BoatBanter.com

-   -   Chartering in Newport RI (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/73907-chartering-newport-ri.html)

windsurfgr September 12th 06 10:44 PM

Chartering in Newport RI

Can anyone recommend a bareboat charter company in Newport RI? Want to
charter in October.

NE Sailboat December 17th 06 03:51 AM

Chartering in Newport RI

October?

oups.com...

NE Sailboat December 17th 06 04:28 PM

Chartering in Newport RI

Charlie ,, have you ever sailed in that area in October? The days are very
short, it gets cold at night, and being fall there is a good chance of
stormy weather. In fact, this past October we had the big storm that was
like a hurricane. Many boats torn from their moorings.

While it can be nice if the weather ( Indian Summer ) is good, I wouldn't
want to bet an expensive vacation on it.

=====================

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 03:51:49 GMT, "NE Sailboat"
wrote:

October?

October in that area is generally great sailing conditions.

CWM

groups.com...

Roger Long December 17th 06 06:27 PM

Chartering in Newport RI

NE Sailboat wrote:

While it can be nice if the weather ( Indian Summer ) is good, I
wouldn't want to bet an expensive vacation on it.

Aside from being cool, it's probably a better bet and ultimately safer than
betting against the summer thunderstorms (which can kill you even if you do
everything right) and fog. One of the best cruises I ever had was from
Rockland to Pleasant Bay, Maine and back in the middle of October. We did
60 miles in 1/8 mile visibility on the last day (before GPS and no Loran) to
get the boat back to its home mooring in time for a hurricane and secured
the boat just half an hour after the wind increased suddenly from light to
35 - 40 knots. Aside from that, we had great weather. The hurricane could
easily have come in August.

The last two weeks of September and the first two of October have always
been the best weather window to plan on here in Maine and some of the most
pleasant cruising weather if you don't consider sitting in a bathing suit
and indispensable part of cruising. The past couple of years have varied
from the usual patterns but the weather seems to be going crazy now year
round. I would still bet more confidently on fall than summer for a good
week.

--
Roger Long

scott December 17th 06 09:52 PM

Chartering in Newport RI

I agree with Roger and Charlie -- Three years ago we took Itchen from the
Chesapeake up North (down East?) to Deer I. in late July - early August and
then back home from Yarmouth/Royal River in early-mid October. The Long
Island Sound to Cape Cod Canal segment in July was memorable for crowded
(really really crowded) anchorages, thick morning fog and bouncing around in
weekend warrior powerboat wakes. Block Island's Great Salt Pond was
memorably parked-up, with a boisterous and friendly party-scene.

Coming back in October was like stepping back thirty or forty years. In
Hadley Harbor we were the only transient boat and even Newport had a dozen
or two unoccupied moorings. With modern weather forecasting it was easy to
wait-out a couple of nasty frontal passages and then have nice fast reaches
and a memorable crystal-clear starry night run from Newport to Mamaroneck.

The only caveat in planning to charter that time of year would be the
impossibility of knowing for sure that a one week charter would coincide
with mostly nice weather. October (and some years even November) is a time
of year for relaxed cruising-mode on a schedule which can adapt to bad
weather by laying-over for a day or two in an anchorage or marina dock
somewhere that you'd enjoy exploring on foot! Lot's to see and do between
Newport and Bristol and Providence if the weather is uncooperative.

Scott Odell

"Roger Long" wrote in message
NE Sailboat wrote:

While it can be nice if the weather ( Indian Summer ) is good, I
wouldn't want to bet an expensive vacation on it.

Aside from being cool, it's probably a better bet and ultimately safer
than betting against the summer thunderstorms (which can kill you even if
you do everything right) and fog. SNIP The hurricane could easily have
come in August.

The last two weeks of September and the first two of October have always
been the best weather window to plan on here in Maine SNIP

NE Sailboat December 17th 06 11:42 PM

Chartering in Newport RI

"With modern weather forecasting it was easy to
wait-out a couple of nasty frontal passages and then have nice fast reaches
"

The poster is talking about a "charter". Most charters are one or two
weeks.
Let's just say one week. Thousands of dollars to "wait-out a couple of
nasty ... "

Sure, we get fog in summer. Sure, there can be a lack of wind. Sure, the
harbors are busy.

There must be a reason so many boats are cruising the coast in summer.

Ya think it might be because the weather is really nice? The days are warm,
and the daylight is long? Ya think?

====================

Roger Long December 18th 06 12:03 AM

Chartering in Newport RI

Kids are out of school and bosses and everyone else expects you to take
vacation at that time. Ya think?

--
Roger Long

NE Sailboat December 18th 06 02:40 AM

Chartering in Newport RI

Roger ,,, know when to fold.

=========================

Wayne.B December 18th 06 03:36 AM

Chartering in Newport RI

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 23:42:23 GMT, "NE Sailboat"
wrote:

There must be a reason so many boats are cruising the coast in summer.

Ya think it might be because the weather is really nice? The days are warm,
and the daylight is long? Ya think?

That's part of it. The other part is that the kids are on summer
vacation and so are the parents. Early September is usually better
than August.

My experience is that September is usually quite pleasant except for a
bad day or two here and there. October and November get progressively
more iffy but can be really nice at times.

NE Sailboat December 18th 06 04:13 PM

Chartering in Newport RI

Wayne ,, I agree with you 100%. October can be beautiful. But .. and this
is the subject of the posting .. we are talking about Chartering a boat in
October. My thought is, this would be taking a big chance as the weather
might be cold, etc. And then the Charter poster would be losing lots of
money.

I am not disagreeing with those who say sailing in the fall can be
wonderful.

But there is much more of a chance that the weather will be bad, especially
when thinking of chartering a boat for a week.

======