Default Statutory Equipment for 15m UK Flagged Yacht

I am trying to ascertain what statutory equipment is required on a UK
flagged yacht when deep ocean sailing. So far I have only found 5 UK
Parliament Statutory Instruments that affect a 15m pleasure vessel -
SOLAS Ch 5 under SI 2002 No 1473, Lifesaving Appliances SI 1999 No
2721, Firefighting Appliances under SI 1998 No 1998 No 1011, Collision
Regs under SI 1996 No 75 and Pollution under SI 1998 No 1377. Failure
to comply with these regs could result in prosecution. If there any
other statutory requirements for equipment, then I'd be interested to
know.

The statutory requirements do not even include a radio.

There are of course long lists of recommended equipment, which is
another matter, and an insurance company may take a dim view if various
items are not onboard.

Thanks.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

To start the ball rolling . . .

You've just discovered why the Red Ensign is used so much in the
Mediterranean as a flag of convenience for pleasure yachts. There
are no statutory equipment rules apart from those specified in
colregs (lights, shapes and sound signal provisions). Some
equipments, if fitted, have to meet statutory requirements. I
guess that's where firefighting/lifesaving/radio statutes come in.

If, however, your yacht was being used for charter, there are a
lot of detailed requirements, though I don't know whether this is
enforced through statute or through administrative procedures -
nor how it is policed.

On the matter of policing - only the country of origin defines
what the yacht should carry in international waters. A few years
back New Zealand tried to impose their own statutory requirements
on all vessels visiting their waters. After tortuous legal battles
their imposition was declared illegal - establishing clearly that
only the flag country has that right.
--
JimB
http://www.jimbaerselman.f2s.com/

There are some ISO and CEN standards for various types of yachts (protected
waters, coastal, offshore and ocean going) that are required to be met
before a yacht can be sold in the EEC. I tried to read through them once.
Very complex and probably written by some lawyer in Brussels who never saw a
yacht.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"News f2s" wrote in message

oups.com...

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
There are some ISO and CEN standards for various types of yachts
(protected waters, coastal, offshore and ocean going) that are
required to be met before a yacht can be sold in the EEC. I
tried to read through them once. Very complex and probably
written by some lawyer in Brussels who never saw a yacht.

Before a *new* yacht can be sold in EU it needs a CE rating which
(broadly) states the conditions it is suitable for use in. This
involves obtaining a certificate, which in turn requires stability
tests etc etc. I'm no expert, but I believe the same procedure
applies if anyone wished to import a non-EU built boat (I believe,
second hand as well).

I don't think this certification system says much about equipment
to be carried - though it does say things like 'all boats muct be
sold with comprehensive manuals describing the operation of the
vessel and all the items of equipment fitted'.

Most of the ideas were proposed by the established boat
manufacturers in Europe, then written into law by the EU at
Brussels. My opinion is that the legislation was driven to protect
the big builders against competition from imports and small
manufacturers . . .

None of this should affect the OP.
--
JimB
http://www.jimbaerselman.f2s.com/
Describing some Greek and Spanish cruising areas

To start the ball rolling . . .

You've just discovered why the Red Ensign is used so much in the
Mediterranean as a flag of convenience for pleasure yachts. There
are no statutory equipment rules apart from those specified in
colregs (lights, shapes and sound signal provisions). Some
equipments, if fitted, have to meet statutory requirements. I
guess that's where firefighting/lifesaving/radio statutes come in.

If, however, your yacht was being used for charter, there are a
lot of detailed requirements, though I don't know whether this is
enforced through statute or through administrative procedures -
nor how it is policed.

Snip
The UK Yacht Charter Association has standards for equipment required for
the different classifications. I believe that for world-wide use the class
is "A".

There is currently no completed website describing the equipment
requirements for the different classes, so it would be necessary to contact
the Association by phone and obtain literature.

The Association requires an annual inspection by an approved surveyor in
order to maintain membership in the class to which the vessel is registered.
The Association has recently been incorporated into the MLA (Marine Leisure
Association), phone 0044 (0)23 8029 3822.

Yacht charter Croatia [email protected] Cruising 1 February 23rd 14 02:32 PM
Deep Blue Yacht Supply, Inc. unveils online storefront [email protected] Cruising 5 June 6th 06 04:48 AM
HELP! Stain on seats!! SARAH General 12 June 5th 06 07:13 PM
Yacht Charter Vancouver - Five Star Yacht Charters Todd Zuccolo Cruising 0 April 17th 05 11:58 AM
Update on Marina Damage -- FL Coasts anchorlt Cruising 0 September 24th 04 08:03 PM