peter kaiser

Default taking people on your cruse-leagal question

dear reader
On 8/20/ I had the question concerning "captain licence" for this group.
thanks for the answers. Put I need some more perspectives on this matter.
Lets say I take some people on board and they pay some money. money for
foot/gas/portfees. the vessel has a BVI flag I am German. I have no licence
as a captain in no country. I know what I do by Self learning and
books/newsgroups etc. how is my leagal situation. I am not insured. Only
when I damage another boat.
I would like to take people on board from time to time but don t know the
risk. There are always people looking for crew or charter. can I take them
and how can I prodect my interests.
thanks
peter
My boat is AWAB and I will be back in Guatemala end of september
www.awab.net

LaBomba182

Subject: taking people on your cruse-leagal question

explain to your customers your situation and have them sign a waver.

LOL Yeah that'll work.

Capt. Bill
Jack Rye

Peter, First contact your insurance company. This will be a great place to
start. Explain to the agent exactly what you are doing. The agent will
then be best able to suggest what type of policies your going to need. The
type of policies to cover you and your passengers may be underwritten
pleasure craft or commercial, depending on what it is your trying to do. He
will also be able to explain the requirements you will need to accomplish
your mission.

Good luck

Jack

"peter kaiser" wrote in message
[...]

Jim Woodward

Remember, you've got three sets of rules that might apply -- Britain
(BVI), German, and the local laws, wherever you are. Most of us know
only the US rules.

In the US, the rules changed about five years ago. The old rules were
that the guest could not pay ANYTHING. Even buying you a meal ashore
made it a charter for hire and required a license. Now the guests may
share expenses -- fuel, port dues, food, whatever, as long as it's a
reasonable share.

Jack's advice, below, is good. It's unlikely that any of the port
authorities are going to bother you unless they get upset about your
competing with the local charter boats. But, if something happens,
you want your insurance company to pay.....

Jim Woodward
www.mvfintry.com