Default Westsail 32 - opinions

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 15:45:49 -0500, Charlie Morgan wrote:

I'm more interested in hearing about how the boat sails and what it
is like to spend long periods aboard. I already like the looks and the size,
although I've also considered some larger boats. The boat would be used
initially for frequent daysails (often single handed) long weekends, and cruises
of a week or two at most. In a few years, we'd be on the boat for six or more
months at a time.

They are large for a 32 but exceedingly slow for coastal cruising,
especially in light air. I think in the near term you'd be happier
with something lighter and faster. For the same price you could
probably also go up in size to a 34 or 35.

In my opinion, and yes I am a bit spoiled, a 32 is too small to be
comfortable for 6 months at a time, and too small for serious offshore
work. There will people who disagree but I'd want something closer to
40 ft or more for extended cruising or living aboard.

In article ,
Wayne.B wrote:

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 15:45:49 -0500, Charlie Morgan wrote:

I'm more interested in hearing about how the boat sails and what it
is like to spend long periods aboard. I already like the looks and
the size, although I've also considered some larger boats. The boat
would be used initially for frequent daysails (often single handed)
long weekends, and cruises of a week or two at most. In a few years,
we'd be on the boat for six or more months at a time.

They are large for a 32 but exceedingly slow for coastal cruising,
especially in light air. I think in the near term you'd be happier
with something lighter and faster. For the same price you could
probably also go up in size to a 34 or 35.

Wayne's may be the one to listen to. People buy boats for trips they
think they might do, and wind up with the wrong boat for them at that
time. Determine what you're realistically going to do in the near-term,
five to seven years, and get a boat that does that well.

We had similar needs as yours seem to be when Xan claimed our hearts.
After 12 or so seasons, she still meets our expected needs for the next
5 or so years though our sights are set a little further. Next time I'm
between jobs, we'll take her down to the Bahamas for a season, see if we
like the taste of long-term cruising.

--
Jere Lull

In article ,
Charlie Morgan wrote:

Thanks Jere. We already have the "lighter faster" boat, and we will
be keeping it. The Westsail would be an addition, not a replacement.
I really don't need it right now, but I know this particular boat and
it is a combination of being set up the way I would prefer, upkeep by
a perfectionist since new, and a very reasonable price. My "lighter
faster" boat is great as a daysailer, and trips of a week or two.
It's a bit light on creature comforts. This boat would fill that gap.

Don't own two boats at the same time. Very, very bad idea unless you're
a racer. That will not wind up being a good story.

You've heard the (I believe) Chinese pictogram for "trouble"?

(two women under one roof).

Find one boat for the next few years.

Heck, you might even like a Tanzer. Better space, accommodations,
stowage, lots faster, and inexpensive to buy and own. We annoy the cats
around here by passing them too often. (One is a friend.) Don't know
your current boat, but take a look at the 7.5 or 26 and larger.

Maybe not *quite* as tough as a Westsail, but we've gathered a lot of
Tanzer 1, something else, like a dock 0 stories.

Maybe better: The Tanzer association is super friendly and helpful. We
can fix or replace anything, in addition to helping you get the best out
of the boat. Many consider that the boat's best selling point.

Web: http://www.tanzer22.com/

--
Jere Lull

Westsail 32 - opinions Bob Cruising 4 December 4th 06 07:57 AM
Westsail 32 - opinions Paul Cassel Cruising 0 December 4th 06 12:43 AM
Westsail 32 - opinions katy Cruising 1 December 4th 06 12:10 AM
Westsail 32 - opinions katy ASA 1 December 4th 06 12:10 AM
Westsail 32 - opinions Ellen MacArthur Cruising 0 December 4th 06 12:00 AM