posted to rec.boats.building

Default Using Dark Blue paint

I wonder if painting the freeboard of a boat dark or flag blue will hide
some of the cosmetics defects or is white better??

posted to rec.boats.building
Jim Conlin

Dark gloss paint is the absolute worst for revealing imperfections. Light
colors in lower gloss make things easier.
wrote in message
I wonder if painting the freeboard of a boat dark or flag blue will hide
some of the cosmetics defects or is white better??

posted to rec.boats.building
Tom Dacon

Flat black is the best for hiding imperfections. Hides rust streaks, plank
irregularities, just about everything. Can't sell your boat? Paint the
topsides flat black and sell the romance.

Tom Dacon

wrote in message
I wonder if painting the freeboard of a boat dark or flag blue will hide
some of the cosmetics defects or is white better??

posted to rec.boats.building

I am interested in buying this Hunter. The boat for sale is painted flag
blue. On the internet the published picture of this boat is underexposed.
(With today’s digital camera it pretty hard to get the wrong exposure when
taking pictures.)
It is the first time that I see of a Hunter being painted dark blue. I
suspected something being not kosher. After talking to the broker's
assistant, I learned that the boat had been involved in a trucking side
swept while been deliver to the marina. The boat was repaired at the
Pearson plant and the owner asked for flag blue.

wrote in message
I wonder if painting the freeboard of a boat dark or flag blue will hide
some of the cosmetics defects or is white better??

posted to rec.boats.building
Brian D

Oh yeah? You should see the wedding photos the "dope with an expensive
camera" took for our wedding. My Canon instamatic style camera
out-performed what he did with his fancy costs-thousands camera. Also, if
the item of interest in the photo is back-lit, and the dope with the camera
isn't clever enough to notice, then many auto cameras will set the exposure
according to light meter regions in the bright back-lit area ...the result
is that the foreground objects will appear very underexposed while the
background items will be properly exposed. It's a common mistake. Most of
the time, you have to point the camera down to get the light meter regions
out of the bright spots, press the button partway to lock the exposure
setting, raise the camera to re-compose, then finish pressing the button all
the way in to take the picture. Like I said, it's a common mistake to get
back-lit pictures wrong.

Brian D

wrote in message
I wonder if painting the freeboard of a boat dark or flag blue will
hide
some of the cosmetics defects or is white better??

posted to rec.boats.building
MMC

Brian,
I think that's about the nicest thing I've ever heard said about a Hunter
, I teared up when I read it.
MMC
news

wrote in message
I wonder if painting the freeboard of a boat dark or flag blue will
hide
some of the cosmetics defects or is white better??

posted to rec.boats.building
Jim Conlin

If you have any suspicion that a boat, especially one which might be
less-than-robustly built (Hunter), has been involved in such a problem,
insist on photos of the boat's pre-repair damage and get a THOROUGH survey
from a reputable (not the seller's or broker's) surveyor.

wrote in message
I wonder if painting the freeboard of a boat dark or flag blue will

hide
some of the cosmetics defects or is white better??

posted to rec.boats.building
Capt John

White hides dings better, dark colors fade over time as well, just ask
anyone who ever bought a new boat with a dark colored hull and kept it
for several years, they painted it.