mexico and
some destinations in the Carribbean.

It seems pretty obvious that it isn't going to be $5.25/ft/month. ;-)

Closer to $10 or $12 here in SWFL.

It's all over the map in the SF bayarea... I'm paying about $7.5/foot, but
it can be $3-4 less in some less desireable places or double (or more) in
others.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Wayne.B wrote in
:

Closer to $10 or $12 here in SWFL.

http://www.charlestoncitymarina.com/rates.cfm
Set your coffee down before clicking. Be seated.
Noone on heart medicine, weak hearts, shortness of breath please.

The city's bureaucrats thinks this is Monaco or the South of France or
Honolulu. Mayor Riley (longest running mayor in history) does, too!

Florida is CHEAP! But, again, Florida has A-Ocean or B-DITCH slowly
filling in with sand. Why would anyone go to Florida in a BOAT??

Take heart, dear ones, though. The housing market is COLLAPSING under its
own load and I think this house of cards will, too, as the moneyed rich
dump 'em. It costs $5-10M to live on desirable waterfront here, now. Only
the drug kingpins can afford it. The real estate industry has already
ruined Charleston....Damned Carpetbaggers!

Everyone gets rich buying and selling houses, right??

Wayne.B wrote:

Closer to $10 or $12 here in SWFL.

I am in Clearwater, Fl and pay $4.81 a ft. with water and electric.

Sam

Looks rather cheap by Boston standards. No one goes by monthly rates
here; its always quoted by the season. Rates for the 6 month summer
season is well over $100 per foot for all of the marinas close to the
city - $140 in several, $180 in the fancy one downtown. Even the
"less desirable" marinas have crept up in price as they got filled and
are now over a hundred. Plus most carefully measure and charge for
the bow roller or davit, or charge for what the slip is "rated for."
Electricity is metered, live aboards get extra fees, etc.

We left the first marina we were in when the best parking they could
offer was a discount in a lot a half mile away. The second had no
slips that could handle a cat, the third was industrial and cheaper
but we had to move when they started dredging. Now we're a ways out
of the city, but closer to the water we like, the rates are a tad
cheaper and its a friendly crowd so we're happy.

We liked the Charleston City Marina and stayed there about 3 weeks.
They have and easy bus stop that gets you downtown in a few minutes;
we got shuttle rides to the market. The only thing I didn't like was
that the transient docks were a long hike from shore - when the
welcoming dock hand showed up on a bicycle, we knew we were in the
boonies. Charleston was one of our favorite cites in the south, my
wife still wants to move there. (My preference is Key West.)

Did they ever deal with the shoaling issue, or are they going to sell
the first few rows of slips as new waterfront land?

Larry wrote:
Wayne.B wrote in
:

Closer to $10 or $12 here in SWFL.

http://www.charlestoncitymarina.com/rates.cfm
Set your coffee down before clicking. Be seated.
Noone on heart medicine, weak hearts, shortness of breath please.

The city's bureaucrats thinks this is Monaco or the South of France or
Honolulu. Mayor Riley (longest running mayor in history) does, too!

Florida is CHEAP! But, again, Florida has A-Ocean or B-DITCH slowly
filling in with sand. Why would anyone go to Florida in a BOAT??

Take heart, dear ones, though. The housing market is COLLAPSING under its
own load and I think this house of cards will, too, as the moneyed rich
dump 'em. It costs $5-10M to live on desirable waterfront here, now. Only
the drug kingpins can afford it. The real estate industry has already
ruined Charleston....Damned Carpetbaggers!

Everyone gets rich buying and selling houses, right??

Jeff wrote in
:

Plus most carefully measure and charge for
the bow roller or davit, or charge for what the slip is "rated for."

Wouldn't it be fun to show up with an old sailboat chopped off on both ends
just above the water line....just to see their faces?...(c;

Jeff wrote in
:

The only thing I didn't like was
that the transient docks were a long hike from shore - when the
welcoming dock hand showed up on a bicycle, we knew we were in the
boonies. Charleston was one of our favorite cites in the south, my
wife still wants to move there. (My preference is Key West.)

Thank you. The wife has excellent taste. It's still a beautiful, old
city, though our developers are trying hard to destroy it for short-term
profit, very stupidly.

I love Key West....not as much as I used to in 1967 when USS Everglades
(AD-24) was there, but it's still fine. They're much smarter in Key
West.

Lionheart is the Amel on J-dock. If you walk any further from the
parking lot, you'll be in the drink. K-dock is the worst, not the
transient dock. Someone swimming from J to K beats someone riding on an
electric scooter the long way around by 6 minutes! Parking a 6' draft
inside the seawall, closer to the Charleston YC is suicide. A hundred
slips are now only underwater at high tide. Walking from the parking
lot, notice the two most beautiful Hinckley jet diesel boats on the
planet....sitting in the MUD below half tide. I don't care how rich
their owners are, they should walk the plank for treating them like
that...just so they don't have to walk to deep water further out.

Just because they have money, doesn't mean they're not STUPID!

Let me know when you return. Many transients from Europe to Hawaii have
enjoyed my taxi service and tour experience. Always glad to meet new
people.

I took some Quebec and French yachties to a little redneck barbecue place
in a small town out of Charleston. I'm not sure if they liked it,
though, they only had 3 plates, each. I do know it was the first time
French had been spoken in Ridgeville, SC! French brought the place to a
standstill!...just to listen...(c;

Larry
--
Why is it, in any city, all traffic lights act as if they have rotary
timers in them, like they did in 1955, and are all set to create