Ian Taylor

Default onan generator

All,
I have an Onan genset in my '86 searay 340. It looks like the cooling pump
is not pumping water, and the genset is overheating an shutting down after a
couple of minutes. What is involved in changing this pump? Does anyone know
of a place of the web that might offer directions?

Also, the generator "hunts" causing the voltage to fluctuate greatly. Anyone
know how to fix that?

Thanks
Ian

Steve Lusardi

Ian,
Your description is very vague, but your cooling problem is simple. First,
there are probably 2 water pumps as most generators are fresh water cooled.
So the first question would be what pump? I assume it is the raw water pump,
because somehow you detected that there is no water flow. If so, it is most
likely a rubber impeller self priming sea water variety. These are driven by
belts. Is the belt broken? Is there blockage in the sea water inlet, like a
plugged strainer? You know, the tank thing with a removable cover that the
water hose connects to from the pump. If not those, perhaps the impeller is
burned out because you ran it dry? I don't mean to be condesending, but your
question indicates you are not a tool person. If that is so, perhaps a
mechanic is in order. On the hunting issue, that is most likely a governor
issue, which will be part of the fuel injection pump. Although there are
adjustments for this type of a fault, I assume it once ran correctly, if so,
this indicates that something changed, like mechanical wear, so a detailed
inspection should be performed BEFORE any adustment is made, but if you are
not a tool person, definitely hire a mechanic.
Steve

"Ian Taylor" wrote in message
All,
I have an Onan genset in my '86 searay 340. It looks like the cooling pump
is not pumping water, and the genset is overheating an shutting down after
a couple of minutes. What is involved in changing this pump? Does anyone
know of a place of the web that might offer directions?

Also, the generator "hunts" causing the voltage to fluctuate greatly.
Anyone know how to fix that?

Thanks
Ian

You

In article ,
"Ian Taylor" wrote:

All,
I have an Onan genset in my '86 searay 340. It looks like the cooling pump
is not pumping water, and the genset is overheating an shutting down after a
couple of minutes. What is involved in changing this pump? Does anyone know
of a place of the web that might offer directions?

Also, the generator "hunts" causing the voltage to fluctuate greatly. Anyone
know how to fix that?

Thanks
Ian

Give us a bit more information....Diesel or Gas... Model Number.....
Kw Rating.... then we can help with specific information....

500w self-starting DC generator anyone? Chuck Cox Cruising 64 March 6th 06 05:30 AM
Water generator or Solar power questions Skip Gundlach Cruising 1 December 2nd 05 05:07 AM
Generator question U General 5 November 28th 05 03:23 AM
Marine generator question (cost?) NOYB General 6 November 16th 05 03:08 AM
China Generator Manufacturer [email protected] Boat Building 0 October 6th 05 02:33 PM