Default volvo tamd 31 "smoke" trouble

I recently bought a used Volvo TAMD 31 engine for my 24' fishing boat.
This motor went through a major refurbishing job - the 4 pistons and
its cilinder vests (sp?) were replaced for new ones, new valves were
installed plus all new wiring, filters, etc were put in place, and the
motor went through a tuned up. After the motor was installed in the
boat, I let the motor run at low rpm for almost 100 hours before
putting the motor to its max. Just last week, the very first day after
this looooong break-in period, I let the boat go at full throthle for
about 30 minutes and everything seemed to go very smooth (nice steady
sound, no heavy smoke). After this 30 minutes passed, the engine choke
and went dead. Seems to me (as you can tell I do not have much
mechanical knowledge) the exhaust filter is giving off excessive
smoke, part of which is going to the turbo intake and choking the
engine due to the lack of oxigen. The mechanic suggested to replace the
exhaust hose to a different spot, which I don't agree because it does
not get rid of the original problem (excessive smoke). Any insight you
could give me will be greatly appreciate it!! I would be glad to
provide any details as you see fit.

Thanks!
Al

wrote:
[...]

have the oil seals on the turbo been checked....sounds as if the turbo
oil feed is bleeding into turbo and dumping oil into the intake......
result clouds of smoke and a choked engine.
remove dash to email

wrote:
[...]

First, running an engine at full throttle for half an hour is really
not a good idea. What color was the smoke? Black smoke indicates a fuel
rich condition, blue smoke indicates engine oil is being burnt, and
heavy white smoke indicates unburned fuel (bad exhaust valve). A bad
seal in the turbo could be a problem, but if it's that bad the engine
will frequently "run away" (you can't shut it down and it keeps
speeding up until it consumes all the engine oil, at which time it's
life is over, sometimes in a big way). You might want to go to the site
"www.boatdiesel.com" and ask there. Their are some very good people
there, I'd give them a try.

John

Thank you Shaun and Capt John. I should have been more specific and
accurate with the nature of the problem. The excess smoke is coming
from the oil pan filter, which is less than an inch away from the turbo
intake, causing all this smoke to go down to the turbo and choking the
engine. I did leave the engine at full throtle for quite a while, but
maybe closer to 20 minutes than half an hour.

Any ideas what it could be and how could I fix this. Any thoughts wound
be wonderful, thank you!

Capt John ha escrito:

wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure what your saying, is the smoke coming from the oil filter?
Is it leaking oil and the oil is hitting the hot turbo causing it to
burn and the smoke is getting sucked into the turbo? Are you sure it's
not exhaust fumes leaking from some place (like a manifold or the turbo
itself)? Exhaust fumes are not good, lots of abrasive particals. Is it
as simple as the gasket on the oil filter leaking? You said you ran the
engine for 100 hours before you put it to the max, does that mean you
ran the engine at very low speed for that time? If you did you could
have loaded up the turbo with soot, the engine probably just needs a
good run at speed to burn it off. Diesels don't like to be run at idle
for extended periods of time. Take off the oil fill cap and start the
engine, does it have excessive back pressure, and is the vent line
clear, it operates like a PVC system in a car but not quite the same,
just allows the pressure to escape.

John

Volvo Penta 270 Outdrive, what can it be hooked up to? tonycougar General 9 August 2nd 18 01:44 PM
Volvo spare part on board Cruising 17 August 4th 06 09:01 PM
Timing Volvo Penta 4.3 - Need "Special Tool"? Terry Haywood General 8 April 20th 05 09:34 PM
Volvo penta 270 outdrive, what can it be hooked up to? tonycougar General 1 March 27th 04 03:59 AM
Still Trouble Shooting 1982 Mercury V-6 Bob La Londe General 0 July 20th 03 03:33 AM