Cheshire

Default Satellite TV with Follow-Me

I'm seriously considering buying the Follow-Me device, because I have talked
to several people that say they work great. My concern is the satellite TV
service. The local Direct-TV dealer says that he can sign me up for the
service that will get me the major networks, et al. However, I keep reading
that FCC regulations do not permit boats to have this service. Does anyone
here use Direct-TV (or the other one whose name eludes me) with the
Follow-Me? I would some information.

Thanks

George

Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes "Cheshire" wrote:

I'm seriously considering buying the Follow-Me device, because I have talked
to several people that say they work great. My concern is the satellite TV
service. The local Direct-TV dealer says that he can sign me up for the
service that will get me the major networks, et al. However, I keep reading
that FCC regulations do not permit boats to have this service. Does anyone
here use Direct-TV (or the other one whose name eludes me) with the
Follow-Me? I would some information.

We have Direct-TV and have the local networks and we got it for the
boat. We told them to get us service as if it were an RV as RVs are
allowed to have local networks. I did not hide what we were doing.
Everyone involved was told we were on a boat, and the address is a
marina address. We have the follow-me and it works great.

We got it in anticipation of going south last winter and then didn't
go. So we brought it home and used it at home. Eventually we got
another receiver so my husband could see his shows and I could see
mine. We do not have a direct phone line to the set-up because we
told them we were on cell phones on the boat. They resisted, but we
insisted.

I don't know what will happen when we get outside of our local network
area - whether they will cut us off from that. I haven't enquired
because I don't want to call attention. We took one receiver and
moved it down to the boat and went down (from southern MD) to the
Northern Neck of VA and over to Crisfield and back, and it worked
great.

Bob has made an extension for the dish because the Follow-Me and the
dish would be in the way of the boom (we have it in the aft cabin).
The only problem we had was that in the slip in Crisfield the signal
came in directly into the boom so we had to move the dish to a
different place. We put it back in the stowed position (not on top
of the Follow Me) and that worked fine. The follow-me worked great at
anchor.

HTH

grandma Rosalie

S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD
CSY 44 WO #156
http://home.mindspring.com/~gmbeasley/id2.html

Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes (Ron Thornton) wrote:

Rosalie,

They don't know where the receiver is. You could move it anywhere the
satellite covers and it would still get your locate network stations and
your program package. It is encoded to your account on your receiver.

I have installed about 45 DirectTV receivers in my sons restaurants.
Every time we open a new one they want a phone connected to them all (11
at each place). On the second installation I called the tech guys in
Miami and found out that the phone is only used for the receiver to call
in Pay Per View which we never use. The order takers on the phone at
DTV don't understand this so we just give them the business number and
don't hook it up.

Yes I understand that - I just told them it was a cell phone and
couldn't be hooked up to the TV, so if we wanted PPV (which we never
do), we'd just call on the phone rather than ordering direct.

I'm not sure, but I think the advantage of an RV account is that you can
get the networks (but not from your local stations) even if your local
area does not have that coverage yet.

?? I'm not sure what you are saying. If we are in a house where
there is no local station coverage we get the network feeds (from NY
on the east coast). I don't want that. I LIKE the local networks. I
just don't want to be charged the extra amount for the local networks
if I don't get them. I'd rather get the local stations local to
where I am in some cases rather than getting the local to my house at
home stations.

But in some situations, I can get local to where I am stations on an
antenna, which was all we had before we got the Follow Me.

The only thing I've not found a good solution for is The Weather
Channel, which I can only get local weather on cable.

grandma Rosalie
Keith

If you have a RV or Trucker account, you can get the local stations wherever
you are. With a boat, you can't... you can only get a national feed,
probably New York or CA or wherever. For some reason, the Direct TV folks
are dead-set against granting boaters the same service as they gladly
provide the RV crowd. Boat/U.S.' lobbying group is working on this.

--

Keith
__
"Ron Thornton" wrote in message
[...]

Ron

Toolowd

I think you get the local that was programmed into the thing to begin with.

Rich