zee-qi

Default How does work diesel engine.?

hi people.
i would ask you something.Who can explain me how does work diesel
engine.?and what kind of system it need to work normally.
...thx for your ansver...

K. Smith

zee-qi wrote:
hi people.
i would ask you something.Who can explain me how does work diesel
engine.?and what kind of system it need to work normally.
..thx for your ansver...

They use diesel fuel which has a very low auto ignition temp (about
200-210C) so if a "vapour" of diesel sees 200C it auto ignites without a
spark.

Petrol gasolene has a higher auto ignition temp (250-280C) so it needs
an electric spark to ignite it.

The "system" needed is a very high pressure pump to inject the diesel
into the cyl at the right time, & create a very fine atomisation so it
may auto ignite becasue the air inside the cyl is above 200C.

Unlike a petrol gasolene engine a diesel increases power by increasing
the effect time the diesl is being injected & auto ignited, so usually
diesels can generate more torque per unit of fuel burnt becasue the burn
can continue even after the piston commences to retreat down the cyl.

Of course if you're wondering where your union retirement money went,
have a look at what the union the liar Krause works for pays it's own!!!
I also suspect the phantom boat ownership is hiding the fact that the
union thinks it's just PR buying toys with other peoples' money, after
all they have a corp jet

We have first-class benefits, including a top-of-the-line health
insurance plan, a non-contributory defined-benefit pension plan, a
401k,
and a life insurance policy equal to annual salary. We contribute a
share of profits to the 401k on behalf of the employee. Our

employees
pay $4.50 for generic prescriptions and $8.00 for non-generics, but
that's going up next year to $10 and $15. New employees get two

weeks
vacation the first year, and that goes to three weeks the third
year. In
addition, we have 12 paid holidays and we shut down from noon on
Christmas eve to the day after New Year's Day. We also provide 20
days
of paid sick leave a year. And we have an outside company
administering
pre-tax flexible bennies for our employees.
Our fringe benefit package follows the trade union model,

except, of
course, for the profit contributions to 401k's. Trade unions are
not-for-profit enterprises.
How do these compare to the bennies at your shop?

Paid? Every year? I call "bull****". With 3 weeks vacation, 12

paid
holidays, and 20 paid sick days that's 47 *paid* days off every
year. Are
they hourly employees? For a "small business", that's the road to
bankruptcy.

Boy...and you had me going there for a minute.

Not quite so simple, though you are trying hard to make it so. Our
business is up because we're on the cusp of an election year. Our
business always goes up in a major election year.
You could say we're going to be doing very well in 2004 because
Bush is
such a total failure.

The 20 paid sick days aren't part of the "paid" days off unless

those
days are used. None of our people abuses sick leave. In fact, no
one as
yet has even come close to using 20 sick days in one year. They're
there
in case they're needed.

Oh, I forgot. We also provide everyone with LTD.

The company provides an insurance plan that pays 50% of an

employe's
salary for Long Term Disability. Employes have the option of
purchasing
an additional 16.66%, bringing their total to 66.66%. The basic
benefit
maximum is $4,000 per month. With the buy up, the limit is
increased to
$10,000 per month.

K. Smith wrote:
zee-qi wrote:
hi people.
i would ask you something.Who can explain me how does work diesel
engine.?and what kind of system it need to work normally.
..thx for your ansver...

They use diesel fuel which has a very low auto ignition temp (about
200-210C) so if a "vapour" of diesel sees 200C it auto ignites without a
spark.

Petrol gasolene has a higher auto ignition temp (250-280C) so it needs
an electric spark to ignite it.

Are you sure you're explaining that correctly?

Wouldn't research into the temperature of the air charge in a
compressed diesel cylinder show that it is more than hot enough to
ignite gasoline? In fact, putting gasoline into a diesel engine can
destroy the engine because the gasoline is more volatile than diesel
fuel and tends to "explode" rather than burn in the cylinder. That's
always been one of the reasons that gasoline engines have compression
ratios of just about half a typical diesel, and that traditionally
gasoline has had to be doctored with "octane boosters" to burn more
evenly with the lower compression. Gasoline can "pre-ignite" (fire
without a spark) in a gasoline engine cylinder with a 10:1 compression
rating
so wouldn't it be reasonable to conclude it would be even more likely
to ignite
in the higher temperatures developed by about 20:1 compression.

In extremely cold weather, some diesel engine operators will mix small
amounts of gasoline with the diesel fuel in order to make the fuel more
combustible in a diesel engine. In that case, it's the gasoline that is
helping the diesel burn, not a case of more easily ignited diesel
assisting the more reluctant gasoline to burn as a result of
compression.

Maybe I'm reading your statement incorrectly, but if not there's a
chance you might want to clarify it a bit.

K. Smith wrote:
zee-qi wrote:
hi people.
i would ask you something.Who can explain me how does work diesel
engine.?and what kind of system it need to work normally.
..thx for your ansver...

They use diesel fuel which has a very low auto ignition temp (about
200-210C) so if a "vapour" of diesel sees 200C it auto ignites without a
spark.

PS. Isn't diesel fuel atomised, not vaporized, by the injectors?
(Could be the difference in terminology down under.)

In extremely cold weather, some diesel engine operators will mix small
amounts of gasoline with the diesel fuel in order to make the fuel more
combustible in a diesel engine. In that case, it's the gasoline that is
helping the diesel burn, not a case of more easily ignited diesel
assisting the more reluctant gasoline to burn as a result of
compression.

thats done to keep the diesel from turning into jello at low
temperatures. the cars i had could take up to 30% gas for that in the
winter.

Matt

*JimH*

On 1 Jul 2005 08:48:37 -0700, wrote:

K. Smith wrote:
zee-qi wrote:
hi people.
i would ask you something.Who can explain me how does work diesel
engine.?and what kind of system it need to work normally.
..thx for your ansver...

They use diesel fuel which has a very low auto ignition temp (about
200-210C) so if a "vapour" of diesel sees 200C it auto ignites without a
spark.

Petrol gasolene has a higher auto ignition temp (250-280C) so it needs
an electric spark to ignite it.

Are you sure you're explaining that correctly?

I wondered the same thing - I just read what Karen wrote.

It's my understanding that the auto-ignition point isn't relevant with
gas engines because it doesn't rely on compression for ignition - it
relies on a spark. Which, at least to my mind, would indicate gas
would have a low flashpoint and a high auto ignition temperature.
Conversely, a diesel has a high flash point and a low auto ignition
temperature which is why the compression is high.

Also, it's my understanding that the reason some gas engines have high
compression ratios is more for power production.

Or am I wrong?

Gasoline:
Flash Point: -40 degrees (Estimated)
Autoignition Temperatu 480 degrees F
Flammable Limits In Air: UEL: 7.1% - LEL: 1.3%

http://www.brownoil.com/msdsgasoline.htm

Diesel Fuel:
Flash Point: 100 degrees F PM (minimum)
Autoignition Temperatu 494 degrees F
Flammable Limits In Air: UEL: 5% - LEL: 0.7%

http://www.brownoil.com/msdsdiesel.htm

Gasoline is by far more volitile, especially when looking at the flash
point.

I have always understood that higher compression ratios in a gasoline
engine were one of the approaches to get higher HP, yes. Interestingly
enough, turbo charged gas engines are often set up with lower
compression ratios than their NA counterparts- but due to the tubo
boost can still provide more power.

I agree that it might have been more accurate to say that gasoline
engines rely on spark, rather than "require" spark for combustion. If
one were to inject gasoline into a cylinder compressed as much as air
is compressed in a diesel cylinder, it's my impression that it would
ignite very easily without a spark. Too easily, in fact.