Don W

Default Fixing scratches in Awlgrip

When a boat that has been painted with Awlgrip
gets scratched, how do you repair the scratch. If
it was gelcoat, you would just fill in the scratch
with matching color gelcoat, sand it fair, and
then polish it out.

Our new boat was recently painted with Awlgrip,
and it looks like they scratched it putting it
into the dock. How can I make the scratches go away?

Don W.

Dennis Pogson

Don W wrote:
When a boat that has been painted with Awlgrip
gets scratched, how do you repair the scratch. If
it was gelcoat, you would just fill in the scratch
with matching color gelcoat, sand it fair, and
then polish it out.

Our new boat was recently painted with Awlgrip,
and it looks like they scratched it putting it
into the dock. How can I make the scratches go away?

Don W.

Try http://www.awlgrip.com/awlgrip_pages/contact.htm

Don W

;-) Reminds me of the answer to how to fix the
rattles and squeaks in an older car. "Turn up the
radio".

Don W.

Mys Terry wrote:
On Wed, 03 May 2006 06:15:40 GMT, Don W
wrote:

When a boat that has been painted with Awlgrip
gets scratched, how do you repair the scratch. If
it was gelcoat, you would just fill in the scratch
with matching color gelcoat, sand it fair, and
then polish it out.

Our new boat was recently painted with Awlgrip,
and it looks like they scratched it putting it
into the dock. How can I make the scratches go away?

Don W.

Think about something else. 8^)

Thomas Wentworth

Don ,,,, I was asking myself this same question lately.

I saw this really sweet boat, it had a new ( owner said $7,000 ) finish job
done to the topsides.

I'm looking it over with envy when I see a big old scratch on the side.
Looked like the boat had rubbed up against a dock and maybe a nail got it.

I kept thinking ??? $7,000 and now there is a big scratch.

Later I was talking to another boat owner and I said "why don't people just
paint the boats with one part paint, then when the topside gets scratched it
won't be a big deal".

I'm still wondering about that ... why do boat owners have Awlgrip jobs
knowing that the paint is going to get scratched?

With the roll, and dry tip method of painting ,,, I have seen paint jobs on
the net that look as good as Awlgrip.

So,, what is the answer ??

=======================
"Don W" wrote in message
om...
When a boat that has been painted with Awlgrip gets scratched, how do you
repair the scratch. If it was gelcoat, you would just fill in the scratch
with matching color gelcoat, sand it fair, and then polish it out.

Our new boat was recently painted with Awlgrip, and it looks like they
scratched it putting it into the dock. How can I make the scratches go
away?

Don W.

mickey

Some shops give you a "touch up" kit after they awlgrip the boat. If
you're lucky, you have it. If your still lucky, you know what color
awlgrip was used on the boat, and youc an get some awlgrip and match it
up. (Go to a yard/paint shop and ask them--you dont' really want to
deal with even the quart-size containers.)

That said, it's very difficult to touch up awlgrip and not leave a
visible seam. Since it's paint, it goes on in layers, and the new
layer sits higher than the old layer. You can't buff it, so what do
you do? You can try feathering a little and use a light hand. I
wouldn't tape around the patch area--that will just leave distinct
lines where the tape was. That said, be mindful of drips.

Don W

Thomas Wentworth wrote:
Don ,,,, I was asking myself this same question lately.

I saw this really sweet boat, it had a new ( owner said $7,000 ) finish job
done to the topsides.

I'm looking it over with envy when I see a big old scratch on the side.
Looked like the boat had rubbed up against a dock and maybe a nail got it.

I kept thinking ??? $7,000 and now there is a big scratch.

Later I was talking to another boat owner and I said "why don't people just
paint the boats with one part paint, then when the topside gets scratched it
won't be a big deal".

I'm still wondering about that ... why do boat owners have Awlgrip jobs
knowing that the paint is going to get scratched?

With the roll, and dry tip method of painting ,,, I have seen paint jobs on
the net that look as good as Awlgrip.

So,, what is the answer ??

You got me. I'm a fan of gelcoat repair myself.
Then when you get even a deep scratch, you can
fill it in with color matched gelcoat, wet sand it
down, buff, polish, wax, and you can't even see
where the repair was done.

I think that because gel coating is a little more
labor intensive than painting, a lot of people
choose the easy way out.

Don W.

Don W

Dennis Pogson wrote:

Don W wrote:

When a boat that has been painted with Awlgrip
gets scratched, how do you repair the scratch. If
it was gelcoat, you would just fill in the scratch
with matching color gelcoat, sand it fair, and
then polish it out.

Our new boat was recently painted with Awlgrip,
and it looks like they scratched it putting it
into the dock. How can I make the scratches go away?

Don W.

Try http://www.awlgrip.com/awlgrip_pages/contact.htm

Okay, got a reply back from the Awlgrip factory,
and here is what they say. I especially noted the
part about "Please note that these touch up spots
will be visible"

The following is by Beth Bernhorst at Awlgrip.com:

If you are wanting to touch up the scratches, you
can follow the system
below. Unfortunately we do not have touch up kits
at this time. The
smallest quantity of the color base available is a
quart and the
smallest quantity of brushing converter is a pint.
Sometimes a local
boatyard that applies the Awlgrip may be willing
to sell a small
quantity of the paint for minor touch ups, or try
contacting the yard
that applied the Awlgrip - they may be able to
supply you with a small
quantity. The following is the procedure for
doing touch ups by brush.

AWLGRIP(r) TOUCH-UP PROCEDURE

Note: The procedure which follows is for very
small scratches or dings.

On large repairs it is often much more efficient
to re-paint a complete
section than it is to touch up a small area, this
work should be left to
professionals.

For small scratches and dings, use the appropriate
2 parts of color base
mixed with 1 part AWL-CAT(r)#3 Brushing Converter
(H3002), and a fine
artist's brush to re-establish the color and seal
the substrate.

For small repairs you probably will not need
reducer for the topcoat or
any primer.

Gouges that go deep into, or through, the gelcoat
should be primed
before applying topcoat.

Seriously cracked or crazed fiberglass should be
professionally
repaired.

Keep a clean rag nearby soaked with M.E.K. or
Acetone. If you put on
too much paint, wipe it off with the rag while it
is still wet and start
again.

Please note that these touch up spots will be
visible. The new paint
will have more gloss than the old and you may
notice a color difference.

We do not recommend buffing the surface to "blend"
the touch up area and
the old finish. This includes the use of
Finness-It(r) and similar
products.

The benefit to touching up these small scratches
is you are sealing the
surface, helping to prevent water or other
contaminants from
under-cutting the paint film.

You may also want to try using Awlcare (Protective
Polymer Sealer). It
goes on much like a liquid wax, but contains no
abrasives and is
non-yellowing and non-building.

Please reply or call 847-599-6212 if you have any
additional questions.

Thomas Wentworth

After this thread ,, I'm more convinced than ever that Awlgrip paint jobs
are a big RIP OFF.

Ya spend thousands and the paint can't even be touched up?

I loved the part about "leave it to Professionals". Sure, the same guys who
charged $7,000 to paint the boat once will now want $7,000 to paint it
again.

There are numerous stories on the net of boat owners who painted their boats
using the two part paints with a roller and tip brush method. Their jobs
look just as good as the $7,000 Awlgrip job.

And also ,, there are stories on the net of folks who painted their boats
with one part paint, looked darn good.

For $7,000 you can paint the boat a bunch.

Awlgrip ... big waste of money.

======================
"Don W" wrote in message
. com...

Dennis Pogson wrote:

Don W wrote:

[...]

Please note that these touch up spots will be visible. The new paint
will have more gloss than the old and you may notice a color difference.

We do not recommend buffing the surface to "blend" the touch up area and
the old finish. This includes the use of Finness-It(r) and similar
products.

The benefit to touching up these small scratches is you are sealing the
surface, helping to prevent water or other contaminants from
under-cutting the paint film.

You may also want to try using Awlcare (Protective Polymer Sealer). It
goes on much like a liquid wax, but contains no abrasives and is
non-yellowing and non-building.

Please reply or call 847-599-6212 if you have any additional questions.

Frank Boettcher

wrote:

When a boat that has been painted with Awlgrip
gets scratched, how do you repair the scratch. If
it was gelcoat, you would just fill in the scratch
with matching color gelcoat, sand it fair, and
then polish it out.

Our new boat was recently painted with Awlgrip,
and it looks like they scratched it putting it
into the dock. How can I make the scratches go away?

Don W.

Awlgrip (catalyzed polyurethane) is no more difficult to apply than
any good automotive finish. The problem is getting the perfect color
match. If you have or can get the mix formula and the finish isn't
faded, the battle is 90 percent won.

For small scratches I would wet sand them out and use an air brush or
small touch up gun. Or if you have a friend who is in the auto body
or car restoration business, get them to help you.

Just follow the safety info with regard to respiratory protection. It
is fairly potent stuff.

Frank