David M. Hitchner

Default Charcoal Cooking

I am about to put a charcoal grill on my party barge. Any tips on what to
do with the charcoal after grilling? I do not want to leave them in the
grill while moving.

Thanks.

--
David M. Hitchner - K5DMH
Baton Rouge, LA

Baton Rouge Area Scanning
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-k5dmh

ID Tracker
http://bellsouthpwp.net/k/d/kd5eis/I.../IDTracker.htm

ASDS - Anti-Spam Defense System - Do not Auto-Reply
For replies, use my callsign @bellsouth.net.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity!

Rosalie B.

"David M. Hitchner" wrote:

I am about to put a charcoal grill on my party barge. Any tips on what to
do with the charcoal after grilling? I do not want to leave them in the
grill while moving.

Charcoal grilling on boats if forbidden in our marina because of the
fire hazard.. I'm not sure what to tell you about how to secure the
grill.

Not recommend, but I have seen many boaters dumping the charcoal over board.
(premium whiskey are filtered through charcoal) Without air charcoal will
stop burning. At one time, I had a grill with an air tight cover. Once I
was finish I use to close the air thigh lid and save the charcoal for the
next time. It work fine for me and I carried much less charcoal. With this
air tight lid you have to have a visual watch until its cool and no hot hash
is dropping on flammable substances. With propane you have to make sure
that it does not leak or you will not live to tell about it.

Check West Marine Magma Charcoal BBQ
Marine Kettle® Charcoal Grills
With this type you can close the lid and the charcoal will stop
burning and your can re- use the charcoal the next time.

"David M. Hitchner" wrote in message
. ..
I am about to put a charcoal grill on my party barge. Any tips on what to
do with the charcoal after grilling? I do not want to leave them in the
grill while moving.

Thanks.

--
David M. Hitchner - K5DMH
Baton Rouge, LA

Baton Rouge Area Scanning
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-k5dmh

ID Tracker
http://bellsouthpwp.net/k/d/kd5eis/I.../IDTracker.htm

ASDS - Anti-Spam Defense System - Do not Auto-Reply
For replies, use my callsign @bellsouth.net.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity!

Rosalie is correct not too many marina are allowing the use of propane or
solid fuel BBQ .

As an addendum to my last post I am adding the following:
My reply was solely indented for the disposal of use charcoal.
I myself have stop using BBQ on my sailboat for safety reason.
Some insurance companies are not tolerating use of BBQ on board boats of any
kind.
Many power boat are carrying close to 200 gallons of gasoline on board. All
is needed is something to cause a flash point in the presence of volatile
chemicals and an entire marina or anchorage can be wiped out.

[...]

Larry

wrote in
:

Not recommend, but I have seen many boaters dumping the charcoal over
board.

Being wood, I'd think they'd float and create an embarrassing mess,
wouldn't they?....especially if they scraped against your hull making a
black mark or that big bruiser WWF wrestler's new yacht on the other finger
pier...(c;

Richard J Kinch

(premium whiskey are filtered through charcoal)

No. That's activated charcoal. Entirely different item than the cooking
fuel, which is not activated, and which is full of clay and other binders
to make it into briquets.
Chris

I tried that: Ashes sink/dissolve, but unburned charcoal pieces float
and make an embarrassing mess.
Compressed (char?)coal pellets you can sometimes get might be heavier.

Chris

David M. Hitchner wrote:
I am about to put a charcoal grill on my party barge. Any tips on what to
do with the charcoal after grilling? I do not want to leave them in the
grill while moving.

Thanks.

--
David M. Hitchner - K5DMH
Baton Rouge, LA

Baton Rouge Area Scanning
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-k5dmh

ID Tracker
http://bellsouthpwp.net/k/d/kd5eis/I.../IDTracker.htm

ASDS - Anti-Spam Defense System - Do not Auto-Reply
For replies, use my callsign @bellsouth.net.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity!

Bob

David M. Hitchner wrote:
I am about to put a charcoal grill on my party barge. Any tips on what to
do with the charcoal after grilling? I do not want to leave them in the
grill while moving.

David M. Hitchner
Baton Rouge, LA

Hey yall:
Lets see. I lived in Amelia for a while before I moved out to
Patterson, LA.

So your grill is mostlikly a modified 30 or 55 gallon oil drum.
I'd do what everbody else does down there and just throw the stuff in
the water. Nobody else will care from what I have seen.

Bayou Bob

purple_stars

Bob wrote:
[snip]
So your grill is mostlikly a modified 30 or 55 gallon oil drum.
I'd do what everbody else does down there and just throw the stuff in
the water. Nobody else will care from what I have seen.

Bayou Bob

that's kind of what i was thinking when i read the question, toss it in
the water. as far as i know nobody has yet dared to claim that burnt
wood is an environmental hazard lol.