Gogarty

Default Bilge cleaner

Can yu sue Simple Green as a bilge cleaner? Just pour it in full
strength and let it slosh around for a few days, then pump it overboard?
What do $50/gal bilge cleaners do that Simple Green won't?

Dennis Pogson

Gogarty wrote:
Can yu sue Simple Green as a bilge cleaner? Just pour it in full
strength and let it slosh around for a few days, then pump it
overboard? What do $50/gal bilge cleaners do that Simple Green won't?

I would advise against suing them. These companies can muster some very
expensive legal suppor, and if you lose, bankruptcy could follow.

William Andersen

don't pump it overboard - you'll be polluting. Cleaners don't make the
grease and oil vanish, they just come off the surface and are contained in
the liquid. Soak the mess up and dispose of it the way you would any oily
waste, or wash out the rags and use them for more dirty work.
"Dennis Pogson" wrote in message
Gogarty wrote:
Can yu sue Simple Green as a bilge cleaner? Just pour it in full
strength and let it slosh around for a few days, then pump it
overboard? What do $50/gal bilge cleaners do that Simple Green won't?

I would advise against suing them. These companies can muster some very
expensive legal suppor, and if you lose, bankruptcy could follow.

Garland Gray II

That's right.
I learned there is more harm in pumping out oil/detergent than just oil. But
this probably applies to bilge cleaner, too.
BTW, I've used Simple Green to clean up (with paper towels) the engine room,
and the fumes are right potent.

Gogarty wrote:
Can yu sue Simple Green as a bilge cleaner? Just pour it in full
strength and let it slosh around for a few days, then pump it
overboard? What do $50/gal bilge cleaners do that Simple Green won't?

I would advise against suing them. These companies can muster some very
expensive legal suppor, and if you lose, bankruptcy could follow.

Rosalie B.

"Dennis Pogson" wrote:

Gogarty wrote:
Can yu sue Simple Green as a bilge cleaner? Just pour it in full
strength and let it slosh around for a few days, then pump it
overboard? What do $50/gal bilge cleaners do that Simple Green won't?

I would advise against suing them. These companies can muster some very
expensive legal suppor, and if you lose, bankruptcy could follow.

Simple Green used to have a different formulation in Canada than in
the USA. So check and see what's in it.

You shouldn't pump emulsified oil overboard and that's what soap will
do to it. We've got an oil water separator that we use to be sure
that no oil goes overboard.

When we shock the tanks, the water that is drained from the tanks
afterwards goes into the bilge and is then pumped overboard. It
cleans up all the mold and mildew in the waterlines and in the bilge
too. It isn't clean enough to eat food that drops into there, but I
don't know why you'd want to do that anyway.

Don W

Hi Rosy,

Rosalie B. wrote:

You shouldn't pump emulsified oil overboard and that's what soap will
do to it. We've got an oil water separator that we use to be sure
that no oil goes overboard.

Where did you get your oil/water separator? I
need to get one for the new boat to make sure I
don't accidentally get one of those $5000 fines
the warning posters talk about.

When we shock the tanks, the water that is drained from the tanks
afterwards goes into the bilge and is then pumped overboard. It
cleans up all the mold and mildew in the waterlines and in the bilge
too. It isn't clean enough to eat food that drops into there, but I
don't know why you'd want to do that anyway.

That seems like a decent idea.

Don W.

Rosalie B.

Don W wrote:

Hi Rosy,

Rosalie B. wrote:

You shouldn't pump emulsified oil overboard and that's what soap will
do to it. We've got an oil water separator that we use to be sure
that no oil goes overboard.

Where did you get your oil/water separator? I
need to get one for the new boat to make sure I
don't accidentally get one of those $5000 fines
the warning posters talk about.

Bob made it himself. It's a very simple concept and easy to do.

All the grey water (with soap like from the shower) goes into the
separator box and that's where the bilge pump is.

When we shock the tanks, the water that is drained from the tanks
afterwards goes into the bilge and is then pumped overboard. It
cleans up all the mold and mildew in the waterlines and in the bilge
too. It isn't clean enough to eat food that drops into there, but I
don't know why you'd want to do that anyway.

That seems like a decent idea.

Don W.

grandma Rosalie

S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD
CSY 44 WO #156
http://home.mindspring.com/~gmbeasley/id1.html
Wayne.B

On Thu, 04 May 2006 09:29:13 -0400, Gogarty
wrote:

Can yu sue Simple Green as a bilge cleaner? Just pour it in full
strength and let it slosh around for a few days, then pump it overboard?

I like Simple Green as a cleaner but have found that it develops an
unpleasant odor in the bilge.

Sea Ray Sundancer Bilge Question Marty Schulze General 6 June 24th 11 09:00 PM
Clear corrugated suction hose (was) Bilge Pump Upgrade Pete C Cruising 12 March 10th 06 02:59 AM
Clear corrugated suction hose (was) Bilge Pump Upgrade Pete C UK Power Boats 10 March 10th 06 02:59 AM
Bilge water removal Robert General 7 March 6th 06 07:12 PM
Keep Bilge Area Dry or Keep It Wet for Winterizing? [email protected] General 23 November 30th 05 05:21 PM