CB

Default replacing forward cockpit drain hose, valves, ranger 26

DSK wrote:

The basics of the right way:

Always start with clean thread.

Always double check that you're using the right tape for the
service.

Start one thread back from the end of the nipple. The
initial thread contact must be metal to metal.

Wrap the tape the same direction as the threads, so that as
you screw in the fitting, the tape wraps tighter.

Never more than three wraps.

Never put teflon tape on any non-tapered fitting, and never
use teflon tape as a substitute for the right size & pitch
of thread.

What is recommended for a bronze-on-bronze straight thread fitting?
Anyone have pipe dope brand suggestions? Is there anything specifically
wrong with teflon tape on a straight fitting, and what is it? I've seen
here and there that teflon on NPS is fine, and one of the reps at a
west marine shop just told me that that would be fine..

I have also read that teflon tape is a lot cleaner than dope/goo..
which I can believe.

But of course I must turn to the experts on this group

Thanks,

-CB