Bob Bob is offline

Default Westsail 32 - opinions

Charlie Morgan wrote:
I'm interested in opinions on Westsail 32's in general. CWM

Every time I read this question I get ****ed with other people's
replys. IN every case several people chim in with WestSnail and other
cute comments about how SLOW the design is.

Okay, so how fast is a 32' boat suppose to go?????
But speed is of little importance when your talking about 6.5 k
compared to 8 K. whats that mean for a 2500 mile leg? Maybe 72 hours?
But if the weather kicks up will that "fast" boat be able to maintain 8
k or will it have to slow down to 6 K to keep from pounding into
chunks.

Ya wana go fast......? fly fool, then rent the car, then rent the boat.

But more imortantly........... the Westsail was designed and built to
do one thing very well: sail all oceans safely. Try that on a "fast"
Erickson 32 or a Ranger or Cascade or ....

If youre thinking of sailing to Europe or Hawaii buy the Westsail. Last
week that big Pacific High was stalled as usual. Conditions to
Hawaii....... steady 25 knot winds gusting to 31 Knots with 17' seas.
Abosolutly perfect sailing conditions ! ! ! For a Westsail or Freya or
Ingrid!
Its as simple as using the right tool for the intended job. I keep
hearing, "Mickey Mouse peice of ****... why wont anything hold together
nowdays?!?"

Bob wrote:
Charlie Morgan wrote:
I'm interested in opinions on Westsail 32's in general. CWM

Every time I read this question I get ****ed with other people's
replys. IN every case several people chim in with WestSnail and other
cute comments about how SLOW the design is.

Okay, so how fast is a 32' boat suppose to go?????
But speed is of little importance when your talking about 6.5 k
compared to 8 K. whats that mean for a 2500 mile leg? Maybe 72 hours?

I think you're being extremely optimistic about the Westsail's speed.

Its as simple as using the right tool for the intended job. I keep
hearing, "Mickey Mouse peice of ****... why wont anything hold together
nowdays?!?"

I would not disagree with this; I would think about the Westsail if I
wanted a life of long distance passage making. However, some people
buy them for coastal cruising because they feel safer. I have friends
that got one, and while they were happy with it while cruising the
Bahamas, as they got a bit older the "heavy" tiller became a burden
and they used it very little.

Its as simple as using the right tool for the intended job.

Very well put Bob... in MHO you said it like it is... when it
came to some of the preceeding posts regarding this subject.

Best regards

Bill

"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..
Bob wrote:
Charlie Morgan wrote:
I'm interested in opinions on Westsail 32's in general. CWM

Every time I read this question I get ****ed with other people's
replys. IN every case several people chim in with WestSnail and other
cute comments about how SLOW the design is.

Okay, so how fast is a 32' boat suppose to go?????
But speed is of little importance when your talking about 6.5 k
compared to 8 K. whats that mean for a 2500 mile leg? Maybe 72 hours?

I think you're being extremely optimistic about the Westsail's speed.

Not at all. With a consistent 20kts. (like the Tradewinds) the Wetsnail
will easily do 7kts., verified time and again with GPS.

I would not disagree with this; I would think about the Westsail if I
wanted a life of long distance passage making. However, some people buy
them for coastal cruising because they feel safer. I have friends that
got one, and while they were happy with it while cruising the Bahamas, as
they got a bit older the "heavy" tiller became a burden and they used it
very little.

I'd suspect that most sailors who buy them for coastal cruising and
daysailing become as frustrated with them as I did. They are interminably
sluggish in under 15kts. of wind. (read: no damn fun at all)

Max

Bob Bob is offline

Maxprop wrote:
I'd suspect that most sailors who buy them for coastal cruising and
daysailing become as frustrated with them as I did. They are interminably
sluggish in under 15kts. of wind. (read: no damn fun at all)
Max

Excellent solution............... sail them in areas where 15 k plus is
typical.

I finsihed spending a couple years in an area where the average summer
wind speed was about 15 kt. Probem was it was days of zero then days of
30 +. The hunters, catalina and macgregors hated it, etihter not
enough or to much. ANd then there were the too slugs in the marina. at
35 the two slugs were josssling in their slips and staining at the
lines. Just couldnt wait to go sailing. Tis amazing how nimble and
responsive a slug/snail mullosk type boat becomes in the wind in which
they were intended. They just jump alive, get tight, are eager to
point.

For the music players. Ever play a solid silver flute. They just dont
make music until the air temp is about 82 degrees. Then they just come
alive an nearly jump out of your hand. Unless that metal gets heated up
ya got a flat lifeless chunk of metal.

Boats are the same.

Westsail 32 - opinions Maxprop Cruising 26 December 5th 06 01:11 PM
Westsail 32 - opinions Maxprop ASA 24 December 5th 06 01:11 PM
Westsail 32 - opinions Paul Cassel Cruising 0 December 4th 06 12:43 AM
Westsail 32 - opinions katy Cruising 1 December 4th 06 12:10 AM
Westsail 32 - opinions katy ASA 1 December 4th 06 12:10 AM