HHatcher

Default Fed up with Yamaha 4-stroke

Don W wrote:

I have the same engine, and mine started right up and ran perfectly
after 6 months of winter storage. The difference in our methods is
that I do not run the engine dry and drain the carb. I leave them full
of gas with stabil.
You have already discovered that storing it dry led to a clogged jet.
That jet wasn't clogged when you put the engine away.

Just wondering - Why would you fog a 4 stroke? I thought the idea of
fogging a 2 stroke was to coat and protect the bearings/cages, etc.,
in the otherwise unlubricated (and open to the atmosphere) crankcase
area, since fuel flows thru this area on the way to the combustion
chamber. In a 4 stroke, fuel goes from the carb(s) to the manifold
directly into the combustion chamber. Seems to me that fogging
probably adds to the carburator problems in this type engine.

HH

The reason that you fog any engine is to cut down on rust forming on the
cylinder walls, rings, valve faces, and valve seats while it is sitting.

Don W.

Seems reasonable. I'll remember that advice when I move to a 4 stroke. HH