boomerswims

Default crew for ocean crossing

We have recently recieved a proposition for someone to help us sail our
boat from Hawaii to California. We need to make an offer, but are
unsure of what to offer. He has experience in ocean crossings and as
crew. We know we will be paying for air, food, and hotel. What is a
reasonable offer for his time as crew?

Bob

So when your boat sinks, or the delivery guy has 2 kg of dope when
boarded, or the boat burns to the water line because he fell asleap in
his bunk while smoking you tell your insurance company what?

Uh, some guy sunk my boat. Can I have another one? Or dear Mr. USCG -
DEA- HS may I have my boat back please? It's what? Seized... What doe
s that mean? And the .mil or the insurance company does what?

So what does the delivery contract say?

Been Burnt Bob

boomerswims

I guess I didn't make it clear. My husband will be sailing the boat
with the guy as crew. He has helped deliver boats before. We will be
contacting references before we buy the man an airline ticket or get
into any contract with him. We are just wondering what is a reasonable
offer for someone to act as crew on a vessel that is sailing on an up
wind passage for 20 - 30 days.

Customary for non-professional crew is to pay expenses only. If the
trip goes well and you are happy with the way things worked out, a
small gift would be appropriate.

Crew issues on long passages are very common, I'd be cautious. You
might be better off in the long run to hire a professional.

Bob

boomerswims wrote:
I guess I didn't make it clear. My husband will be sailing the boat
with the guy as crew. He has helped deliver boats before.
crew on a vessel that is sailing on an up wind passage for 20 - 30 days.

Hi:

Lets see, in your original post you took off for the main land and got
got scared or the boat bounced around too much for your likeing.

Now you wan to hire a "crew" for what reason:
1) simply as an extra hand and movable ballast?
2)Or for guidance and experienced advice?

Unless the guy is simply a grunt who does exacty what told and nothing
else you'll find yourself in a very difficult situation......... a boat
with two captains.

Take the last poster's advice, "Crew issues on long passages are very
common, I'd be cautious..." and I would add, determine who is incharge
exactly. If you did not have the ability to get your boat to CA before,
step back, get a pro, and be a passaanger.

Bob

The going rate for delivery skippers on that route is $1-2 a mile plus
all travel expenses plus all expenses getting the boat seaworthy.
Delivery skippers often prefer not to have the owner on board and may
charge extra if they take you along. Expect a strong reputation and
professional credentials for that price. Crew is a whole other kettle
of fish. Some will be content to share expenses with you others may
expect to get their expenses covered and some may require a fee... You
need to be very honest about what you are looking for and who is in
charge. If you are going as crew and learning from the person you are
bringing expect to pay top dollar and to do a lot of hard work.
Remember, a good delivery skipper will have crew lined up and wanting
to go to sea with them for the time and experience and taking you along
rather than an apprentice professional will be a hardship for him or
her.

-- Tom.

boomerswims

Thanks to tsmwebb. This seems to give us a good starting point for
negotiations on pay. I won't even waste my energy on Bob's comments.

Bob

boomerswims wrote:
Thanks to tsmwebb. This seems to give us a good starting point for
negotiations on pay. I won't even waste my energy on Bob's comments.

Interesting:

When you get right down to what I said, I think you'll find little
diffrence in our advice except that tsmwebb lacked my abrasive word
choice. Yes, tsmwebb is correct.

I would like to add, at $1-2/ mile your delivery skipper will most
likly hold a 200 or 500 ton master/1600 ton mate license with a very
lengthy contract for you to sign.

HON to SFX at least 2,600 miles x $2/mile = $5,200 plus another grand
or more for expences. A pro wont put to sea unless the boat is capable
of getting her back to port. So be prepared for some gear and fix
bills.

$6,200 + to get a $17K boat to CA.

Rawsons are good boats.......... cockpits are big enough to hold a VW

Sell it or sail it yourself.

Hope I did not offend you again,
Bob