posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Dene

Default 12V mystery

"RG" wrote in message
. ..

"Dene" wrote in message
. ..
The 12v plug-in on the helm started working sporadically. As I jiggled

it
to work it , I noted that the am/fm/cd player started working

sporadically
as well. (it's located in the cabin). However, when I jiggled the 12v

plug
(while holding my jaw correctly), both work. Why would the be related?
Do
I have a grounding problem? Also, I noticed the current to the ac

adaptor
was insufficient to charge my laptop, whereas prior, it was more than
sufficient.

Boats!

And yes....I know next to nothing about electrical systems.

-Greg

I'd say either a loose connection on the positive or negative side. It
sounds like the stereo and 12v power socket are on the same circuit.

Also,
since messing with the power socket tends to cause the stereo to wig out,

it
could also be a short at the power socket (positive and negative making
contact). Either way, you need to trace the wiring and connections from

the
power socket back to the source of power and ground, looking for loose
connections and corrosion. Also, look inside the cylinder of the power
socket for corrosion. It's very common. If the socket itself is

corroded,
just replace it.

Thanks for all the advice. Replaced the socket today and tested all systems
on the circuit. Everything works great. Real test will be this
weekend....a 4 day cruise to Astoria and back.

-Greg