Default Chartering in Newport RI

Wayne.B wrote:
On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 23:42:23 GMT, "NE Sailboat"
wrote:

There must be a reason so many boats are cruising the coast in summer.

Ya think it might be because the weather is really nice? The days are warm,
and the daylight is long? Ya think?

That's part of it. The other part is that the kids are on summer
vacation and so are the parents. Early September is usually better
than August.

My experience is that September is usually quite pleasant except for a
bad day or two here and there. October and November get progressively
more iffy but can be really nice at times.

I would agree that early September is a good time for cruising New
England, both Maine and southern areas. Before our kid started
school, we arranged our vacations to start at Labor Day. However,
along with some great cruising, our logs are filled with vacations cut
short because of threats of bad weather. I can't recall even taking
an overnight after Columbus Day. Southern MA and RI in particular
gets brushed by hurricanes often in the fall. Usually its not too bad
for owners who have a bit of freedom as to when they cruise, but a
charterer has to put money down in advance and take what comes.

Of course, this may be a moot question - I'd be a bit surprised if any
of the charter companies are offering boats that late in the season.