Tony P

Default Cheapest place in the world?

You'll find lots of cheap boats in Guatemala and Honduras. Many people
cruise down from Florida/Gulf areas
to this area and decide that they don't want to beat their way eastward

and just sell their boats.
-- Geoff

Where, or how, might one start a search for sites, or marinas in those
locations? I've only found one dealer on the web in Guatemala, (on another
newsgroup), and have tried everything I could think of to find others. I'm
not all that "net savy", I expect, but have tried until the frustration
factor sent me back to my armchair with a headache. I'm would sort of like
to look in that direction, as well...

Thanks from a newby

"Daniel Thompson" wrote in message
If one were in the market for a 5 to 10 year old 32 foot yacht: would
there be a specific place in the world where one might travel to, to
secure an absolute bargain?

Thanks in Advance.

---

Tony P

Does anyone know how one might find any brokers or marinas in Guatemala or
Honduras? I am pretty new to the web/newsgroup world, and have tried to
find some way to look up things in those areas, but to no avail. I have
only found one, in Guatemala, from the boats for sale newsgroup. I expect
it is just my inexperiance, and hope the group may offer some pointers on
how to navigate around the web when looking for boats in various locations.
Thanks for your collective time, and thanks for all the insight that is
offered here.

"Geoffrey W. Schultz" wrote in message
. 77.26...
"jlrogers" wrote in
y.com:

Check any port 750 to 1,000 miles south of the US.

Check out rec.boats.marketplace. You'll find lots of cheap boats in
Guatemala and Honduras. Many people cruise down from Florida/Gulf areas
to this area and decide that they don't want to beat their way eastward
and just sell their boats.

-- Geoff

"Daniel Thompson" wrote in message
If one were in the market for a 5 to 10 year old 32 foot yacht: would
there be a specific place in the world where one might travel to, to
secure an absolute bargain?

Thanks in Advance.

---

Dennis O'Connor

In that part of the world, be sure you are wearing your chastity belt - and
do not put down one penny in advance... Get an independent survey from
someone known to this group, or the general boating lists, even if you have
to fly him in from the USA/Canada (best, actually)... And be sure you have
at least two large, ugly looking, "crew" with you when you go to pay for the
boat and take possession... Otherwise, you WILL lose your virginity....

"Tony P" wrote in message
thlink.net...
[...]

DSK

"Tony P" wrote...
Does anyone know how one might find any brokers or marinas in Guatemala or
Honduras?

IMHO this is one of the "urban legends" of the sailing/cruising world: boats for
sale very very cheap in some "downwind port." Sure, any 'Murrican selling his
boat in such a location is likely to be asking a price reflecting urgency, if
not distress, but ask yourself this.... is the distress likely to be something
about the boat or it's condition? Is the cost of traveling to this foreign
place, and living there for the duration it would take to really examine the
boat & all it's equipment carefully, and bringing the boat back to your home
port, greater than the difference between this boats ask price & local market
value? If the boat is registered in a different country, or even US registered
but not up to date, what is it going to cost to get the papers in order? There
are certain to be unknown costs (local taxes and/or mordida) associated with
buying a boat in a totally unfamiliar environment, so how much risk are you
willing to take?

It strikes me that these sorts of bargains are likely to turn out very expensive
in the end.

Dennis O'Connor wrote:
In that part of the world, be sure you are wearing your chastity belt - and
do not put down one penny in advance... Get an independent survey from
someone known to this group, or the general boating lists, even if you have
to fly him in from the USA/Canada (best, actually)... And be sure you have
at least two large, ugly looking, "crew" with you when you go to pay for the
boat and take possession... Otherwise, you WILL lose your virginity....

Hey, it's supposed to be an adventure, right?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King