Steve

Default Reef'g line storage?

I have rigged reefing lines (kinda Jiffy) on my mainsail and want to leave
them rigged since they pass through the boom.

The reefing system works fine but when I fully drop the mail sail, I end up
with two long loops of slack reefing lines hanging down into the cockpit.

I have never had a reefing system like this before nor have I noticed how
other deal with neatly storing these lines.

I could go to the mast and pull the slack out, but then that would be one
more thing (two more lines) to deal with when I want to hoist the main sail
later.

Right now, I just gather up the slack line and stuff it in between the folds
of the sail. I expect that the line may come adrift in a blow or heavy
weather..

Today, I just gather up the slack and used it to tie down the aft portion of
the sail. Doesn't look very neat.. Looks like a 'cow hitch'.

Does anyone have a method or solution for stowing these slack lines that
won't interfer with hoisting the sail later.

Thoughts? Ideas? Experiences?

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

john s.

"Steve" wrote in message ...
[...]

I use a "centipedee" with shock cords to hold the furled mainsail and
I just pass the reefing lines inside the variouss shock cord
"loops".Holds the reefing lines nicely oin place, even when running
before a 40 knots wind with only a small portion of the furled genoa
out.
john

Does anyone have a method or solution for stowing these slack lines that
won't interfer with hoisting the sail later.

Thoughts? Ideas? Experiences?

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Jere Lull

Steve wrote:

I have rigged reefing lines (kinda Jiffy) on my mainsail and want to leave
them rigged since they pass through the boom.

The reefing system works fine but when I fully drop the mail sail, I end up
with two long loops of slack reefing lines hanging down into the cockpit.

I have never had a reefing system like this before nor have I noticed how
other deal with neatly storing these lines.

I could go to the mast and pull the slack out, but then that would be one
more thing (two more lines) to deal with when I want to hoist the main sail
later.

Right now, I just gather up the slack line and stuff it in between the folds
of the sail. I expect that the line may come adrift in a blow or heavy
weather..

That's essentially what we do: As I flake the sails, the reefing lines
go on top before the second flake. If the wind gets underneath the sail
cover to pull the lines out, we've got other problems.

--
Jere Lull

Geoffrey W. Schultz

Jere Lull wrote in
:

Steve wrote:

[...]

I have pretty much the same system. However, we tighten the reefing lines
when the sails are coming down or are down. Before I pull the sails up I
reach up into the boom (it's open underneath at the end) and pull a slack
loop so that when the main is going up that there isn't any tension.

-- Geoff

What anchor should I buy? Ree-Yees General 89 May 22nd 04 09:05 PM
Birthdate of Norman Maclean Harry Krause General 1 December 24th 03 12:05 AM
Storage Dividers??? Rob V General 1 September 16th 03 07:17 PM
Fuel pump to carbs fuel line replacement Bob General 5 July 29th 03 05:51 PM