Default Dangerous Maga-yacht in Maine

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 14:59:32 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

Yeah, I could have called him on the radio but the rules of the road
were written to make it possible to deal with something this simple
without having to yack and negotiate on the air. Having to make a
radio call in a case like this means someone already isn't observing
the rules.

Let me get this straight, you didn't use the radio because you
shouldn't have to if some one is following the rules, but at the same
time you state they weren't following the rules and you still didn't
use the radio.

So at what point would you use your hand held radio? After they had
run you over to call for help?

What part of Roger's explanation did you miss?

The strong winds?

The fact that he was operating single handed?

The fact that he had the right of way but was bullied into giving it
up?

Just exactly when is a singlehanded sailor in a strong wind expected to
drop the sheet or the steering apparatus to pick up, turn on, tune in
the correct channel, and broadcast a radio call on a handheld radio?
When some rich asshole in a big yacht is about to run him over, I
guess.

That is totally ignorant. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Why don't you do a google search and look up some of Roger's previous
postings? He isn't exactly a rookie...

wrote:

Yeah, I could have called him on the radio but the rules of the road
were written to make it possible to deal with something this simple
without having to yack and negotiate on the air. Having to make a
radio call in a case like this means someone already isn't observing
the rules.

Let me get this straight, you didn't use the radio because you
shouldn't have to if some one is following the rules, but at the same
time you state they weren't following the rules and you still didn't
use the radio.

So at what point would you use your hand held radio? After they had
run you over to call for help?

BZZZZZTT - Wrong Answer!!!!

The number one concern is to safely operate the boat and not get run
over by an idiot operating a much bigger boat. Singlehanding in a
strong wind near shore doesn't allow the luxury of screwing around with
a handheld radio and trying to chat up the the yacht operator.

Do any of you "Should'a called him on the radio" folks have ANY
experience singlehanding a 32' sailboat? It seems really obvious to me
that the answer is NO. Give it a try sometime and you might start
posting from a position of experience.

If Roger had not had a handheld radio, would he still be "wrong" to
expect a professional yacht captain to know and obey the rules of the
road? Or do you think that since he didn't have a fixed VHF radio, a
Bluetooth headset/microphone for it, a VOX mike, and an autopilot, he
clearly is under equipped? Give me a break. The yacht operator needs
to have a unpleasant chat with the Coast Guard and some remedial
training.

Roger didn't get run over and lived to post about it. We should all be
thankful that the event turned out as well as it did.

What happened to the guy that says he knows the yacht captain? What did
the yacht captain say?

I pulled this passage from rec.aviation.homebuilt. There was a
fatality at Oshkosh this year. A Grumman TBM Avenger ran over an RV6
and killed the person in the right seat.

Begin quoted text

I'm prejudiced. Of course I'm prejudiced. In 5000+ flight hours, I've
never come as close to a midair as I did at Oshkosh 1999. Oshkosh
Tower: "BlueOnBlue Cessna, number three for runway 27. Ercoupe put it
on the numbers. Flight of three T6s, cross over runway 27, right
downwind for runway 27, caution the Cessna at the gravel pit."

(Warbird flight leader) "OK fellers, let's show them what a warbird
arrival is like."

The Cessna is looking, looking, and turns downwind. The copilot
screams, "Oh, my God " and the pilot turns hard left, only to see two
wings perhaps fifty feet below. Tower tells warbirds that they nearly
had a midair with a Cessna. Warbird flight leader, "Then tell tell the
little b@$+@rd to get out of our way."

end quoted text

In my opinion, the attitude of the the warbird flight leader mirrors
the attitude of the yacht operator.

YMMV

Richard wrote:
If there is any doubt concerning the actions of the other yacht, you should
definitely call them on the radio.

oups.com...

wrote:
What part of Roger's explanation did you miss?

The strong winds?

Not an excuse.

The fact that he was operating single handed?

Not an excuse.

The fact that he had the right of way but was bullied into giving it
up?

Not certain.

Just exactly when is a singlehanded sailor in a strong wind expected to
drop the sheet or the steering apparatus to pick up, turn on, tune in
the correct channel, and broadcast a radio call on a handheld radio?
When some rich asshole in a big yacht is about to run him over, I
guess.

No one on a 30 foot keel boat has the sheets in hand. The point of a
handheld radio is you can use it at the helm. If you can't, don't sail
single handed! There is also the "staying ahead of the boat" business.
This didn't happen at closing speeds of 100 mph. Roger was probably
doing all of 5 knots (500 yards every 6 minutes) and the other
boat.....who knows. Pick a max closing speed of 20 knots that is still
only 2 miles every 6 minutes. Lots of time to make a quick call on a
handy radio.

That is totally ignorant. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Why don't you do a google search and look up some of Roger's previous
postings? He isn't exactly a rookie...

Designing boats doesn't necessarily mean a great shiphandler.
People who design airplanes aren't necessarily good pilots.

--

Roger Long

"Wayne.B" wrote

Sailing single handed in a strong breeze does not excuse anyone from
seamanlike obligations or responsibilities

Why is there no comment about being 228 feet long and owned by someone
richer than God not excusing an operator from seamanlike obligations
or responsibilities?

(the radio) could/should have been readily at hand and turned on

The radio is a back up. Contact is not necessary for the rules of the
road to be in force. Radio break, not all boats have radios,
operating a vessel in this situation with the expectation that you
don't have to observe the rules of the road unless you get a radio
call is neither seamanlike nor responsible.

, sail could/should have been shortened to a more managable level,
an
autopilot could/should be available when single or short handing.

Come on, that's like saying all powerboats should be operated slower
because it will give everyone more time to react to crossing
situations. My vessel was quite managable. It's not that I couldn't
get the radio but that it was easier to simply run off. I ended up
closer to Ram Island than I would have liked but I still cleared it.

You have some dangerous preconceptions.

Look, this is not about me. I handled it smoothly and easily. I
expect this kind of "blind on autopilot" behavior from fishing
vessels. Their crews are dead tired and their world is crumbling
around them as they try to keep up with mortgages. I also expect it
from large vessels that I selfishly don't want dodging every small
yacht among the obstructions of Maine, even if they aren't in the
channel.

My post was about the fact that a no expense spared vessel, presumably
with crew of similar caliber to the paint job, whose Captain and crew
had just spent two weeks tied to the dock in Portland's most luxurious
spot, could behave this way with no way of assessing skill level,
radio functioning (or even existence), etc. aboard my vessel. The
rules of the road don't require them to think about these things, they
simply require them to punch 2 -3 degrees into the autopilot for five
minutes at the appropriate time and then back. There is nothing in
the rules of the road that says they don't have to do this unless
there is radio contact.

If I had been closely obstructed by the shore or had a sheet jammed in
a winch, I certainly would have made a radio call. I could have done
it but it was easier to just divert it a way that made it obvious I
was going to keep clear. I handled it properly and differently than
you might have but THAT'S NOT THE DAMN POINT!