Rosalie B.

Default Give me advice! Bareboat charter in Caribbean

x-no-archive:yes

"Don W." wrote:

I should
add that we hired the captain directly, and he did not work for the
charter company although he was on their list of outside captains.

YMMV,

I put this at the top of the post because this IMHO KEY to getting a
good captain. When I was putting down captains, I really meant
getting a bareboat and letting the bareboat company assign a captain
to you. I've read a couple of horror stories about that - one where
the captain wouldn't let them fish even though they had specifically
asked if they could bring their gear and fish.

Sometimes the bareboat company will assign a good captain (in one of
the horror stories there had been a really good captain assigned that
was between boats or his own, but the charter company changed him to
another charter at the last minute), but keep in mind that the
captains get a flat rate (probably less than you pay the charter
company) and IMHO if he had any ambition or was any good, he wouldn't
be working for the charter company.

Hi Rosalie,

Just to give a different opinion of charter "captains". We
chartered out of Ft. Lauderdale, and crossed to the Bahamas
on a 51' Bendytoy. It started as two couples on a 42' boat,
but got a last minute upgrade to the 51' at no extra cost because
another couple wanted the 42', and they hadn't hired a captain.
Then, at the last moment, the other couple dropped out.

So that left just the three of us--me, my wife, and our captain
on a 51' boat. This worked out great, because our captain knew
the area very well, including clearing procedures, and where the
good anchorages were. He also brought his fishing gear, which we
would not have had otherwise.

A good captain is well worth the money you spend on paying and feeding
him, just for the local knowledge. Our's expected to cook for
us, and was willing to provision the boat before we arrived, but we said
no. We provisioned, and shared the cooking because we both like to cook.

Its also nice to have someone who is getting paid, so they don't mind
standing late night watches, and anchor watches. We also swapped
stories etc, and ended up learning from a very seasoned blue water sailor.

Bottom line is that if you get a _good_ captain, they are worth more
than you'll pay for them, and you'll have made a new friend.

Of course, you could also end up with a personality conflict.

Don W.

"Rosalie B." wrote:

x-no-archive:yes (nick) wrote:

I'm planning a sailing charter in the Caribbean around Christmas -
7-10 days with captain for two couples.

Just a note - I note that you talk about bareboating 'with a captain'.
IMHO that's the worst of both worlds. You have to do all the work of
feeding and catering to the captain, so you are responsible for the
provisioning etc and that negates the savings you get by bareboating.

snip

grandma Rosalie

grandma Rosalie
Jim B

"Jim Woodward" wrote in message
m...

If you said "in the Caribbean", I'd agree wholeheartedly, and
absolutely so with respect to the BVI, but "in the tropics" covers a
lot of ground.

snip lots of lovely places

All of the above have magificent diving and snorkeling, but except for
Isla del Coco and, possibly, Eritrea, you have to have your own boat
and a lot of time to get there.

All agreed Jim, but he was talking chartering, and almost by definition, if
it's a charter area, there's sufficient traffic to change the area and give
it a commercial outlook. But yes, these things are a matter of degree . . .
--
Jim B, Yacht RAPAZ,
Summers in the Med, winters in UK

Jere Lull

nick wrote:

I'm planning a sailing charter in the Caribbean around Christmas -
7-10 days with captain for two couples.

I've never been to the Caribbean and am looking for advice on which
island group would best fit our interests:

snorkeling and diving,
lack of crowds,
unihabited or islands still in their natural state,
close distance between islands.

We're not interested in nightlife or cities.

I'd love to hear any advice, ranging from where to go, favorite
charter companies, etc.

Thanks.

There have been a lot of good points offered.....

The first time in any area, *I* will pay a captain for the first day at
least. We have skippered up to 51' bareboats already, mono and multi, so
the charter companies don't require us to do checkout captains. If the
crew disagrees, I'll pay for the captain out of my own pocket. The first
time "there", a captain is vital for "local information".

I could easily plot a path through the BVI that satisfied all stated
requirements, though there are some "must" destinations that should be
experienced at least once. They can easily be visited before the hordes
arrive. Give a yell off the groups if you want me to do it for you, as I
don't broadcast my favorite spots (particularly on our trip pages, below)

If you, as charterer, are not "current in type" (don't sail a boat
within about 5 or so feet of the chosen charter boat), a crewed charter
may be your best bet. You don't HAVE to do anything, but you can help as
much as you like. The next time down, you'll know a lot more. Wherever
you go, you'll want to return.

--
Jere Lull

Geoffrey W. Schultz

If you're interested in seeing photos of all of these places, please
visit mu sailing site at http://www.geoffschultz.org/ and head into the
"2002 Sailing" section.

-- Geoff

"lbockhed" wrote in
:

just done the following:

Tobago
Cays (three uninhabited islands), Palm Island, Petit St. Vincent,
Carriacou, Sandy Island (uninhabited, great snorkeling) Grenada.

however tobago cays had a fair few boats around it (and its rainy
season)

stayed on carriacou for 2 weeks, this place is stuck in a time warp
(ideal if you like that)
there is Anse La Roch beach on Carriacou also (not many people go
there)

"Kelton Joyner" wrote in message
Charter from the Moorings in St. Lucia. Sail the windwards one way
from St. Lucia to Grenada. St. Lucia to Bequia, Canouan, Mayreau,
Tobago Cays (three uninhabited islands), Palm Island, Petit St.
Vincent, Carriacou, Sandy Island (uninhabited, great snorkeling)
Grenada. Exactly what you are looking for, we have done it several
times, and looking forward to leaving Florida fall of 2004 to head
south.

Kelton Joyner
s/v Isle Escape

nick wrote:
I'm planning a sailing charter in the Caribbean around Christmas -
7-10 days with captain for two couples.

I've never been to the Caribbean and am looking for advice on which
island group would best fit our interests:

snorkeling and diving,
lack of crowds,
unihabited or islands still in their natural state,
close distance between islands.

We're not interested in nightlife or cities.

I'd love to hear any advice, ranging from where to go, favorite
charter companies, etc.

Thanks.

Geoffrey W. Schultz

If you're interested in seeing photos of all of these places, please
visit mu sailing site at http://www.geoffschultz.org/ and head into the
"2001 Sailing" section.

-- Geoff (reposted with correct section.)

"lbockhed" wrote in
:

nick wrote:
I'm planning a sailing charter in the Caribbean around Christmas -
7-10 days with captain for two couples.

I've never been to the Caribbean and am looking for advice on which
island group would best fit our interests:

snorkeling and diving,
lack of crowds,
unihabited or islands still in their natural state,
close distance between islands.

We're not interested in nightlife or cities.

I'd love to hear any advice, ranging from where to go, favorite
charter companies, etc.

Thanks.

maria

nick wrote:
I'm planning a sailing charter in the Caribbean around Christmas -
7-10 days with captain for two couples.

I've never been to the Caribbean and am looking for advice on which
island group would best fit our interests:

snorkeling and diving,
lack of crowds,
unihabited or islands still in their natural state,
close distance between islands.

We're not interested in nightlife or cities.

I'd love to hear any advice, ranging from where to go, favorite
charter companies, etc.

Thanks.

Maybe you booked already your sailing trip to the Grenadines, if not
you could visit http://www.islandtimeholidays.com, they offer a great
variety of beautiful yachts and give great tips.Frits

maria

Philip Allum wrote in message ...
Go to Thailand or Malaysia. Everything the Caribbean has got in the way
of snorkelling, diving, deserted islands, empty anchorages, X 10 and NO
CROWDS. last time we were there was in February and in 12 days we saw
maybe a dozen yachts.

In message , nick
writes
I'm planning a sailing charter in the Caribbean around Christmas -
7-10 days with captain for two couples.

I've never been to the Caribbean and am looking for advice on which
island group would best fit our interests:

snorkeling and diving,
lack of crowds,
unihabited or islands still in their natural state,
close distance between islands.

We're not interested in nightlife or cities.

I'd love to hear any advice, ranging from where to go, favorite
charter companies, etc.

Thanks.

Maybe you booked already your sailing trip to the Grenadines, if not
you could visit http://www.islandtimeholidays.com, they offer a great
variety of beautiful yachts and give great tips.Frits
Scott Odell

nick wrote:
I'm planning a sailing charter in the Caribbean around Christmas -
7-10 days with captain for two couples.

Nick,
Check out Barefoot Yacht Charters in St. Vincent
http://www.barefootyachts.com. They are a small but very well run outfit
with a good selection of boats and extremely knowledgeble and friendly
staff. My wife and I bareboated a Beneteau O40 from them a few years ago -
ten days were about right to do St. Vincent to Union Island and return,
including Mustique, Mayreau, Tobago Keys and Bequia, plus some sightseeing
on St. Vincent. For a less-than-two weeks itinerary you'll save a bunch of
time and rough inter-island passage-making if you start from St. Vincent
rather than St. Lucia.

We've previously chartered from several other companies -- no outright
disasters -- but Barefoot was tops in quality of boats, maintenance,
locally relevant advice and personal service. I have no connection with the
company - just a very satisfied customer. Contact me off list if you need
more info.

Scott