posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.energy.renewable,alt.survival,rec.boats.cruising

Default Diesel powered bike, will run on biodiesel

Larry:
I don't own, or sell these, and I don't know anybody that has one.
I did not know that there is such a problem with all centrifugal
clutches, but if there is a problem that you know of, would it not
be prudent to carry a spare or two? Kind of save you some time
for crusing bar to bar, right?

"Larry" wrote in message
"Harbin Osteen" wrote in
:

Yea Larry, if you are always tied to a dock in the US, you would
not
need somthing
like this, and not being street legal would be revelant, but if you
are a long range
cruiser, say crusising Thailand, and your trawler battaries went to
crap, and you had
to pack new ones back to the boat, I would find this bike a lot more
useful than a
electric scooter, and you could jumper the new boat battires to your
scooter, and
it's still not going to make it back.
You may not have a use for this bike, but I posted this here
because
some
might find the info useful.

So, to answer my question, how many miles DOES it get to a centrifugal
clutch? How many dealers are there in Thailand to fix it while I'm
crusing
around from bar to bar? Where do I get parts in the US, even, tractor
dealers??...(c;

Oh, by the way, are YOU involved selling this bike?......

--
There's amazing intelligence in the Universe.
You can tell because none of them ever called Earth.

posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.energy.renewable,alt.survival,rec.boats.cruising

Snip.....

Biodiesel is just replacing one type of emission with another - and it
takes a lot of power to harvest/process the stuff. For these types of
purposes, there is an ancient form of power, called human power.

Snip....

Yes, it does replace one emmission with another, but it is at least
a closed carbon cycle. You take up carbon when you grow the
crop (and my prefered crop is alge, which will double in 24 to
48 hours) and relese it when burned in combustion.
Human power is great, but not for everything, just as the
diesel bike is not good for everything, but fills a nitch that
could be useful to some.

--

SeeYaa Harbin Osteen KG6URO

!sdohtem noitpyrcne devorppa-tnemnrevog troppus I
-

posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.energy.renewable,alt.survival,rec.boats.cruising

Dale Eastman wrote:

... how much horsepower (fuel consumed) to cover the 176 miles?

Take it away Nick.

Foist, the question might be "how many horsepower-HOURS" of energy?"

And how much force times 176 miles?

Nick

David J. Hughes wrote:

Dale Eastman wrote:

wrote:

Biodiesel is just replacing one type of emission with another - and it
takes a lot of power to harvest/process the stuff.

One square mile is 640 acres.
One square mile is 5280 feet by 5280 feet.
A tractor pulling a 30 foot wide disc plow will requi

5280/30 = 176 passes. That's 176 linear miles to plow the entire 640
acres.

Now the next question is, how much horsepower (fuel consumed) to cover
the 176 miles?

And then there are the herbicide/pesticide/fertilizer/harvest passes
also.

Take it away Nick.

300 gallons biodiesel produced per acre.
300 time 640 = 19200 gallons.

Tractor pulling 30' disc plow get @ 4 miles peer gallon
4 times 176 = 704 gallons

19200 over 704 = 27.3
or
704 over 19200 = 4%

Worst case (the disk plowing will have the highest power requirement)
is 5 times over the field or 5 times 704 gallons = 3520 gallons
or 18%. Should do much better though.

Per BP annual energy report:

Million barrels per day:
Gasolines 9.436
Middle distillates 6.087
Fuel oil .795
Others 4.199
Total USA 20.517
http://www.bp.com/productlanding.do?...tentId=7017990

9.436 million barrels times 42 gallons / barrel divided by (19200-704)
gallons yield per square mile = approximately 21,427 square miles to
meet our transportation demand.

Have you got a link to support that 300 gallons per acre?

The following numbers are gallons per acre.

macadamia nuts 240
brazil nuts 255
avocado 282
coconut 287
oil palm 635
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_yield.html

The oil palm tree is a tropical plant which commonly grows in warm
climates at altitudes of less than 1,600 feet above sea level. There
is one species, the Noli or Elaeis oleifera (H.B.K) Cortes which is
native of America; another species is Elaeis guineensis Jacq. which
originates from the Gulf of Guinea in West Africa (hence its
scientific name) and better known as the African oil palm.
http://www.fedepalma.org/oil_palm.htm

Palm Oil, an ingredient found in many everyday products, is
contributing to the rapid destruction of rainforests. Orangutan
habitat in Sumatra and Borneo is being clear-felled at an alarming
rate for conversion to oil palm plantations. The orangutan, perilously
close to extinction, is suffering profoundly as a result.
http://www.safepalmoil.org/

posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.energy.renewable,alt.survival,rec.boats.cruising

Oil yields are...?

See my other post.

Harbin Osteen wrote:

Grow alge, no tractor required.

"Dale Eastman" wrote in message
link.net...

wrote:

Biodiesel is just replacing one type of emission with another - and it
takes a lot of power to harvest/process the stuff.

One square mile is 640 acres.
One square mile is 5280 feet by 5280 feet.
A tractor pulling a 30 foot wide disc plow will requi

5280/30 = 176 passes. That's 176 linear miles to plow the entire 640
acres.

Now the next question is, how much horsepower (fuel consumed) to cover the
176 miles?

And then there are the herbicide/pesticide/fertilizer/harvest passes also.

Take it away Nick.

--
Anybody answering this post consents to having their replies posted on
my website.

Marine algae derived enzymes as diesel catalysts.......... [email protected] General 1 May 23rd 06 05:15 AM
FS 6.5KW diesel genset $1000 in St. Petersburg, FL Skip Gundlach Marketplace 1 July 31st 05 04:58 AM
How does work diesel engine.? zee-qi General 19 July 8th 05 01:12 PM
The Diesel Engine winder General 3 January 23rd 05 02:59 PM
Diesel outboard? Jack Rye Cruising 4 August 28th 03 08:34 PM