Jeff

Default Boaters defend free anchorage in Old Harbor, Block Island, RI

Mys Terry wrote:
On 1 Jun 2006 17:16:02 -0500, Dave wrote:

On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 15:29:18 GMT, Mys Terry
said:

It isn't so marked on the latest version of chart 13217.

I have chart 13217 right in front of me, and it is clearly marked as a
restricted area. Go fish, troll.

Well, just out of curiosity I pulled up the copy of 13217 I downloaded from
NOAA a couple of months ago. Not marked restricted. So unless you've got a
more recently updated 13217, that's simply another lie.

I just went and looked at the copy of 13217 NOAA has for download and it shows
the dashed black line marking the whole harbor as restricted, just as I
described it to you. You just proved that you don't know how to read a chart.
Big surprise, since you have been wrong on every other point.

So you're insisting that a "dashed black line" always means
restricted. Please, take that Power Squadron course - you really need it!
Jeff

Mys Terry wrote:
On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 19:34:38 -0400, Jeff wrote:

Mys Terry wrote:

It isn't so marked on the latest version of chart 13217.

I have chart 13217 right in front of me, and it is clearly marked as a
restricted area. Go fish, troll.

Well, just out of curiosity I pulled up the copy of 13217 I downloaded from
NOAA a couple of months ago. Not marked restricted. So unless you've got a
more recently updated 13217, that's simply another lie.

That dashed line that marks out the entire harbor including the channel means
restricted, dumbass. Do you even have a boat?

Omigod! Terry now admits he doesn't know how to read a chart!
Please, for everyone's sake, enroll in a Power Squadron course before
you get in a boat again!

If anyone wants to check this, they can go to Chart No. 1 and download
Section N, areas and limits.
http://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/chart1/chart1hr.htm

The simple dashed line implies "Maritime limit in general usually
implying: Permanent obstructions." In this particular context it is
simply the limit of the dredged harbor. The giveaway is the little
"see note" next to the "Old Harbor" label. The note describes the
controlling depth.

Incorrect, Jeffy. Go sit in the back and keep quiet.

You really are intent on proving your incompetence. After you get a
copy of Chart No. 1, you should get "The Nautical Chart User's Manual"
http://chartmaker.ncd.noaa.gov/staff/ncum/ncum.htm
In chapter 4 you'll find:

"...channels less than 100 feet (Type 3) are tabulated
by full width. On charts where dredged
channel legends and tabulations are adequately
covered by larger scale charts, the legend and
tabulation are omitted, a “(see note)” placed in
the channel, and a note (preferably on a land
area of the chart) is added, as illustrated by the
following example:
BEAUFORT INLET
The project depth is 30 feet to
Morehead City. For controlling
depths, use chart 11547.
–Symbols
Dashed lines are used to show channel limits
for improved channels. The line thickness,
length of dash, and space vary with the type of
channel."

This "(see note)" and the controlling depth is exactly what is shown
for Old Harbor.

You could also refer to Section I of Chart No. 1. Item I20 are dashed
lines, with the label "Limits of dredged area."

Jeff

Mys Terry wrote:

I just went and looked at the copy of 13217 NOAA has for download and it shows
the dashed black line marking the whole harbor as restricted, just as I
described it to you. You just proved that you don't know how to read a chart.
Big surprise, since you have been wrong on every other point.

So you're insisting that a "dashed black line" always means
restricted. Please, take that Power Squadron course - you really need it!

Are you really this incompetent. The dashed line in this case marks a restricted
area. If you knew anything beyond the most basic navigation, you would know
this.

Nonsense. In every case of a restriction there should be a note as to
the nature of the restriction. Usually, very specific symbols and
terminology are used. In this case there is a simple black dashed
line with a "(see note)" that refers to the controlling depth. If you
really do not understand this, you shouldn't be on the water.

It will be a sad day for boaters when a trip to Block Island means
shoveling out an additional $4 per foot ($120 for a 30' boat) for a
day trip.
Forget the other money spent on gas, restaurants and shopping on the
Island.
Will there still be day trippers?
Do the "Islanders" care?
I don't think so.
They forgot how they got to the Island, from the mainland yet all that
resentment. "Us vs. Them".
It will be a shame to lose this great location for recreational boating
because if I have to pay to stay or stop at Old Harbor means I will not
be going there as often.
I bet the "Islanders" are happy about that as they do not want as
many people there, if any "mainlanders".

They say they need to do this in the name of SAFTY. Please provide
facts to these concerns and clarify the difference between inner and
outer basin.
I have no problems bringing my family to the outer basin but the inner
is a different story.