George Adamovich

Default SOS Merc. Alpha Drive

Hi all,
I fixed my drive problem and wanted to let you know how I handled it. I
removed the pistons and took them apart. I found that the upper part of
the piston was dry most likely because I stored it over the winter in the up
position. I removed the old oil and sprayed it well with a lubricant. That
did not solve the whole problem. The main thing was to free the piston.
After bending two pipe clamps trying to budge it, I used my boat lift and a
4x4 to press it. Changed the seals and am back in business. The pistons
are more or less self bleeding but I had to run the boat and depress the
down switch to really get it working right.
Thank to all who offered help.
George
"William Nitz" wrote in message
om...
Probably not air, but a bad relay switch. But to get it down all you need
is a 3/8 wrench and a bowl. Place bowl under connection, loosen and push
down on outdrive. bowl will catch fluid and retighten.....then to shop.

If
you have a stern trim switch, look there........e

"George Adamovich" wrote in message
et...
Hello all,
Need help getting started. My Merc Alpha drive is in the up position

and
can't get it down. Drive motor runs. I suspect air in the lines but

don't
know the procedure to bleed them.
Any help appreciated.
George

Merc Alpha One cooling ? Dean General 6 July 15th 04 03:04 AM
Merc BIII Drive Oil Resevoir Bottle "Foamy" After Long Run? Slambram General 0 June 9th 04 02:46 PM
FS Mercruiser Engine and stern Drive Alpha kt General 0 May 4th 04 11:37 AM
alpha drive shift cable replacement mike hicks General 10 April 23rd 04 03:55 PM
Ad: $1,195 for Complete New Merc Alpha One Drives gpickren General 6 December 24th 03 09:16 PM