Default Westsail 32 - opinions

The Westsail 32 is a direct descendant of John Hanna's Tahiti ketch, which
was, in turn, derived from a North Sea pilot boat. Pilot boats were evolved
to be good at staying in one place, regardless of the weather. Westsail
32's were good at that. The ability to get somewhere is another question.
DSK's comment re the succession of builders and their QA issues is spot-on,
so a thorough survey is a very good idea.

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
I'm interested in opinions on Westsail 32's in general. The one I'm

considering
is factory finished with the dinette layout. It has been constantly

maintained
and upgraded since new, so condition is not a big worry. This is not a

bargin
priced derelict. Of course I'll have a survey done if things progress that

far.

This one was made without teak decks, which to me, is a major plus. Low

hours on
the Yanmar. I'm more interested in hearing about how the boat sails and

what it
is like to spend long periods aboard. I already like the looks and the

size,
although I've also considered some larger boats. The boat would be used
initially for frequent daysails (often single handed) long weekends, and

cruises
of a week or two at most. In a few years, we'd be on the boat for six or

more
months at a time. Once we transition to the longer term situation, we

might even
consider leaving it somewhere nice like the Med, and flying to the boat.

I've
long admired these boats, but I've never spent more than an afternoon on

one.

CWM

"Jim Conlin" wrote in message
news
The Westsail 32 is a direct descendant of John Hanna's Tahiti ketch, which
was, in turn, derived from a North Sea pilot boat. Pilot boats were
evolved
to be good at staying in one place, regardless of the weather. Westsail
32's were good at that. The ability to get somewhere is another question.
DSK's comment re the succession of builders and their QA issues is
spot-on,
so a thorough survey is a very good idea.

One of the most serviceable and seakindly cruising boats ever made, imo, is
the Tahiti Ketch built with an "open" accomodation plan. No bulkheads at all
from stem to stern, everything accessible, capable of sleeping 20 if they're
all very friendly. But the only one I ever saw built that way was a woodie,
which *must* be lived aboard and cruised in order to keep up with the
maintanance.

Jim Conlin wrote:

The Westsail 32 is a direct descendant of John Hanna's Tahiti ketch,

But he's simply wrong.

The Westsail 32 lines are a slight modification of this boat:

http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/Eric.html

which itself was based on lines scaled down from the original Colin Archer
pilot boat. I help but think that Akin's "borrowing" of the lines from
someone else was a factor in Westsail feeling free to "borrow" them from
Atkin. I doubt that they would have done it with a design that Atkin drew
from scratch. For that matter, if they went back to the same book Atkin
did, they could have produced the identical boat.

The Tahiti ketch is a similar type but quite different proportions. I think
the Atkin/Colin Archer boat is the better one, myself.

--
Roger Long

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message ...
On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 15:30:09 -0500, "Jim Conlin" wrote:
Thanks, Jim. I've sailed on a few Westsails, and I am well aware that they trade
off some speed for comfort. That's not a problem. In this age of racer/cruisers,
it seems that any boat that does not have the "racer" part is considered by many
to be worthless. This is odd, because no one complains about boats that are
built solely to race having no comfort, or being prone to being thrown about in
harsh conditions. This boat is a Cruiser. I have no illusions anbout it being a
speed demon. I think, however, that it sails much better than many detractors
claim. Hyperbole. Built for comfort not speed, as they say. That's okay with me.
If I decide I need to go faster, I can always buy something faster, eh?

The condition of this particular example is one of the main reasons I'm
interested. I wouldn't buy any boat without a professional survey by a surveyor
I know, and my own careful inspection.

Well, get on with it then. As of yesterday, you have about worn out your welcome
with all your vacillation. Either get the damned thing or not. But stop trying to
justify your possible purchase. You are already beginning to sound like JimC and
his mistaken Mac26 purchase and that's simply unacceptable considering you don't
have anything to justify yet.

Paladin,
(Have gun - will travel)

DSK DSK is offline

Roger Long wrote:
Jim Conlin wrote:

The Westsail 32 is a direct descendant of John Hanna's Tahiti ketch,

But he's simply wrong.

The Westsail 32 lines are a slight modification of this boat:

http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/Eric.html

Well, we could quibble over "slight modification." Why do we
always end up in these little discussions, Roger?

The Westsail, from what I've seen of their plans & the boats
themselves, have lower & softer bilges, less flare, and less
keel salient. Since those were among the defining
characteristics of shape that gave the Colin Archer
redningskoite their sea-keeping and sailing characteristics,
I feel justified in saying it's not really a Colin Archer.

The Tahiti ketch is a similar type but quite different proportions. I
think the Atkin/Colin Archer boat is the better one, myself.

I have sailed a Gilmer version of the Colin Archers, wherein
he keeps & perhaps even exaggerates. *Markedly* different
boat than the Westsail.

Another thing to bear in mind about the Colin Archers is
that they were innovative in design and construction, and
were considered light displacement for their day. His
expertise in building extremely strong double planked hulls
led to their success as much as anything else. If he were
building boats to day, I have little doubt he'd use some
very strong advanced construction and a higher ballast/disp
ratio.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

DSK wrote:

Well, we could quibble over "slight modification." Why do we
always end up in these little discussions, Roger?

My memory of early publicity and magazine articles at the time of the
Westsail's introduction (something you may be too young to remember) stated
that the lines were modified by Crealock just enough to accommodate
fiberglass construction. I looked one over out of the water just last
spring and was struck by how clean the flow lines look since the eye sees
the diagonals in 3D instead of the buttock lines that don't really follow
the water flow. It looked pretty much like the Eric lines to my somewhat
experienced eyes but I would love to see an actual lines plan of the
Westsail for comparison. Flare and keel shape could vary a lot without
effecting the basic characteristics of the hull.

--
Roger Long

DSK DSK is offline

Roger Long wrote:
My memory of early publicity and magazine articles at the time of the
Westsail's introduction (something you may be too young to remember)
stated that the lines were modified by Crealock just enough to
accommodate fiberglass construction.

I remember when they came out, don't remember any specific
published info from back then. There is a set of lines in
Ferenc Mate's book on the boat.

.... I looked one over out of the water
just last spring and was struck by how clean the flow lines look since
the eye sees the diagonals in 3D instead of the buttock lines that don't
really follow the water flow. It looked pretty much like the Eric lines
to my somewhat experienced eyes but I would love to see an actual lines
plan of the Westsail for comparison. Flare and keel shape could vary a
lot without effecting the basic characteristics of the hull.

Hmmm... flare is a basic characteristic, it is a major
component of the boat's reserve bouyancy and will affect how
it responds to waves. I have read that the keel shape of the
redningskoite included a lot of salient or flat/near-flat to
improve windward ability... it seems consistent with the
Westsails reputation of not making good speed to windward,
versus the redningskoite's rep for all-around handiness.

DSK

Your're right about the flare but, not within the limits of what would
produce two fairly similar looking boats.

Has anyone out there got a copy of the Ferenc Mate book? I'd love to see
the lines. If someone will email me a copy, I'll process the two so they
can be directly compared and post the result on my web site. It's something
I've always been curious about. Maybe we'll find out how good my "eye" is.
The Westsail 32 I saw looked a lot like and Eric.

--
Roger Long

DSK DSK is offline

Roger Long wrote:

Your're right about the flare but, not within the limits of what would
produce two fairly similar looking boats.

Has anyone out there got a copy of the Ferenc Mate book? I'd love to
see the lines. If someone will email me a copy, I'll process the two so
they can be directly compared and post the result on my web site. It's
something I've always been curious about. Maybe we'll find out how good
my "eye" is. The Westsail 32 I saw looked a lot like and Eric.

I'd be interested too.

I'm also curious if the PHRF rating of 228 is based on long
off-wind racing, such as the trans-pac. I'd be really
surprised if any Westsail 32, no matter how well tuned,
could sail to this rating on a W/L or triangle course.

Let it be noted that I have been surprised before

DSK

Jack Hornor's account of the Westsail 32's ancestery argrees with my memory.
See his review he

http://www.boatus.com/jackhornor/sail/Westsail32.htm

--
Roger Long

Westsail 32 - opinions Bob Cruising 4 December 4th 06 07:57 AM
Westsail 32 - opinions Bob ASA 4 December 4th 06 07:57 AM
Westsail 32 - opinions katy Cruising 1 December 4th 06 12:10 AM
Westsail 32 - opinions katy ASA 1 December 4th 06 12:10 AM
Westsail 32 - opinions Ellen MacArthur ASA 0 December 4th 06 12:00 AM