Boatsqueak

Default Rob Dubin - watch out for this scammer

Charlie et al,

Wow. I knew there was a reason I didn't participate much in this user group
stuff. I post a warning about a couple of cons who sail around passing
himself off as a nice couple with a real "sailing industry" background all
the while scamming businesses and individuals right and left and half the
replies run to rescue THEIR reputation.

Charlie - Basically, I met the Dubins aboard their boat in Maeva in
mid-April. They were having some technical problems with their DC charging
system and I offered to take a look at it. The regulator and alternator
diode turned out to be fried. We had friends coming out from the states to
join us in three days. Rob Dubin asked if it would be possible to have them
bring out spares. Since they were already bringing stuff for us I readily
agreed and didn't give it another thought. Three days later our friends
show up with everything including the Dubin's parts which I promptly rowed
over and delivered. They said they would reimburse me the next day after
the went into town.

With out our friends out for only 8 days, I wasn't really available to help
install the parts. I was a little surprised when Dubin was rather insistent
but figured he was just a little panicky. I sent my wife and friends off on
their own for the day and stayed to install the parts in Dubin's boat while
he watched. Fine. No big deal - glad to be of help. This was the third
day and I still hadn't gotten my money back out of Dubin but he said he have
it first thing in the AM. No sweat - whatever is convenient. By the time I
came out of the cabin at 9:00am the next morning Dubin's boat was gone and I
haven't heard from them since. It seems they also pulled some small
variations of the same theme for even very small amounts of money with some
local vendors. I hadn't planned to say much - what's the point. However,
now that I am back it still ****es me off.

As for the admiration you express for the scam Dubin apparently pulled of
the manufacturers, I think that speaks for itself. Kind of sad when right
and wrong are determined solely by what you can legally get away with. No,
I'm not jealous and I doubt the fellow who relayed that story is either.

Karin - You certainly should "hear their side of the story". I'm sure they
is a very reasonable explanation for why they do what they do.

Dennis - Interesting analysis. I assume this is supposed to mean that the
Dubins must be OK people.

Anyway. This is it for me. I never was too big on this armchair sailor
thing. I just wanted to try to save someone else the frustration and
expense I incurred. Do with it what you will.

Mike

Brian Whatcott

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 00:46:45 GMT, "Boatsqueak"
wrote:
///

Anyway. This is it for me. I never was too big on this armchair sailor
thing. I just wanted to try to save someone else the frustration and
expense I incurred. Do with it what you will.

Mike

When you present the facts, and allow others to use their judgment
then you can reasonably expect support:
but when you offer an unsupported judgment which is derogatory,
you get just the opposite reaction - as you found....

That's the way armchair sailors are - and everyone else too, come to
think of it.

Still, it sounds like at least *you* did the right thing. And that
counts....

Brian Whatcott