Bryan B

Default Through Hulls, Peggie Hall

Hi Peggie,

I tried to e-mail direct but it would not go through, so to answer your
questions:

Change from 23 holes to 9. They were, 4 depth sounders, 2 speedo's, 4
engine intakes,
3 ship water intakes, 2 sink drains, 4 cockpit drains, 2 toilet discharge, 2
A/C intakes.

Today: 1 engine intake, 1 ship water intake, 1 sink drain, 4 cockpit drains,
2 toilet discharges. Although I will be re-installing one speedo which means
a hole.

We installed 5 new valves for the engine intake, ship water, sink drain, and
toilet discharges. We serviced the cockpit drains, lapping back to new and
greasing, all were frozen. All valves are now through bolted with backing
plates, and external skin fittings.

While an instrument is not a valved through hull it is a hole in the hull
and I consider it a
potential location that could sink the boat.

Regarding the Moody. This is a new (2000?) 46 that a friend owns. He was on
our boat when we were closing up and wanted to know why we were closing
valves. I told him, we always closed all the valves when leaving the boat.
He asked "why, didn't we trust our plumbing". I explained; even though it
is all new and I trust it completely, it is just a good habit, it forces us
to work the valves and look at everything on a regular basis. At that point
he told us he wouldn't do that because he had 33 through hulls. He said he
knew where they all were and had them all tagged, I belive him. This is an
example of a quality boat builder. Can you imagine what the schlock boat
builders are doing?

Peggie Hall

Sorry you couldn't respond to my email, Bryan...Mailwasher (spam
blocker) is occasionally a bit overprotective. And my ISP was having
horrible problems yesterday due to problems from the blaster virus.

Since they're not actually holes, I wouldn't have thought of speedo and
depth sounder transducers as thru-hulls.

Why so much redundancy--4 depth sounders, 2 speedos? That has to be a
PO's idea...I can't imagine any builder spending the money to do it
unless it was factory "test" boat on which they wanted to see how
different makes/models worked in actual practice...and 4 engine intakes
for one engine?

However, no need to belabor the subject...I was only curious to know why
any boat that size would have so many thru-hulls. Thanks for going the
extra mile to answer.

Btw, after today, I'll be AWOL from the NGs till sometime next
week...I'll be at the Newport (RI) boat show. If any of you plan to come
to the show, stop by Defender's booth and say hi...that's where I'll be,
signing copies of my book.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Glenn Ashmore

Peggie Hall wrote:

Btw, after today, I'll be AWOL from the NGs till sometime next
week...I'll be at the Newport (RI) boat show. If any of you plan to come
to the show, stop by Defender's booth and say hi...that's where I'll be,
signing copies of my book.

Peggy,

Can't make it to Newport this year. Are you going to Annapolis? I will
be up there for Thursday and Friday.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Peggie Hall

Peggy,

Can't make it to Newport this year. Are you going to Annapolis? I will
be up there for Thursday and Friday.

Yep...I'm planning to be at the Annapolis shows too. It'll be good to
see you again!

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

LaBomba182

Subject: Through Hulls, Peggie Hall
From: "Bryan B"

This is an
example of a quality boat builder. Can you imagine what the schlock boat
builders are doing?

Putting in fewer to keep labor and parts costs down? :-)

Capt. Bill

Question for Peggie Hall Capt Frank Hopkins General 6 April 21st 04 03:57 PM
Peggie Hall question Wayne.B General 14 March 24th 04 01:36 AM
Ping: Peggie Hall RG General 2 March 20th 04 07:27 PM
Opinion from Peggie? Gould 0738 General 6 August 30th 03 04:05 PM
cleaning water tank - For Peggie Hall Florida Keyz Cruising 6 August 8th 03 02:52 AM