Capt. JG

Default blue smoke from a Perkins 4-108

We're taking a look at a sailboat with this engine. Upon start up, there's a
fair amount of blue smoke, which disappears after the engine gets a little
warm. Also noticed it when you give it fairly high revvs in neutral. I'm
thinking value guides or rings? What do you think about that and the cost of
repair. It's got about 3200 hours on it, and I don't see any obvious leaks.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

bushman

4-108 that does not leak!!!
Call the national perkins dealer and talk to a tech or the guy that teaches.
I will try and findthat # for you. They will also tell you who in your area
is a perkins mech.
For what it is worth I had blue and black smoke. Ran the **** out of it
changed the oil several times, once ran moto-flush thru it. No smoke now and
seems to run cooler. However you may want to have real diesel mechanic do a
compression test. New fuel may make a difference too.
- Allen

Capt. JG

"bushman" wrote in message
news
4-108 that does not leak!!!
Call the national perkins dealer and talk to a tech or the guy that
teaches. I will try and findthat # for you. They will also tell you who in
your area is a perkins mech.
For what it is worth I had blue and black smoke. Ran the **** out of it
changed the oil several times, once ran moto-flush thru it. No smoke now
and seems to run cooler. However you may want to have real diesel mechanic
do a compression test. New fuel may make a difference too.
- Allen

Allen, thanks! I'd appreciate the number. Actually, I said no obvious leaks,
but we haven't crawled around that much yet. :-)

Jonathan

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Me

In article ,
"Capt. JG" wrote:

We're taking a look at a sailboat with this engine. Upon start up, there's a
fair amount of blue smoke, which disappears after the engine gets a little
warm. Also noticed it when you give it fairly high revvs in neutral. I'm
thinking value guides or rings? What do you think about that and the cost of
repair. It's got about 3200 hours on it, and I don't see any obvious leaks.

3200 hours TT (total time) on a 4-108, hardly even Broke IN. You may
just have a weepy Injector, or a guide that didn't seat. Compression
test should rule out any ring, or topend problems. A little blue smoke
is normal untill the engine comes up to Thermistat Temp, and one
shouldn't place much stock in what happens to exhaust color unless the
engine is loaded.

Me
Capt. JG

"Me" wrote in message
In article ,
"Capt. JG" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info... I know nothing about these engines.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Larry

Me wrote in news:Me-6D444D.14425410052006
@netnews.worldnet.att.net:

3200 hours TT (total time) on a 4-108, hardly even Broke IN. You may
just have a weepy Injector, or a guide that didn't seat. Compression
test should rule out any ring, or topend problems. A little blue smoke
is normal untill the engine comes up to Thermistat Temp, and one
shouldn't place much stock in what happens to exhaust color unless the
engine is loaded.

Me

I agree. Both the old 4-108 with 9000+ hours on it and the "newsed" 4-
108 with 900 hours on it blue smoke when cold. Cold cylinder walls cause
the fuel spray to recondense on them and it burns slowly off like
lubeoil. Nothing is wrong with this tractor engine...(c;

My captain had a dripless bearing installed with a water injection line
that filled the exhaust stack with seawater, along with 3 of the 4
cylinders, hydrolocking the motor. His attempts to restart it this way
didn't even phase the engine, although I thought the battery cable was
going to jump out of the boat from the current!

The engine was pickled at the dock and one injector needed replacement,
but after a "few oil changes" she's rarin' ta go!

The Perkins is a fantastic engine that will take awful abuse like this.
A little blue smoke from a cold Perkins with no preheater running is just
normal. Wide open throttle trying to avoid hitting the dock is also
exciting. It sounds like she's gonna blow from the knocking and the
black smoke pouring up from under the stern will keep the mosquitoes at
bay, even in Florida!...(c;

I doubt any Yanmar will survive "Perkins abuse".

Perkins 6354 starter motor [email protected] General 2 October 7th 10 04:24 AM
Mounting a second alternator (Perkins Prima MD80T) Peio Boat Building 2 April 5th 06 05:56 PM
Using Dark Blue paint Boat Building 7 April 5th 06 05:33 PM
Perkins 4-108 Shop/Repair Manual Glenn A. Heslop Cruising 9 February 15th 06 02:34 AM
wtb garmin blue charts in Toronto Acclaim Marketplace 0 January 20th 06 11:11 PM