Default Atlantic crossing

Hi,
Got a crossing to do in Jan/ Feb 2007 from near Antigua to Gibralta.
What are the thoughts on how far north to go before I turn right.
I have looked at the routing charts and they are pretty inconclusive
with the slightly preferred being to head up to about 30N and then go
East.
What does the group think
Jeff

I can't help you with the route but I wonder :: why are you leaving the
Caribbean in the middle of winter? I thought that is when folks like to be
there.

==============
"Jeff" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,
Got a crossing to do in Jan/ Feb 2007 from near Antigua to Gibralta.
What are the thoughts on how far north to go before I turn right.
I have looked at the routing charts and they are pretty inconclusive
with the slightly preferred being to head up to about 30N and then go
East.
What does the group think
Jeff

...why are you leaving the Caribbean in the middle of winter?

If I recall... Jeff does "deliveries"... which is probably the case
in this thread of his.

Best regards

Bill

Jeff wrote:
Hi,
Got a crossing to do in Jan/ Feb 2007 from near Antigua to Gibralta.
What are the thoughts on how far north to go before I turn right.
I have looked at the routing charts and they are pretty inconclusive
with the slightly preferred being to head up to about 30N and then go
East.
What does the group think
Jeff

You have the choice of the northern route with the prevailing westerlies,
and freezing to death, or the warmer southerly route, which could turn into
a 3000-mile beat.

wrote in message
oups.com...

...why are you leaving the Caribbean in the middle of winter?

If I recall... Jeff does "deliveries"... which is probably the case
in this thread of his.

Hummmm... a delivery Captain checking on an internet newsgroup for
directions on crossing the atlantic?

Best regards

Bill

Hi chaps,
No not a delivery skipper, just a bloke who has done a few miles and
has agreed to bring back a boat for a mate from W/I to Croatia, where
he wants it for summer

jeff
Gerald wrote:
oups.com...

Jeff wrote:
Hi,
Got a crossing to do in Jan/ Feb 2007 from near Antigua to Gibralta.
What are the thoughts on how far north to go before I turn right.
I have looked at the routing charts and they are pretty inconclusive
with the slightly preferred being to head up to about 30N and then go
East.
What does the group think

No good route. You need to go far north to find good sailing
winds/currents. Are you equipped for cold weather sailing? That's the
missing part of your post. How far north CAN you go?

I've sailed in cold weather w/o good gear. I will NEVER NEVER do that
again.

-paul
Jan Jan is offline

On 9 Oct 2006 08:11:20 -0700, "Jeff" wrote:

Having experienced, on several occasions, the North Atlantic in winter when I
was in the Royal Navy, there is no way anyone could entice me out there in a
small boat. Have you any idea at all what the conditions are like at that time
of year?
I would suggest waiting until April or even May and then head up the centre to
Bermuda, then to the Azores, then on to Gib. If your mate wants his boat
earlier than that, I'd tell him to get it himself.

Jan

Hi chaps,
No not a delivery skipper, just a bloke who has done a few miles and
has agreed to bring back a boat for a mate from W/I to Croatia, where
he wants it for summer

jeff
Gerald wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

...why are you leaving the Caribbean in the middle of winter?

If I recall... Jeff does "deliveries"... which is probably the case
in this thread of his.

Hummmm... a delivery Captain checking on an internet newsgroup for
directions on crossing the atlantic?

Best regards

Bill

"If you can't take a joke,you shouldn't have joined"

ray ray is offline

On 8 Oct 2006 10:15:17 -0700, "Jeff"
wrote:

Hi,
Got a crossing to do in Jan/ Feb 2007 from near Antigua to Gibralta.
What are the thoughts on how far north to go before I turn right.
I have looked at the routing charts and they are pretty inconclusive
with the slightly preferred being to head up to about 30N and then go
East.
What does the group think
Jeff

It's different each year.
The question isn't how far north, but how far north without hitting
ice bergs, lad. Go to the library and check out Jimmy Cornell's $50
book on the subject. Good luck to you.

Atlantic Crossing on a 26' MacGregor ? [email protected] Cruising 68 December 13th 05 07:01 PM
Atlantic Crossing on small power boat ? Awsome Crew 6 November 17th 05 01:50 PM
Brit attempts north Atlantic crossing in a 14' powered by a kite *JimH* General 3 August 21st 05 04:41 AM
HAM and SSB Frequencies Bill Cruising 5 August 18th 05 07:58 PM
Wanted: info on North Atlantic crossing via Greenland Leonard H. Tower Jr. UK Power Boats 0 January 25th 04 03:20 AM