Terry Haywood

Default Timing Volvo Penta 4.3 - Need "Special Tool"?

Last week I posted about lots of water in the oil of my Volvo 4.3L at
the start of the season. Got lots of good suggestions and it turned
out to be freeze damage had cracked the intake manifold as several
people suggested.

I replaced that and the boat runs ok but the timing is clearly off. No
surprise since I removed the distributor to replace the intake and
just put it back by pointing the rotor at the number 1 position with
cylinder 1 at TDC.

My manual says I need to attach Volvo "special tool" 885163 to the
distributor while setting the timing, otherwise I'll damage the
electronics. The special tool is $21 (which is annoying but I can live
with) and out of stock (more annoying, don't want to wait).

It's just a cable - can I either make one myself or buy one at a car
parts store? I am guessing there is nothing special about this
distributor and it's the same thing GM put in cars. My problem is I
don't know what to ask for (can't ask for a Volvo boat engine special
tool at a car parts store). I believe it is a Delco Voyager
distributor - the engine is a 1997 Volvo Penta 4.3L.

Thanks for the help last week and here,

Terry

CaptMP

Terry Haywood .said:.........
It's just a cable-can I make one myself or buy one at a car parts store? I am
guessing there is nothing special about this distributor and it's the same
thing GM put in cars. My problem is I don't know what to ask for (can't ask for
a Volvo boat engine special tool at a car parts store). .."

Terry- for sure NAPA auto parts stores can cross reference at least some
marine/auto parts, I've done it. Start with the year (remember due to a lower
volume of finished units many boat engines might be a year or two older than
the hull, i.e. was sitting in a warehouse) and cubic inch and whether fuel
injected or carb, etc.
NEVER NEVER use auto electrical (starter, etc) or fuel (carb, fuel pumps etc)
parts in a marine application due to fire/explosion concerns.
Good luck
Mike

JJ

Having a merc I have not seen this tool. Is the special tool just a jumper
to tell the electronic advance not to engage? If so you might be able to
make one. I can't see how moving the distributor around will 'damage' the
electronics though. You don't have a computer controller ignition do you?
You can also look up the spec for total advance and if your balancer has
enough marks set it there. I added marks to my balancer for every 5 deg. up
through 30. Just wide the engine up a little past where total advance is
supposed to have engaged and then check it with the light.

Terry Haywood wrote in message

[...]

Terry Haywood

The tool is a jumper. It is discussed briefly at
http://www.marinemechanic.com/volvo/sb-34-2-5.htm

In my Seloc Tune Up and Repair Manual for Volvo Pentas it says the
connector is required to shunt the electronic spark advance circuit
within the electronic module while initial timing is being set. It
also says:

CAUTION
If an attempt is made to set initial timing without Tool No. 885163-6
installed, such action will damage the electronic module.

And later, during the step-by-step procedure just before adjusting the
timing:
The engine must be running when connecting the alligator terminal of
the special tool to a +12VDC source. If the alligator terminals are
not connected, the ignition system electronics may be damaged.

So my repair manual is pretty clear that I'm going to mess up the
distributor electronics if I try to set the timing without the magic
tool. I was hoping this is the same distributor that is found on all
GM 4.3L engines and therefore the tool would be widely available.

I'll go by a parts store and ask. I'm not real optimistic but have
nothing to lose.

Thanks for the reply,

Terry

On Sat, 22 May 2004 13:35:51 GMT, "JJ" wrote:

Having a merc I have not seen this tool. Is the special tool just a jumper
to tell the electronic advance not to engage? If so you might be able to
make one. I can't see how moving the distributor around will 'damage' the
electronics though. You don't have a computer controller ignition do you?
You can also look up the spec for total advance and if your balancer has
enough marks set it there. I added marks to my balancer for every 5 deg. up
through 30. Just wide the engine up a little past where total advance is
supposed to have engaged and then check it with the light.

Terry Haywood wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Richard Sargent

Terry,
I am looking for the same tool with much frustration. NAPA doesn't
know anything about it and my dealer is no help. If you find one would
you let me know. The only thing I have found is through
Sterndrives.com but they won't answer their phone or e-mail.

Thanks
Rich

Rich Sargent

Thanks Bill, I ordered one from them yesterday. Way too much work for
a $10 part. Rich
perchjerker

Terry-

I have been looking high and low for info on this jumper.

Would you mind taking an ohm meter and find out which jumper goes where so
I can make one? I would really appreciate it.

thanks

JamesgangNC

If you have a manual that has the total advance spec you could set it that
way too. I actually prefer the total advance setting because that is wht
you are really after.

lkaboutboats.com...