Jere Lull

Default Give me advice! Bareboat charter in Caribbean

nick wrote:

I'm planning a sailing charter in the Caribbean around Christmas -
7-10 days with captain for two couples.

I've never been to the Caribbean and am looking for advice on which
island group would best fit our interests:

snorkeling and diving,
lack of crowds,
unihabited or islands still in their natural state,
close distance between islands.

We're not interested in nightlife or cities.

I'd love to hear any advice, ranging from where to go, favorite
charter companies, etc.

Thanks.

There have been a lot of good points offered.....

The first time in any area, *I* will pay a captain for the first day at
least. We have skippered up to 51' bareboats already, mono and multi, so
the charter companies don't require us to do checkout captains. If the
crew disagrees, I'll pay for the captain out of my own pocket. The first
time "there", a captain is vital for "local information".

I could easily plot a path through the BVI that satisfied all stated
requirements, though there are some "must" destinations that should be
experienced at least once. They can easily be visited before the hordes
arrive. Give a yell off the groups if you want me to do it for you, as I
don't broadcast my favorite spots (particularly on our trip pages, below)

If you, as charterer, are not "current in type" (don't sail a boat
within about 5 or so feet of the chosen charter boat), a crewed charter
may be your best bet. You don't HAVE to do anything, but you can help as
much as you like. The next time down, you'll know a lot more. Wherever
you go, you'll want to return.

--
Jere Lull