Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Capt. JG

Default modified figure 8 for MOB

I've seen and practiced this a few times with my students, but I was
wondering if someone has a reference to the procedure on the web?

The basic difference between the standard figure 8 (or quick turn) and the
modified version is that instead of immediately going on a beam reach, you
immediately go on a broad reach, then tack and head back to the MOB on a
close reach. The advantage seems to be that it's a more direct approach with
fewer points of sail to negotiate with an inexperienced crew. The slight
disadvantage is that you have less time to get it together, although you
could continue on the broad reach for a bit longer. We were very successful
using this method by taking the tack at about 3 boat lengths from the MOB on
the broad reach. That's not very far IMHO.

Clearly, if you have experienced crew, the condition warrants it, or there
are other factors, a host of other methods are available (e.g., LifeSling,
quick stop, while motoring). It also seems to me that this might be a safer
technique for ocean recoveries as well, rather than jibing (with the
LifeSling). You could still deploy the LS, but not jibe.

Comments?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com