Ed

Default Bimini is back where it belongs!!!! (Garmin Bluechart V8 is now basedon Explorer charts)

Well, garmin finally got smart and offered the Explorer charts for the
bahamas. I just upgraded from V5 to V8 on my Bluechart based 2006 and
FINALLY Bimini and many other islands are in the right spot. The
original Govt charts had bimini 1/4NM off since the beginning of time.
I have 20 years of Loran and GPS track lines going over the exact same
tracks and the gov't based charts had me going over land.

Same thing with the Exumas although I only have about 5 years of data
for that area. Areas that I have "picked" my through in the past now
show a navigatable channel... Many coral heads that I could tell by my
track lines that I avoided in the past are on the charts.

If you have a Garmin and are going to the Bahamas UPGRADE!!!! ($75...
about the price to move my boat 12 NM) BTW... I also hear many other
chart companies are converting

wayne.b

I'm cruising the Bahamas right now as we speak using both the paper
version of the Explorer charts as well as the CMap NT electronic
version. They are both invaluable, and it would be extremely difficult
to navigate without them with any degree of precision. That said, even
the Explorer charts are not perfect and we have found some significant
discrepencies in some areas.

Visual piloting still rules the day when faced with conflicting
information.

(currently docked in Hope Town Harbor)

Copying computer CD Charts into a chartplotter Chris Electronics 17 September 4th 06 12:29 PM
Cost of Garmin charts for snowbird [email protected] Electronics 2 January 26th 06 03:49 AM
Carribean Sail Don White General 16 November 18th 05 01:23 AM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM