Default Legalities of ust cruising around

Hi all,

I have a small pocket cruiser I'm seriously looking at, and I'm just
wondering if I am completely dreaming, in thinking I will be able to
just sail around Europe, assuming I have the skills. The boat in
question is in the UK, and it would be nice to just ... Go wherever my
heart desires. I'm not rich, and I'm not a spectacular sailor (yet) I
have only crewed so far. But, assuming I had the technical ability,
what stands in my way? Do I need special insurance for every 'border' I
cross? The more research I do do, the less 'open' the 'open water'
seems. Will everything just be a constant battle with red tape? I would
like the avoid the life of everyone I know who owns a boat, that works
full time just to pour money into, and never gets out of the bay. My
job finishes in November.

n.

In article .com,
"Nick" wrote:

I have a small pocket cruiser I'm seriously looking at, and I'm just
wondering if I am completely dreaming, in thinking I will be able to
just sail around Europe, assuming I have the skills. The boat in
question is in the UK, and it would be nice to just ... Go wherever
my heart desires. I'm not rich, and I'm not a spectacular sailor
(yet) I have only crewed so far. But, assuming I had the technical
ability, what stands in my way? Do I need special insurance for every
'border' I cross? The more research I do do, the less 'open' the
'open water' seems. Will everything just be a constant battle with
red tape? I would like the avoid the life of everyone I know who owns
a boat, that works full time just to pour money into, and never gets
out of the bay. My job finishes in November.

Read the various cruising logs of people who have done it. I'd start
looking for them at http://cruisenews.net/

You can probably do it. It'll be a bit more involved than you're
thinking, but if you take your time and stay reasonably near your
capabilities, it could be done.

Realize, too, that messing about the UK ain't a bad thing. No hurry.

--
Jere Lull