Glenn Heslop

Default Easy meals on a delivery crise

Great...so I'm glad I don't have 'nice-light-carpet' on my boat. :-)

Glenn.

"Evan Gatehouse" wrote in message
Bob wrote:
Dennis Pogson wrote:

They say that porridge tastes just the same when thrown up as when
swallowed.

DP

Hi:

Absolutely correct!

Plus porridge or oats have the added advantage of not leaving a stain
when seen for a second time. Try getting red wine and spaghetti stains
out of a nice light carpet. Not a pretty sight........... or smell.
Please don't ask how I know this ?
Barfing Bob

Canned peaches also have a similar reputation for easy bi-directional
movement.

Evan Gatehouse

Glenn Heslop

Here hear! That comes close to the issue....what sort of seas are you
expecting on your 4-day delivery & do you know if you or any of your crew
are historicaly susseptible to sea sickness. Myself, bouncing at sea
inexplicably the more I eat the better I feel...so I night not be a good one
to answer. :-)

Glenn.

"Don White" wrote in message
Dennis Pogson wrote:
Doug Vaughan wrote:

Anyone have any good ideas for easy meals on a delivery cruise?
The boat is brand new which means no utensils. However, it is
a really nice boat with refrigeration, stove and microwave.
I was thinking TV dinners. What are your favorites?
What are good snacks for at sea?

They say that porridge tastes just the same when thrown up as when
swallowed.

DP

I say go to your favourite Chinese Restaurant, order all you can carry and
live on the 'leftovers' for the three or so days. With all the MSG pumped
into the stuff it should hold up pretty good. If not...well, you will
probably upchuck whatever you eat anyway.

Bob

Glenn Heslop wrote:
Are you freaking kidding? Where the freak are you going in four days & be
expecting 75' seas where you can't cook?

Gad zooks !!!

75' seas!?!?!?
Where do you plan to drive your boat?!?!
With that kind of stuff, I would be pushing stuff up my................
to keep the nauseousness at bay. I didn't even sea that in the Bering!
50 and 60 but not 75' !

Astro Glide Bob

Matt O'Toole

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 02:11:25 +0000, Doug Vaughan wrote:

Anyone have any good ideas for easy meals on a delivery cruise?
The boat is brand new which means no utensils. However, it is
a really nice boat with refrigeration, stove and microwave.
I was thinking TV dinners. What are your favorites?
What are good snacks for at sea?

Try the frozen food section at Trader Joe's. There's enough microwaveable
yuppie chow there to keep you going for a month without eating the same
thing twice.

If you want simple stuff for bad seas, try a backpacking store, where
you'll find plenty of decent, just-add-water meals. Speaking of which,
it's hard to beat Stove Top! Ditto Trader Joe's instant couscous.

Matt O.

Bill

Doug Vaughan wrote:

Anyone have any good ideas for easy meals on a delivery cruise?
The boat is brand new which means no utensils. However, it is
a really nice boat with refrigeration, stove and microwave.
I was thinking TV dinners. What are your favorites?
What are good snacks for at sea?

Fruit cups, fresh fruit, trail mix and any finger food is good. Make
sandwiches and coffee ahead of time. Anything you have to cook will
probably not get done particularly in the first few days offshore or when
conditions get rough and everyone is sick.
--
Bill Boyher
s/v Summer Rose

MMC

Calm down big fella!
I'm not the original poster. I cook regular food when out and about.
I'm going to try, or taste test the packaged meals to see if they are
suitable substitutes MREs.
I work for an international company that has operations in Africa and the
Middle East. We occansionally have need for fairly large quantities of MREs,
and have had some problems getting them since the war started.
MMC

"Glenn Heslop" wrote in message
Are you freaking kidding? Where the freak are you going in four days & be
expecting 75' seas where you can't cook? You could at least bring some
home-cooked meals in foil wrap to re-heat....or even lunch meat and bread.
Does this 50' craft not have refrigeration?

Glenn.

"MMC" wrote in message
Thanks for the links Keith, I'm going to try "Heater Meals".
MMC
"Keith" wrote in message
oups.com...
Here's some ideas:
http://www.theepicenter.com/
http://www.heatermeals.com/
http://www.brinkmanfarms.com/
http://www.werlingandsons.com/
http://www.evert-fresh.com/
May be overkill for a 4 day trip, but includes some quick and easy
options.

Louise

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 02:11:25 GMT, "Doug Vaughan"
wrote:

Anyone have any good ideas for easy meals on a delivery cruise?
The boat is brand new which means no utensils. However, it is
a really nice boat with refrigeration, stove and microwave.
I was thinking TV dinners. What are your favorites?
What are good snacks for at sea?

I'd take a bag of dishes and cutlery and pots with me - that wouldn't
be much trouble and would make things much more pleasant. Soup in
mugs is a nice hot snack/meal that doesn't need two hands under way.
Knorr-Swiss packet soups are especially tasty and typically take about
8-20 minutes to make. Tortilla shells (wraps) in zip-lock bags keep
palatable longer than bread. Mayonnaise, mustard, and that handy
amalgam Dijonnaise all come in plastic squeeze bottles. Sandwich meat
and cheese can both be purchased pre-sliced in resealable bags.
Smoked salmon, cream cheese, and bagels make a splendid cold
one-handed breakfast, and you can simplify even further by just using
smoked-salmon cream cheese.

Have you got an oven? I haven't sailed with either an oven or a
microwave, but either of them would open up lots of previously-frozen
possibilities such as lasagna, Jamaican patties, meat pies etc.

When I feel queasy I like to eat grapes, plums, or saltine crackers,
and when things are too busy or too rough to make sandwiches in the
galley I like to have chocolate and candies and granola bars in the
pockets of my foulies.

Someone else mentioned taking drink mixes rather than limiting
yourselves to tank water. On a delivery cruise on someone else's
boat, I wouldn't bother mixing up powdered drink mixes or frozen
lemonade, which can potentially be messy - I'd take individual cans
and plastic bottles of an assortment of one-serving-size drinks
(water, lemonade, pop-with-caffeine, pop-without-caffeine) and keep
some cold and some warm.

I don't know your arrangements with the owner ... but I'd probably
also pack along enough cleaning supplies that I could wipe down the
whole galley and heads afterwards to leave no traces. I'd also go
prepared with sealable plastic bags for garbage and recycling.