Default Came across a genuinely bristol older boat........

I write a "used boat" column every month that highlights one of the
brokerage boats on the regional market. Once in a while I happen across
something that is somewhat unusual, and next month's boat for this
feature is in really unique condition.....

I'll toss the rough draft into the mix here for some preliminary
critique.

Fair warning and complete disclosu please do *not* proceed beyond
this point if the mention of something available for sale is likely to
upset you. (Thanks).

"Free & Clear"

Remember the TV commercials for "Mr. Clean" household cleanser?
I've never met Mr. Clean, but I think I was just aboard his boat.
Norbert Tasler, of Anchor Land & Sea in Anacortes, suggested a 1984
Wellcraft express cruiser for this month's column. While we have all
certainly seen mid-80's Wellcrafts, Anchor Land & Sea's listing
"Free & Clear" is very noteworthy vessel. She is an outstanding
example of how fastidious maintenance and thoughtful upgrading can turn
a very nice boat into an absolute showpiece.

Wellcraft began building wooden runabouts in the 1950's, and was a
leader among boat builders making a full transition to fiberglass in
the 1960's. Wellcraft may have pioneered the concept of the "center
console" fishing boat, and throughout the years the Wellcraft
trademark has traditionally featured performance-oriented sportfishing
and family cruising models. "Free & Clear" was built in 1984, the
first year for Wellcraft's 3400 Express Cruiser Series. The 3400
series were the largest boats Wellcraft had produced throughout its 30
years of experience, and they received the care and attention any
manufacturer would lavish on a new model that was also the flagship of
the fleet.

"Free & Clear" is 33'7" long (35'5" with bow pulpit), and
draws 3'. She carries a generous 12'6" beam well forward,
tapering quickly at the bow to maximize interior cabin volume. She
incorporates ample freeboard that provides excellent headroom
throughout the cabin yet allows a very low, sleek profile for her
superstructure. The flat sheer, unobtrusive windshield cowling and
spacious cockpit are classic elements of express cruiser styling.
There's no need to imagine how "Free and Clear" might have looked
when brand new in '84. She has been professionally repainted in her
original gleaming white with wide, deep maroon, sheer stripe. A
spotless canvas enclosure of very recent vintage matches the sheer
stripe, and converts the open cockpit into additional enclosed space
appropriate for year 'round cruising enjoyment in the Pacific
Northwest.

While "Free & Clear" is as clean and shiny as most new or nearly
new boats, there are subtle details that would no longer be considered
"cost effective" by modern manufacturers and that give "Free &
Clear" a specific and easily-identified place on the maritime
timeline. Her chromed and streamline- styled engine air intake bezels
must have looked somewhat "retro" back in '84, and remain
attractive and intriguing even if well out of the fashionable
mainstream today. There is a greater amount of premium teak used for
interior joinery than one would now expect to see on boats of similar
size and style. "Free & Clear" uses teak bulkhead doors to separate
compartments in the same manner that many contemporary boats use
sliding vinyl curtains.

There aren't that many 22-year old boats that inspire a visitor to
consider removing his or her shoes prior to entering the cockpit. While
I ultimately didn't remove my shoes, I did make certain they were
clean prior to stepping aboard "Free & Clear."

Norbert suggested we begin our inspection with the engine room. As soon
as the three-piece cockpit hatch was up it became very obvious that as
original as the fully restored remainder of the boat appeared to be, it
was no longer 1984 down in the absolutely spotless engine room of
"Free & Clear." Wellcraft has always been mindful of its
association with high performing boats, and in 1984 the standard power
on the 3400 Express Cruisers was a pair of 454-cid gasoline engines.
The gas engines would likely have enabled cruising speeds of just over
20-knots, with WOT performance somewhere near 30-knots. The same twin
454's could have churned through "Free & Clear's" 270 gallons
of fuel in a single afternoon of high speed boating.

In an era when 3-digit per gallon fuel prices are as likely to begin
with a "3" as they are with a "2," twin 454 gasoline engines
are less frequently a boater's first choice. The next owner of
"Free & Clear" will be able to enjoy performance consistent with
Wellcraft's original design, but without wondering whether installing
a steam engine incorporating a boiler fired solely by burning dollar
bills might be more economical than fueling up the internal combustion
mains. "Free & Clear's" twin 300-HP Yanmar diesels were installed
in 2000 and can now be considered "broken in" with only 775 hours
on the meters. She is reputed to cruise at 20 knots, with a top speed
of 26. Fuel consumption should be decreased dramatically and range
correspondingly increased by the conversion to the Yanmars. Indeed,
since the repower "Free & Clear" has cruised to Glacier Bay Alaska
and back.

North Harbor Diesel of Anacortes did a total bottom blister repair on
"Free & Clear" in 2004. Wellcraft originally used molded
through-hull fittings on the 3400 series, but "Free & Clear" has
been upgraded to bronze.

After reclosing the engine hatches, Norbert demonstrated a very useful
"pullout" seat that slides under the transom when not needed. The
pullout feature expands the cockpit seating to approximately 10 persons
(including the helm and watch seats), yet allows unobstructed access to
the upholstered transom bolster when fishing. The port watch seat is
mounted atop a cavernous stowage locker, and backed with a stainless
handrail and a series of cup or beverage holders. The helm seat is
mounted on section of deck that has been raised to create headroom in
the guest stateroom immediately below.

"Free & Clear" was well outfitted with electronics, boasting an
inventory that proved sufficient for her cruise to Glacier Bay.
Highlights include a Robertson AP-11 autopilot, Standard Horizon GPS
chartplotter, JRC 24-mile radar, two ICOM VHF radios, and a Furuno
color video sounder. All of the upholstery in the cockpit area is in
excellent condition, and the stainless steel used for transom rails,
deck rails, and windshield framing is bright and unblemished. Even
marine professionals likely to board hundreds of boats in a year will
have a difficult time recalling many used boats in more pristine
condition than "Free & Clear," and perhaps no vessels more bristol
from the same era.

Before inspecting the interior, we noted the presence of a cockpit
heater, an inflatable dinghy on swim step davits, and a sturdy windlass
on the foredeck.

The Wellcraft 3400 Express Cruiser features two private staterooms in a
skillfully engineered interior layout that seems improbably large for a
34-foot express cruiser.
When descending down the companionway steps, one immediately realizes
that the bristol exterior appearance is simply a prelude to more of the
same in the interior. Everything aboard looks, fresh, clean, and
bright. Opening a drawer or a hatch inspires another conjecture that
the owner of the boat could easily be Mr. Clean- everything is
carefully and logically organized and if there's a speck of dirt to
be found, I personally wouldn't know where to begin looking for it.

The master stateroom is just aft of the chain locker, with an amply
proportioned double berth offset to starboard. There is a hanging
locker on the port side of the master stateroom, as well as a six feet
of standing headroom and a comfortable bench that should be handy when
dressing. A teak door separates the master stateroom from the salon
next aft.

The salon includes a U-shaped dinette on the starboard side and a
settee to port. A Dickinson 8,000 BTU propane heater is mounted near
the settee, and should keep the entire interior toasty on even a cool
summer morning in Alaska.

Wellcraft designers placed the starboard galley at the base of the
companionway steps, a choice that allows easy service from the galley
to the dinette immediately forward or quick access to the on deck
entertainment area in the cockpit above. "Free & Clear" uses an
1800-watt inverter and a bank of batteries for AC power underway, so
the galley stove is fired by propane. A stainless steel sink, a
microwave oven, a dual-voltage refrigerator/freezer, and a stainless
steel sink are incorporated in a fixture that reserves more than ample
counter space for basic food prep and service. The upper lockers follow
the gunwale and then return athwartship to provide more stowage than
one normally expects to find on many boats in this category. The
athwartship galley fixture terminates in an attractively styled bottle
locker.

A head that appears to be almost surgically clean and incorporates a
dedicated, stand-up shower stall is opposite the galley on the port
side- and also conveniently located for easy access from the cockpit.

The second stateroom aboard "Free & Clear" is aft of the galley,
and separated from the main cabin by a teak privacy door. There is
restricted headroom in the stateroom; it is located immediately below
the raised portion of the cockpit deck above. The second stateroom is
laid out to serve as a private sitting or conversation area during the
day. A "filler cushion" can be installed to convert the stateroom
to an oversized single berth that would easily accommodate two kids,
and perhaps even two adults who were willing to sleep close together.

Norbert informed me that Anchor Land & Sea will be featuring "Free &
Clear" in the mid-March Anacortes Floating Boat Show. It wouldn't
be surprising at all to eventually learn that the first person shopping
for an express cruiser somewhere near her price range snapped her up at
the show. Seeing is believing, and after only a few moments aboard
"Free & Clear" its easy to believe that at her asking price of
$84,500, (with Norbert pointing out that the seller will consider all
reasonable offers), this particular NW Classic represents an
outstanding opportunity and value.

JimH

Nice write up. However the boat is very slow for a cruiser and is extremely
overpriced.

JimH wrote:
Nice write up. However the boat is very slow for a cruiser and is extremely
overpriced.

More than fast enough for a 34-foot cruiser in the Pacific NW. And
don't forget, boats sell for more $$$ in the Pacific NW than almost
anywhere else in the county.

The price is justified by the nearly new diesels and the immaculate
shape.......(IMO).
Current owner has spent almost $80,000 in upgrades over the last four
years- and while you never get that back it does make the boat worth at
least a little more than an "average" boat of this age. A sistership
with high hour twin 454's, faded gelcoat, and in "average condition"
would probably bring $40,000 or so in the current Pacific NW market- I
would guess. Figure that the market is punishing an average boat
probably 15-25% right now if it's equipped with really thirsty gassers,
and you're back up to $50,000. Figure a $10,000 premium for diesel, a
$5,000 premium for low hours, and a $10,000 premium for virtually
bristol and you're probably up to a price that would buy the boat.

If it takes all that math to get up to "a price that would buy the
boat", why is that such a deal? Because you would be unlikely to find a
better example of this boat for sale anyplace. It's always cheaper to
buy somebody else's upgrades for half price or less than to start with
a beat up old boat and fool yourself into believing that a few grand
here and a few grand there would change it from a "5" to a "10".

"Free & Clear's" twin 300-HP Yanmar diesels were installed
in 2000 and can now be considered "broken in" with only 775 hours

They are way more than broken in, more accurately, half used up or
possibly more. We are not talking about 3,000 lb cast iron engines
that are built to last forever. The Yanmars are lightweights that will
be lucky to make it much past 1,500 hours without major overhauls. The
fuel tanks, hull, deck and hull/deck joint should also be regarded as
highly suspect in a high usage boat of that age.

wrote:
"Free & Clear's" twin 300-HP Yanmar diesels were installed
in 2000 and can now be considered "broken in" with only 775 hours

They are way more than broken in, more accurately, half used up or
possibly more. We are not talking about 3,000 lb cast iron engines
that are built to last forever. The Yanmars are lightweights that will
be lucky to make it much past 1,500 hours without major overhauls. The
fuel tanks, hull, deck and hull/deck joint should also be regarded as
highly suspect in a high usage boat of that age.

Sounds like you've been reading David Pascoe's website. He places the
life expectancy of most diesel engines somewhere near 1,000 hours,
IIRC. We need to get the word out to thousands of people well beyond
1500 hours on their Yanmars that they are overdue for a major overhaul.
I do agree that these engines are unlikely to ever see the 5000 or 6000
hours often achieved with older, lower RPM engines like a Ford Lehman,
my original Perkins (that died only due to a manifold failure around
4000 hours), etc. But to predict they won't even survive as long as a
well maintained marinized automobile gas engine is far too negative,
IMO. Did you know that Yanmar scored better than Volvo, Perkins, and
some other top names in a survey of actual diesel engine owners in the
Jan 2006 issue of Cruising World?

A thorough survey would confirm or defuse concerns about the hull,
deck, etc. and nobody should ever buy a used boat without a survey.

RCE

wrote in message
ps.com...

Sounds like you've been reading David Pascoe's website. He places the
life expectancy of most diesel engines somewhere near 1,000 hours,
IIRC. We need to get the word out to thousands of people well beyond
1500 hours on their Yanmars that they are overdue for a major overhaul.
I do agree that these engines are unlikely to ever see the 5000 or 6000
hours often achieved with older, lower RPM engines like a Ford Lehman,
my original Perkins (that died only due to a manifold failure around
4000 hours), etc. But to predict they won't even survive as long as a
well maintained marinized automobile gas engine is far too negative,
IMO. Did you know that Yanmar scored better than Volvo, Perkins, and
some other top names in a survey of actual diesel engine owners in the
Jan 2006 issue of Cruising World?

I think (simply my opinion) that a modern diesel boat engine's lifespan is
inversely proportional to it's horsepower. I know a guy that's been through
3 engine rebuilds or replacements of both Yanmar 600 hp engines on his boat
in 6 years. He did a lot of fishing trips and never got much over 1000 hours
on any of them.

RCE

RCE wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...

[...]

I wish I could recall where to find it, but there has been a study
conducted and a theory advanced that there's a direct relationship
between the amount of fuel a diesel engine consumes and its life
expectancy. The theory bases life expectancy on gallons consumed,
rather than on hours operated. Under such a premise, any fuel
consumption chart for a high HP diesel engine will reveal just how
costly pushing the engine beyond
the most efficient point in the curve can be, in terms of engine life
expectancy as well as the fuel bill. I wonder what your acquaintance's
experience would have been at just a few hundred RPM slower, where his
fuel consumption might have been substantially less. If he's wearing
out a diesel in 1000 hours, he's got the wrong engines for his
application or he's pushing them way too hard, IMO.

Relevant aside: I was just aboard a new Silverton with Yanmars, and
learned that the factory *recommends* that the engines be cruised at
within 200 RPM of WOT and *recommends* that they run totally wide open
for up to 30% of total operating time.
Interesting recommendations, to say the least.

William Andersen

I should have sent this a long time ago but, thanks for all of your posts.
I always enjoy at least glancing at the ones on subjects not high on my list
of priorities/interests, and take my time to thoroughly enjoy reading the
posts on those that have specific interest to me.

wrote in message
oups.com...

RCE wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...

[...]

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

The manual for my Volvos (TAMP-63P -370hp) says the same thing, in fact they
give you a placard to install by the throttles that says "Recommended cruise
RPM = WOT minus 200 RPM. Doesn't say anything about running WOT
specifically, but general knowledge among diesel owners is to crank 'em up
for a mile or two when returning after cruising for an extended period of
time.

The theory on engine life and fuel consumption makes a lot of sense. As I
mentioned, the person with the 600 hp Yanmars does a lot of fishing and it
includes many hours of high speed, (30+ knots) running to get well offshore
(NE Canyons). His boat was manufactured by:

http://www.eastbayboatworks.com/

RCE

RCE

wrote in message
oups.com...

RCE wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...

I think (simply my opinion) that a modern diesel boat engine's lifespan
is
inversely proportional to it's horsepower. I know a guy that's been
through
3 engine rebuilds or replacements of both Yanmar 600 hp engines on his
boat
in 6 years. He did a lot of fishing trips and never got much over 1000
hours
on any of them.

RCE

I screwed up. His engines are *not* Yanmar. They are Manns.

RCE