sherwindu

Default Fed up with Yamaha 4-stroke

This is the second season I have taken my Yamaha T9.9 out of storage and had
problems
getting it to run properly. I took extra pains to put it away properly last
year. I used Stabil in the last tank of gas. I also ran some Sea Foam through
it. The
engine was run out until it would not start. I fogged the engine at the end and
opened
a drain plug on the carb to empty any remaining gas. The engine would barely
start
this week and would die when put into gear. I cleaned the jets, but missed the
jet
for mid-range running that was hidden under a plastic cap. My friendly outboard
mechanic
found it and showed me it was blocked. After cleaning this jet, the engine
finally ran. I am using fresh gas, so that was not the problem. I have a
filter on the
gas tank, and there is another one on the engine. It is possibly a combination
of the
newer formulas of gas and the design of these later model four strokes (mine is
2002 with less than 50 hours on it). Some people recommend running the engine
at
least every 3 weeks, which is not always possible, and what about winter
lay-ups?
My mechanic recommended using a Mercury product for cleaning carbs that is added

to the gas tank. I am skeptical, but am trying it any ways. I never had any
of these problems with my old two strokes. That's progress!

Sherwin D.

Steve Lusardi

The problem is unfortunately very common. It is caused by the new oxygenated
fuel blends that the Government is stuffing down our throats. These blends
go sour after about 90 days and leave a waxy residue behind that clogs
everything.
Steve

"sherwindu" wrote in message
[...]

Garland Gray II

The other thing is that supposedly the jets on 4 stroke engines are a lot
smaller than on a similar size 2 stroke because they use much less fuel, and
that fuel is thinner since there is no oil mix. So it doesn't take as much
debris to foul the jet. Or so I've been told.
I know I had fuel problems w/ my 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke, especially after rough
seas.

4 stroke or 2 stroke s o General 6 April 18th 06 11:47 PM
Anyone know the weight of a 1995 115 HP 2 Stroke Yamaha? ESS General 2 April 18th 06 02:33 AM
yamaha motor locked up? Charlie Brown General 5 March 3rd 06 09:53 PM
1997 Yamaha C115TLRV [email protected] General 3 February 11th 06 12:36 PM
Yamaha 50 four stroke vs 60 two stroke Jack Redington General 4 January 27th 06 01:56 AM