posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Dene

Default 12V mystery

The 12v plug-in on the helm started working sporadically. As I jiggled it
to work it , I noted that the am/fm/cd player started working sporadically
as well. (it's located in the cabin). However, when I jiggled the 12v plug
(while holding my jaw correctly), both work. Why would the be related? Do
I have a grounding problem? Also, I noticed the current to the ac adaptor
was insufficient to charge my laptop, whereas prior, it was more than
sufficient.

Boats!

And yes....I know next to nothing about electrical systems.

-Greg

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Terry K

A short should pop a fuse, somewhere, instantly. It sounds like an
intermittent open in the 12v line, or a bad common ground at the
outlet.

Sounds like the helm outlet is a connection point, a poor one at that,
to feed the stereo. Unscrew the centre insert or behind the panel
barrel and that should release it all for servicing or replacement.
Turn off the circuit and disconnect the terminals behind the (cigarette
lighter?) outlet, first, or disconnect the batteries.

The connectors on these things are usually push on spade connectors
which do not take to tightening well. The wire end terminals probably
are old and need new ones crimped on. Buy a decent crimper and keep it
aboard, if that is the problem, you might have more of the same
pending. It could be the wires are just twisted together back there,
I've seen worse.

Terry K

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
James

Nothing personal but I don't recomend crimped on ends to anyone on a boat.
In a few years you've just got another bad connection. Solder all your ends
on.

"Terry K" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Jeff

The ABYC disagrees:

E-8.15.18 Solder must not be the sole means of mechanical connection
in any circuit.
E-8.15.19 Solderless crimp-on connectors shall be attached with the
type of crimping tools designed for the connector used and which will
produce a connection meeting the requirements of ABYC E-8.15.14.

Just today I had a 12 volt socket fail because it used a solder only
connection.

Get a real crimper, not the $8 imitation. Use the heatshrinkable
crimp-on connectors.

James wrote:
Nothing personal but I don't recomend crimped on ends to anyone on a boat.
In a few years you've just got another bad connection. Solder all your ends
on.

"Terry K" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

JIMinFL

"James" wrote in message
ink.net...
Nothing personal but I don't recomend crimped on ends to anyone on a boat.
In a few years you've just got another bad connection. Solder all your
ends on.

Others do recommend crimped connections. Soldering can stiffen the wire and
cause breakage at the point it becomes flexible again, if not supported
against vibration and flexing.
Jim.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
ASG

Nice recommendation... thanks for the website...
for the record, we use heat-shrink crimped connections that have so far
surived our near circumnavigation of South America, including Easter
Island, Antarctica, and the Falklands....

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Richard Lamb

ASG wrote:

Nice recommendation... thanks for the website...
for the record, we use heat-shrink crimped connections that have so far
surived our near circumnavigation of South America, including Easter
Island, Antarctica, and the Falklands....

I used to have some heat shrink tube that has a thin layer of hot glue
inside. That stuff make a very nice hermetic seal.

I only had one size (1/4"), so it wasn't that useful.

But it led to adding small slivers of hot glue stick under the heat shrink

tubing when making up wire harnesses.

.02

Richard

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
James

But check the resistance of them 20 years later. I've found that after
enough time all crimp on connections corrode and develop a resistance that
eventually results in voltage drop. Nothing is totally water proof. The
only time I've ever seen a soldered connection fail is when so much current
is pulled through them that it melts the solder. That's hardly the
connection's fault.

"ASG" wrote in message
oups.com...
Nice recommendation... thanks for the website...
for the record, we use heat-shrink crimped connections that have so far
surived our near circumnavigation of South America, including Easter
Island, Antarctica, and the Falklands....

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Dene

"RG" wrote in message
. ..

"Dene" wrote in message
. ..
The 12v plug-in on the helm started working sporadically. As I jiggled

it
to work it , I noted that the am/fm/cd player started working

sporadically
as well. (it's located in the cabin). However, when I jiggled the 12v

plug
(while holding my jaw correctly), both work. Why would the be related?
Do
I have a grounding problem? Also, I noticed the current to the ac

adaptor
was insufficient to charge my laptop, whereas prior, it was more than
sufficient.

Boats!

And yes....I know next to nothing about electrical systems.

-Greg

I'd say either a loose connection on the positive or negative side. It
sounds like the stereo and 12v power socket are on the same circuit.

Also,
since messing with the power socket tends to cause the stereo to wig out,

it
could also be a short at the power socket (positive and negative making
contact). Either way, you need to trace the wiring and connections from

the
power socket back to the source of power and ground, looking for loose
connections and corrosion. Also, look inside the cylinder of the power
socket for corrosion. It's very common. If the socket itself is

corroded,
just replace it.

Thanks for all the advice. Replaced the socket today and tested all systems
on the circuit. Everything works great. Real test will be this
weekend....a 4 day cruise to Astoria and back.

-Greg

12V mystery Dene General 8 April 28th 06 06:09 AM
Sea of Cortez Mystery... Skipper General 0 February 19th 06 02:18 PM
Another stranger than fiction dental mystery Wayne.B General 1 January 13th 06 02:50 AM
Mystery Solved: What Fritz, Robbins, et al, do for a living NOYB General 0 October 5th 05 10:00 PM