Glenn A. Heslop

Default Perkins 4-108 Shop/Repair Manual

My Gulfstar 41' has a Perkins 4-108. I do have a manual for it...as
prepared by Perkins. Because shop manuals by the manufacturer are commonly
(in my limited experience) small & lacking in detail. Because nothing goes
wrong in port, with a marine mechanic anchored nearby, I am looking for
something like a, "Perkins 4-108 Repair for Dummies". Lots of detailed
description, photos and diagrams.

I trust this doesn't make me look like a dummy...;-)! Even so, this dummy
things that not being prepared will eventually make one look like a real
dummy.

I look forward to all your helpful assistance.

Glenn.

krj

Glenn A. Heslop wrote:
My Gulfstar 41' has a Perkins 4-108. I do have a manual for it...as
prepared by Perkins. Because shop manuals by the manufacturer are commonly
(in my limited experience) small & lacking in detail. Because nothing goes
wrong in port, with a marine mechanic anchored nearby, I am looking for
something like a, "Perkins 4-108 Repair for Dummies". Lots of detailed
description, photos and diagrams.

I trust this doesn't make me look like a dummy...;-)! Even so, this dummy
things that not being prepared will eventually make one look like a real
dummy.

I look forward to all your helpful assistance.

Glenn.

Glenn,
Do you have a Perkins Operators manual or the Perkins shop manual. The
Perkins shop manual that I have has complete disassembly/assembly
instructions with photos. Cost $75.00
krj
Glenn A. Heslop

Hmmm....the manual is now 350 miles from me with the boat. It's got a blue
cover & 1/2 page sized. I'm sure it's not a complete manual...but does
cover bleeding fuel system etc. It's so small that the pictures are not so
easy to see. Maybe the actual full shop manual would be better. I guess
I'd been thinking it'd be like cars...the after-market manuals are better.

Comments?

Glenn.

"krj" wrote in message
Glenn A. Heslop wrote:
[...]

News f2s

There's an A4 sized manual (19cm x 29 cm, give or take an inch)
which goes the full monte.

Check the Sabre website - have a google - It's a bit late and the
wife is calling . . .

JimB

"Glenn A. Heslop" wrote in
message newscMHf.484513$2k.247575@pd7tw1no...

"krj" wrote in message

Glenn A. Heslop wrote:

[...]

The manual I have is the Perkins workshop Manual, loose leaf notebook.
Covers Engine photos, Safety, Tech Data, Operatops and Maintenance,
Fault Diagnosis, Cylinder head maintenance, Pistons & connecting rods,
cylinder block & liners, crankshaft and main bearings, Timing case and
drive, timing, Lube system, cooling system, Air and fuel system,
Flywheel and housing, electrical Approved lube oils, service facilities,
service tools, power plant consumables. All specifications and torque
values included.
If you need anything else, it isn't covered is this manual. I got this
one from the local Perkens dealer.

message newshVHf.382187$tl.257137@pd7tw3no...
Would you please let me know where you got it. Can't seem to
find it
anywhere.

You want the Perkins 4.108 manual, 129 pages (not the 30 page
handbook)

If you're in US, your best bet for getting a copy is from ebay.
They're traded fairly regularly among restoration enthusiasts.

Alternatively, I note that Perkins still trade in USA as Perkins
(here, in UK, they trade as Sabre, Sabre/Perkins). Perkins dealers
should point you in the right direction. Try:

http://www.perkins.com/perkins/cda/d...7_2005,00.html

All the best

JimB

krj

"krj" wrote in message

Glenn A. Heslop wrote:

[...]

I just drove a few blocks over to my Perkins shop and got one from Mark.
It's the Perkins Workshop Manual. $75.00
Mark Malo
Complete Yacht Service, Inc.
200 S.W. 33 Street
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33315
(954) 462-6977

krj

Glenn A. Heslop

I found a Perkins 4-108 shop manual at my local Perkins dealer today...$183!
I'll keep looking...saw some manuals on ebay but not that one. Let me know
if y'all find one.

Glenn.
s/v Seawing
www.seawing.net